Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    winsauce if webOS gets a bigger boat to sail in, however the realist in me tells me that V2.0 will sport winblows 8.
    nothing but unfounded rumors right now.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullathomas View Post
    I sure hope they don't try to make a "new" business model that will likely fail again. I mean you have two proven business models...license it for free (which 3rd parties would likely accept because then they won't have to pay the Android, Microsoft Tax) or start with fricken phones and complement them with a tablet. Not the other way around!

They have likely stopped all work on WebOS 2.x, which is why the Pre2/3/Veer crowd won't be getting any updates any time soon. Any phone that gets released will be with WebOS 3.x (kind of like how iOS and Android are doing it now)...and gee if you only released a 4inch slate like everyone has been clamoring for maybe you will get a few more sales...speaking of sales...you have to take a loss on the devices to start. Undercut Android phones and give away low end phones with your laptops and desktops of (gasp a TouchPad 2). Make money on the app catalog while you are getting the userbase up.

If you give another half *** attempt at drawing consumers you will infuriate your existing user base even more...and we will likely walk away
    No they will take some time to do something like most organizations, using a business model to create, deliver and capture value (value might be in the economic field for HP).

This process is part of business strategy: purpose, offerings, strategies, infrastructure, organizational structures, trading practices, and operational processes and policies.

The essence of a business model is that it defines the manner by which the business enterprise delivers value to customers, entices customers to pay for value, and converts those payments to profit: it thus reflects management’s hypothesis about what customers want, how they want it, and how an enterprise can organize to best meet those needs, get paid for doing so, and make a profit.

Business models are used to describe and classify businesses (especially in an entrepreneurial setting), but they are also used by managers inside companies to explore possibilities for future development. Also, well known business models operate as recipes for creative managers.

In simple words to start up thinking the idea again and again like a brain storm way and define a clear business model and it includes a dollars budget, break even point, TIR etc financial stuff.

About new webos smartphones , sorry to say this, but I donīt see an HP entushiasm to re-boot it at any time, but the webOS tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well we generally do know because the sort of capacity we are talking about either requires billions of dollars in fiance, ODM contacts etc. The sorts of things that digitimes and other industry sites report on.

Samsung can sell every Galaxy II it can make, why is it going to want to be a ODM for HP on the basis of receiving manufacturing cost? Plus it's a repeat of what happened with the Touchpad, they used what hardware they had to hand rather than taking the time to get it right - why would another bodge-job make any sense?
    What I meant was that when we are talking about the decision making process, HP is very schizophrenic and secretive. No one but the folks at the very top know what they will do next.

As far as licensing hardware, auto manufactures license their vehicles out to other companies all the time. Volkswagen licensed the Chrysler Town and Country/Dodge Caravan and re-badged it as the Routan. Chrysler has no problem selling Town and Country vans so why did they license it to Volkswagen? I'm also sure that Volkswagen did not pay sticker price for each vehicle either. Point is , HP could do the same with someone else's hardware. Especially if it is an ARM based device designed to run Android because the core operating system (Linux) is the same. They just need to re-write the drivers and some other low level and high level work. There is no guarantee that if they use their own hardware, which they did with the TouchPad, that they won't bodge everything also.
  5.    #45  
    Video: Reuter: HP to sell Palm software unit.

I just uploaded this video Reuters has added to the original post , however the article content stills . (post 1)

Is Reuters guessing RIM as the most probably buyer in case it happens.

RIM shares price are down , below the acceptable standard.

Video content Summary:

Summary of business headlines: Hewlett-Packard looking to sell Palm software-sources; Research In Motion downgraded on market share worries; Global October sales were stronger than expected at McDonald's.

Hewlett-Packard is looking to sell off the Palm webOS mobile software platform that it just bought last year, say four sources close to the matter. The unit could sell for hundreds of millions of dollars, but would fall far short of the $1.2 billion HP paid for Palm last year. Industry sources say a number of companies are interested in making the purchase. One of the companies interested - Research In Motion - could certainly use some help. The BlackBerry maker is sure to lose more market share in the U.S. and see slower growth abroad, according to an analyst who downgraded the stock. Product delays, including the slowed rollout of its new operating system, has left RIM playing catch up as other smartphone makers gain ground.

And speaking of gaining ground, McDonald's posted hearty October sales at restaurants opened around the world for more than a year. The fast food giant saw a stronger-than-expected 5-1/2 percent sales uptick, thanks to its popular monopoly game. Even Europe, which is Mickey D's biggest market, is doing better than expected, despite financial turmoil and fears of a recession. Global customers are responding well to McDonald's new menu. Conway Gittens, Reuters

Original post about this news: http://www.precentral.net/reuters-hp...llions-dollars
    Last edited by akitayo; 11/08/2011 at 01:06 PM.
  6.    #46  
    webOS all-hands meeting called for this afternoon, answers likely to result

http://www.precentral.net/webos-all-...-likely-result

Buyout or webOS 2.0 tablet ?

4:30 P.M PT

Source: Exclusive: HP to hold all-hands meeting tonight, fate of webOS likely to be decided | The Verge
    Last edited by akitayo; 11/08/2011 at 03:18 PM.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is the roller-coaster about to end or is it another time for another ride?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is the roller-coaster about to end or is it another time for another ride?
    I don't know about you but I could go for another round of size and scale and true multitasking and synergy and port petitions and fan-made commercials and laptopmag.com polls and mockup contests.

It's the best ride in the park.
    sinsin07 and chalx like this.
    IBM and Oracle have been debunked as suitors by allthingsD.

That leaves on the Reuters list: Amazon, RIM, Intel, ??wild card?? buyer
    or HP keeps it.
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if it was RIM?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I don't think webOS can succeed without a presence on both phones and tablets.
    If I had to choose one, phones, phones, phones!!! We want new webOS phones!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Not funny at all.
    There's word that RIM called an emergency 2-day meeting today...
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    IBM and Oracle have been debunked as suitors by allthingsD.

That leaves on the Reuters list: Amazon, RIM, Intel, ??wild card?? buyer
    or HP keeps it.
    I can't see amazon or intel or even RIM - so that leaves Wild card... KFC?

no I'm all out of serious ideas...
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I'm pulling so hard for RIM if only for all the funny adages we'll see on the tech blogs.
    Well in 4 hours we will know what will happen, finally!
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Anyone see this about the banks and HP? the short version is that HP overpaid for Palm and other companies:

As H.P. Shops, Its Bankers Do Very Nicely -- Andrew Ross Sorkin - NYTimes.com

Maybe it will go for a song this afternoon.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Anything would be preferable to selling it to Oracle.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just think if someone does buy it, we can simply cut and paste our old posts but simply change the name of the company!
    sinsin07 likes this.
  20.    #60  
    A song for HP, just to encourage them

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast