Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    quote me on this one:

HP has NO desire to make any webOS products. HP is not getting the price they want for it so Meg is just saying this because HP has no real leverage in their negotiations with potential buyers since they essentially said they want nothing to do with webOS.

I've seen plenty of companies not get the price they think their asset is worth so they decide to keep running and they put new products on the market. If so, to date the signs pointed to HP not using webOS in tablets (the announcements at the PSG call in Oct) and perhaps using it elsewhere in the company. What makes this Reuters story interesting is this is the first time Whitman has suggested webOS 2.0 on tablets.

I'm still wondering what influence Ruby is adding to the mix. There are many signs that webOS is continuing to innovate, the dev program opening is just another way for them to feed the pipe.
    Touchpad Go.
    Rnp likes this.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    HP is confirmed to exhibit in CES 2012 booth N246 (is that the same booth Palm was before?)

Link: 2012 CES: Exhibitor Directory - Hewlett Packard
    But it goes to CES every year doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    the CTO and chairman said that HP was incapable of making hardware to compete with Samsung and others in the tablet market
    I'd like to see that quote. Really?

Also, I think HP can simply make that Windows 8 tablet, and favour a second product around it: A webOS version running in the exact same hardware. Zero hardware costs for HP, while capitalizing the webOS software division also at no cost. Hey, perhaps it's easy to do too!
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    I'd like to see that quote. Really?
    some context:

Explaining HP's apparent about-face on the mobile market, Lane was candid in saying that HP's TouchPad tablet was "a generation behind" the iPad. He added that "the Koreans are going to be really good at the hardware, and Apple is more worried about them than they are us." By separating the webOS mobile operating system from the hardware business, Lane said HP will be able to take advantage of what he described as "the best platform in the world" for commercial application development.
    IW500: HP Chairman Defends Strategy Shifts - Software - Enterprise Applications - Informationweek

The quote:

Lane made it very clear that HP has definitely thrown in the towel with tablets and mobile phones, saying, "We can't compete in delivering best of breed devices to consumers. Our focus is on business infrastructure."
    IW500: HP Answers Questions, But More Remain - Global-cio - Executive insights/interviews - Informationweek
    Hi All

I gotta tell ya, this is the first time that a posting like this has not resulted in a bit of an adrenalin rush and the associated glimmer of hope.

I'm just so darned tired of "hanging in there".

IMO, every day that passes without a deal with SOMEONE to take on WebOS is another nail in the coffin.

Sorry - maybe I just missed my morning caffeine dose, but these jokers at HP have me feeling quite demoralized. Yay.. Whitman says "X", but <Boo>, their inaction says "Y".

Riddle me this, folks: What would it take for HP to actually be succesful with WebOS.. and I do NOT mean "what would it take to make us P|C'ers feel good"... I mean "what would it take to be a commercial success?" I can't answer that anymore... too much time and too many blown opportunities have passed.

/mope

russ
    Thankyou CGK. I liked this quote a lot:

By separating the webOS mobile operating system from the hardware business, Lane said HP will be able to take advantage of what he described as "the best platform in the world" for commercial application development
    You can read it in a way that makes the decision to dump hardware look like a good one. As if they thought "what a load of crap hardware for this great software, we suck at hardware, and will push software instead". Immediately, they sign a contract with an OEM to build a killer pair of phone and tablet to sell it with webOS 4 (which is webOS 3 with ZERO bugs and every popular app built in) for less than the competition's comparable product.

(wishful thinking)
  8.    #28  
    CGK I would dare to say Lane thoughts were before (on sept) the last HP webcast Oct 26 with Meg ,Todd and the Financial HP head executive ( I donīt remember her name) and before the latest news by Reuters at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by safeguard3 View Post
    webOS is going overseas.
    Well spotted. Just hope the company is as wise too. We would prepare a very warm welcome over here...
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post

Riddle me this, folks: What would it take for HP to actually be succesful with WebOS.. and I do NOT mean "what would it take to make us P|C'ers feel good"... I mean "what would it take to be a commercial success?" I can't answer that anymore... too much time and too many blown opportunities have passed.

/mope

russ
    Leaving the tablets aside for a minute, the most worrying problem for anyone looking to buy or license WebOS is that in regards to Smart-phones, the platform has gone absolutely nowhere since 2009 and is now at the stage where the install base is so near to zero as to mean as a smartphone platform, WebOS simply does not exist outside a few hobbyists and contract holdouts.

CGK I would dare to say Lane thoughts were before (on sept) the last HP webcast Oct 26 with Meg ,Todd and the Financial HP head executive ( I donīt remember her name) and before the latest news by Reuters at this time.
    Remember Lane is like the head guy at the Board, and Meg was there with Lane in September
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    But what in terms of their production, operations or financial has changed in the last two months? Absolutely nothing. Even if they decided tomorrow to start making WebOS devices nothing of significance has changed, so why would it be any different this time around?

There are two aspects to having a successful product or service - the first is a strategy, Meg might have that, the second is having the capacity, expertise or resources to carry out that strategy - they seem to be lacking this.
    Last edited by CGK; 11/08/2011 at 10:09 AM.
    More fundamentally, what has changed in the last two months since the CTO and chairman said that HP was incapable of making hardware to compete with Samsung and others in the tablet market? Are they suddenly going to plunk down billions of dollars to develop the capacity to compete?
    Who knows? This is HP we are talking about.

To get them back to the market quick, they need to license existing phone and tablet hardware, at manufacturing cost, from one of the major hardware makers and put webOS on it. It will save them in development costs and time. I say license the Samsung Galaxy II line and plunk webOS on it for the time being.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Who knows? This is HP we are talking about.
    Well we generally do know because the sort of capacity we are talking about either requires billions of dollars in fiance, ODM contacts etc. The sorts of things that digitimes and other industry sites report on.

To get them back to the market quick, they need to license existing phone and tablet hardware, at manufacturing cost, from one of the major hardware makers and put webOS on it. It will save them in development costs and time. I say license the Samsung Galaxy II line and plunk webOS on it for the time being.
    Samsung can sell every Galaxy II it can make, why is it going to want to be a ODM for HP on the basis of receiving manufacturing cost? Plus it's a repeat of what happened with the Touchpad, they used what hardware they had to hand rather than taking the time to get it right - why would another bodge-job make any sense?
    It makes sense ... Although I can see why really trying so hard on tablets can basically lead HP to another catastrophe, HP was clear from the beginning that they want tablets and not phones. They made several statements since the purchase of Palm long time ago.

I guess they learned through their smartphone lines based on WinMob that it isn't their game.

If they pushed for another tablet yet again thinking that a "one-more-try" is going to be what it takes .... We are looking at the next titanic ... I mean the next webOS .... Ohhh wait!

(webOS is going to replace titanic in all metaphors, I guess )
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Completely changing the subject for a minute - if the patents that HP got from Palm were so red-hot as some people claim, why during a period of patent warfare, are HP still looking to take a loss on the $1.2 billion they paid for HP?
    Completely changing the subject for a minute - if the patents that HP got from Palm were so red-hot as some people claim, why during a period of patent warfare, are HP still looking to take a loss on the $1.2 billion they paid for HP?
    I guess you mean "they paid for Palm?"

If so, many people have been couting these patents as patents that you can use to assure yourself rather then attacking others ... Theortically speaking, HP is in a great position as it hold so many great patents from Palm; one of them is the smartphone concept of integrating a handheld device along with a cellphone.

If I am not mistaken if you pay an amount of money yearly "guessing" to the owner of the patent you can still use it ... Of course, if the onwer agress! Who knows? maybe other are already paying that ...

I am not really sure about these legal mambu jambu! So don't quote me on that .
  18.    #38  
    But what in terms of their production, operations or financial has changed in the last two months? Absolutely nothing. Even if they decided tomorrow to start making WebOS devices nothing of significance has changed, so why would it be any different this time around?

There are two aspects to having a successful product or service - the first is a strategy, Meg might have that, the second is having the capacity, expertise or resources to carry out that strategy - they seem to be lacking this.
    They are working on that:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...ml#post3225979
    I sure hope they don't try to make a "new" business model that will likely fail again. I mean you have two proven business models...license it for free (which 3rd parties would likely accept because then they won't have to pay the Android, Microsoft Tax) or start with fricken phones and complement them with a tablet. Not the other way around!

They have likely stopped all work on WebOS 2.x, which is why the Pre2/3/Veer crowd won't be getting any updates any time soon. Any phone that gets released will be with WebOS 3.x (kind of like how iOS and Android are doing it now)...and gee if you only released a 4inch slate like everyone has been clamoring for maybe you will get a few more sales...speaking of sales...you have to take a loss on the devices to start. Undercut Android phones and give away low end phones with your laptops and desktops of (gasp a TouchPad 2). Make money on the app catalog while you are getting the userbase up.

If you give another half *** attempt at drawing consumers you will infuriate your existing user base even more...and we will likely walk away
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Remember Lane is like the head guy at the Board, and Meg was there with Lane in September
    I see, but they re-thinked and gave us a different perspective in October and are now working on a new webOS business model.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...ml#post3225979
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast