Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    RIM + Palm seems a little too close to RIP.

Not to say they shouldn't throw out QNX and adopt WebOS instead. Since QNX is even less ready for prime time than WebOS. (No email client till 2012!)
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    RIM + Palm seems a little too close to RIP.

Not to say they shouldn't throw out QNX and adopt WebOS instead. Since QNX is even less ready for prime time than WebOS. (No email client till 2012!)
    For RIM, buying WebOS would be an admission of failure that i'm not sure that the culture allows.
    sinsin07 and Vistaus like this.
    If it turned to be Oracle ... Then, I would gladly say that webOS had a chance.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    For RIM, buying WebOS would be an admission of failure that i'm not sure that the culture allows.
    It can't really be any more of an admission of failure than the PlayBook fire sales, constant software delays, and inability to make QNX fit into their archaic infrastructure.
    A licensing agreement supports the Reuters Whitman quote about webOS Tablets 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    fundamentally, what has changed in the last two months since the CTO and chairman said that HP was incapable of making hardware to compete with Samsung and others in the tablet market? Are they suddenly going to plunk down billions of dollars to develop the capacity to compete?
    well, both the CEO and CTO from 2 months age are gone. Maybe Meg is dumping all the negative folks that agreed with Leo's direction for HP.

I would like to see HP keep webOS and build more consumer tablets and license it to a legit phone maker.
    Vistaus likes this.
    You guys should see the drama over at twitter!
    If webOS died today, it will die with honor ...

I think I am signing off to sleep now. Going to check this later!

Good Night,
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't know about you but I could go for another round of size and scale and true multitasking and synergy and port petitions and fan-made commercials and laptopmag.com polls and mockup contests.

It's the best ride in the park.
    That's not a ride, it's a circus side show attraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Meg.. last good kin of HP board of director that can save WebOS life.

If I'm in a conference room negotiating with Meg on the purchase price of the webOS,
    my first question will be:

"Meg, would you mind opening your purse and show us what kind of smartphoen you carry?"

(she opens the purse and takes out an Android phone.... or worse, an iPhone 4S)
  10.    #70  
    The meeting just started and these were Meg introductory words to the webOS staff:

In an odd turn of events, HP CEO Meg Whitman just told a room full of Palm and HP employees that the company doesn't yet know what to do with webOS. "It's really important to me to make the right decision, not the fast decision," she told the room, adding that a decision would come in the next three to four weeks.

This comes as a bit of a surprise, as reports recently swirled that the computer-maker has been in discussions to sell of the troubled mobile platform to the highest bidder.

"If HP decides to do this [to keep webOS], we're going to do it in a very significant way over a multi year period," she said.

http://www.precentral.net/hp-still-n...-what-do-webos
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    "If HP decides to do this [to keep webOS], we're going to do it in a very significant way over a multi year period," she said.

Sound to me like if they don't think the webOS or Touchpad 2 can become the iPad killer, it won't happen?

F1
  12.    #72  
    Whitman also said the only reason she hasn't made a decision yet is because she had to first figure out what to do with HP's PC business (which she decided to keep) and manage the acquisition of Autonomy. Whitman added that she knows the added delay on a final decision about webOS is "unsatisfying," but that "the economics of this business are tough," and she needs time to decide whether HP should invest in webOS at great cost or if "there's another way to create that ecosystem." We're also told that Whitman focused primarily on tablets and said that "things get more complicated if you add in phones."
    Well, at least WebOS is still breathing and has some life. That's somewhat encouraging.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  14.    #74  
    Yeah, they are keeping webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    If I'm in a conference room negotiating with Meg on the purchase price of the webOS,
    my first question will be:

"Meg, would you mind opening your purse and show us what kind of smartphoen you carry?"

(she opens the purse and takes out an Android phone.... or worse, an iPhone 4S)
    She uses an iPhone.
    Am I the only one thinking, sell/give the best bits to Microsoft to be used in Windows 8 then HP have 1st shot at Windows 8 on their tablet.
    I really can't see HP keeping webOS. 2011 turns to be smartphone OS graveyard and I'm afraid webOS will join Meego and Symbian.
    New bidder... I hope Nvidia!!
    That company already announced Quad Core CPU base ARM9.

If Nvidia want to buy WebOS, then this will change the mobile market Industry.

Nvidia have many partners in gaming industry and have solid technology in 3D. They start to make ARM cpu showed that they interested in mobile market.

I know Nvidia is hardware company that sell chips to partners, but if they bold enough to make mobile devices by their own, that should be very possible. Moreover to beat their strong rival such AMD & Intel, Nvidia need to have other weapon or start to make market in gaming mobile industry.

Imagine how good it will be if NVidia made phone with WebOS that have solid 3D experience. Fast browsing because accelerated with their GPU. OpenCL will boost webOS performance in many way.

Ok... Stop dreaming.. It is just a 'mad' idea from me

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

so whats she's basically saying is that if they do decide to keep webOS, it'll be a marathon, not a sprint.

where have i heard this before?
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    so whats she's basically saying is that if they do decide to keep webOS, it'll be a marathon, not a sprint.

where have i heard this before?
    Did she suggest that they were going to "double down"?

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast