Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    First .aspx is ASP.NET which is the .NET version of Microsoft's Active Server Pages. This is the Microsoft server side scripting engine. Since .asp and .aspx are server side scripts they only return flat HTML which is supported by all browsers, including webOS. Now that flat HTML can include some client side scripting such as Javascript, which should also be supported by the webOS browser but those imbedded client side scripts are not dependent on the file extension and could cause the same problem if embedded in .php, .html, or any other type of file.

That said some site developers decide that it is easier to check what browser a person is using and block all browsers that the developer was either too lazy to test for compatibility, or just didn't want to put in the effort to make it work. Sadly if they do this, then you just have to use a supported browser. Thankfully this is getting a bit more rare, but nothing would **** me off more back in the day than hitting a website that required Internet Exploder when I was not even using a Windows platform much less IE.
    mav (sorry, top gun moment )... do you have any idea what kind of changes could have been made from the original pre to the pre3/TP versions of the browser that would break a website's login behavior? everything worked great on original pre; broken on the new stuff. while i understand .net is all server-side stuff, that's the only common denominator i've been able to find among the sites where i've seen this behavior... so what else could it be? it's pretty clear the browser isn't being blocked, so i don't think it's a lazy developer problem. webkit related?? tia!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    gee. I don't know. It might actually get a better result than coming here and wasting time *****ing about it. At least if there was enough demand, maybe it would convince some company to do it. Or those people could stop being cheap and get splashtop. That too is another alternative. And don't say it isn't because that is just as much a solution as a person saying ' install cm7'
    Splashtop works great.. worth every penny

I'm deciding if I want to snag smartoffice myself right now.. I don't edit much on my tp mostly view ss and docs but the integration to dropbox I just read about is appealing. So maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by kins View Post
    mav (sorry, top gun moment )... do you have any idea what kind of changes could have been made from the original pre to the pre3/TP versions of the browser that would break a website's login behavior? everything worked great on original pre; broken on the new stuff. while i understand .net is all server-side stuff, that's the only common denominator i've been able to find among the sites where i've seen this behavior... so what else could it be? it's pretty clear the browser isn't being blocked, so i don't think it's a lazy developer problem. webkit related?? tia!
    I have only used the latest webOS (3.04) on a Touchpad, so I am not sure what has changed in webOS. If you can't get logged into a web site using known good credentials it is generally either a problem with cookies or a problem with the certificates. If you give me a couple of sites that you are having problems with I can go create an account there and see if I can't figure out what is happening. Just make sure the sites you list are sites that anyone can join...ie: forums, game sites, discussion groups, newspapers (non-paid), etc. are ok, just no banks, no investment firms, no pay to join sites, etc.
    JAD914 likes this.
    not to be a jerk, but it seems like you were trying to use a $99 device to do a $600 device's job. For a casual use device, this is amazing for the money and I haven't seen any issues with planningcenteronline on the touchpad. Could just be me though, I am an IT professional. My experience with insurance and banking sites is that if you aren't using internet exploder than it usually has issues. Splashtop remote will fix most of your other issues. Also make sure you have buttah and remove tap ripple installed via preware patches
    Quote Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
    not to be a jerk, but it seems like you were trying to use a $99 device to do a $600 device's job. For a casual use device, this is amazing for the money and I haven't seen any issues with planningcenteronline on the touchpad. Could just be me though, I am an IT professional. My experience with insurance and banking sites is that if you aren't using internet exploder than it usually has issues. Splashtop remote will fix most of your other issues. Also make sure you have buttah and remove tap ripple installed via preware patches
    To be honest I see zero changes in 3.04 using or not using Buttah.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
    Well keep in mind that the 32GB WAS a $600 device when it came out. The only thing that has changed in that regard was the clearance pricing of the model by HP. I'm also an IT professional (whips out card) and I agree that if you are looking for site compatibility IE is the standard in insurance/banking/healthcare/education regardless of their lack of adherence to web standards, and a Webkit browser is not going to work for a lot of the content out there.

The Touchpad browser is going to be pretty good for basic consumption, but don't count on it to support future and even some current standards. You'll have to eventually lean on ICS for continued support like that. I like WebOS but I think we can all see the writing on the wall: You either use WebOS 'til the wheels fall off as long as it meets your needs OR You load ICS when it becomes available and gain more flexibility and end-user community support.
    Quote Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
    Well keep in mind that the 32GB WAS a $600 device when it came out. The only thing that has changed in that regard was the clearance pricing of the model by HP. I'm also an IT professional (whips out card) and I agree that if you are looking for site compatibility IE is the standard in insurance/banking/healthcare/education regardless of their lack of adherence to web standards, and a Webkit browser is not going to work for a lot of the content out there.

The Touchpad browser is going to be pretty good for basic consumption, but don't count on it to support future and even some current standards. You'll have to eventually lean on ICS for continued support like that. I like WebOS but I think we can all see the writing on the wall: You either use WebOS 'til the wheels fall off as long as it meets your needs OR You load ICS when it becomes available and gain more flexibility and end-user community support.
    Well the value of an item is determined by how much someone is willing to pay for it. So in that respect I would not consider the 32GB TP a $600 device.

I agree that MS is (for web designers) considered the standard (even though IE violates so many ISO standards it's unreal) but luckily at least Firefox and Chrome are becoming more and more standard. In fact I can't remember the last site other than microsoft.com that required me to use IE over FF. I really doubt the webOS stock browser will ever be a standard, so our best hope is for a FF or Chrome port to webOS for best compatibility. By that token I doubt the built in iOS browser will ever be fully complaint either. It's always going to require a 3rd party browser such as FF or Chrome.
    I have only used the latest webOS (3.04) on a Touchpad, so I am not sure what has changed in webOS. If you can't get logged into a web site using known good credentials it is generally either a problem with cookies or a problem with the certificates. If you give me a couple of sites that you are having problems with I can go create an account there and see if I can't figure out what is happening. Just make sure the sites you list are sites that anyone can join...ie: forums, game sites, discussion groups, newspapers (non-paid), etc. are ok, just no banks, no investment firms, no pay to join sites, etc.
    ko, nevermind... i think i got it, and i was totally wrong. looks like a user agent thing after all. i ended up poking around other threads talking about changing the TP agent, and *poof* it worked.

it's been a looong time since i've done anything like this, so thanks for sparking my brain a bit.

open mouth, insert foot!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Guys... I'm dealing with a lot of other issues right now secondary to gadgets and gizmo's. You all have good points, yes I wrote too much info, I will condense it down soon, and no... you can't complain much about a $99 unit (That I paid $200 for btw). It has it's purpose and uses, probably not the best choice for me as I'm expecting too much.

The biggest gripe is the browser not jiving with certain .aspx type sites... if that makes sense. It's apparently a .NET server language. Safari won't run it either. The only examples I can give are much too confidential unfortunately. Business servers where users like me log in and maintain/upload/download client information.

I'll be in touch with more when I can.

Thank you all!

Jason
    So far, no good.
    ko, nevermind... i think i got it, and i was totally wrong. looks like a user agent thing after all. i ended up poking around other threads talking about changing the TP agent, and *poof* it worked.

Tell us more.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockula View Post
    The biggest gripe is the browser not jiving with certain .aspx type sites... if that makes sense. It's apparently a .NET server language. Safari won't run it either. The only examples I can give are much too confidential unfortunately. Business servers where users like me log in and maintain/upload/download client information.
    As mentioned I think the fact that they are .aspx sites is a coincidence. As I mentioned that is server side scripting and thus browser platform makes 0 difference to ASP.NET. The only possible reasons you are having problems with these sites are that they are doing some sort of platform validation and rejecting your connection, they are also using some client side scripting such as javascript that the browser can't handle, or it is a certificate issue. I have no problems with the .aspx sites that I visit. Normally in this case I would use an HTTP sniffer such as HTTPWatch to to see exactly what the site is sending and receiving to find the incompatibilities. So unfortunately without a specific example that I can check, I can't help diagnose the problem any further.

Hmm thinking about this, a sniffer tool for webOS would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong, I love touchscreen tablet devices and have several: Hp Touchpad, Acer A500, Galaxy Tab (1st Gen), as well as an iPad. They each have promise, but I agree with many, they are primarily for entertainment and, in a pinch, a substitute for a laptop or PC.

I think the best alternative for you would be to pick up a Windows slate, such as the Acer Iconia W500. I just purchased a refurbished model for around $360 and immediately dumped Windows 7 and loaded Windows 8 Preview on it. So far it is an almost perfect combo. Windows 8 seems particularly suited to touchscreen devices. Plus it supports all the familiar programs and has a great onscreen keyboard.

Even if Apple would like you to believe otherwise, touchscreen slates have been around for a long time and if you really need the portability of a tablet and the functionality of a PC, pick up a good used slate. Fujitsu, HP, Acer, and Motion Computing all make great tablets. Some are pen input only and some are dual touch.
    Check out ebay for a good deal.

Maybe a tablet PC would give you the functionality you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Tell us more.
    sure thing!

i originally didn't think that the user agent was an issue mostly because my original pre browser worked just fine for everything, and the pre3/TP run pretty much the same thing... thought it was likely something else, and that's when i keyed in on the asp coincidence. i finally had some time to really start digging into this and found some asp sites that worked just fine, so it got me rethinking the user agent thing. so, i started poking around a bit more and found this thread...

iPhone User Agent Spoof - How to make all mobile websites display perfectly

there were a few versions of the script in the thread, but towards the end was the one geared for the TP. borrowed it, ran it on my pad, and it worked great for the sites i previously couldn't even log into, BUT... other sites started serving up only mobile versions to me... no bueno. i started to tweak and test some of the UA strings in the script, but i could only get it to where i could either 1) log in to all of my sites with others seeing me as only a mobile browser, or 2) get full websites everywhere at the expense of not being able to log in to others.

well on a whim, i decided to hit one of those sites that claim to have every UA known to humankind and see what i could find. well wouldn't ya know it, but the very first linux (ubuntu)/firefox combination i plugged into the script and tried got everything working just right!

so that's where i'm at right now... haven't seen any problems at all (yet?). this was personally probably my biggest annoyance (LOVE the platform, anyways!), so it's really nice to get it taken care of. but more than anything, it was a pretty fun adventure digging into some of this stuff and knocking a few layers of rust off of my computer skills.
    sure thing!

i originally didn't think that the user agent was an issue mostly because my original pre browser worked just fine for everything, and the pre3/TP run pretty much the same thing... thought it was likely something else, and that's when i keyed in on the asp coincidence. i finally had some time to really start digging into this and found some asp sites that worked just fine, so it got me rethinking the user agent thing. so, i started poking around a bit more and found this thread...

there were a few versions of the script in the thread, but towards the end was the one geared for the TP. borrowed it, ran it on my pad, and it worked great for the sites i previously couldn't even log into, BUT... other sites started serving up only mobile versions to me... no bueno. i started to tweak and test some of the UA strings in the script, but i could only get it to where i could either 1) log in to all of my sites with others seeing me as only a mobile browser, or 2) get full websites everywhere at the expense of not being able to log in to others.

well on a whim, i decided to hit one of those sites that claim to have every UA known to humankind and see what i could find. well wouldn't ya know it, but the very first linux (ubuntu)/firefox combination i plugged into the script and tried got everything working just right!

so that's where i'm at right now... haven't seen any problems at all (yet?). this was personally probably my biggest annoyance (LOVE the platform, anyways!), so it's really nice to get it taken care of. but more than anything, it was a pretty fun adventure digging into some of this stuff and knocking a few layers of rust off of my computer skills.
    I don't suppose you would be willing to post which specific script and UA you used?
    I think my honeymoon period is over. Multitasking is super on this. Only if it didn't lag.

I honestly hate things now... Everything is always going wrong.. Whether it be a keyboard lag, autocorrect, pdfs, random lags.. Browser issues. The list goes on.

the only thing I really love is that flash works so well!

I'm waiting for cm7 to have proper power management then I'll try it.
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
    I didn't read past the first issue of the very long first post, so excuse me if this has already been addressed.

There isn't anything inherently incompatible about .aspx websites and WebKit browsers like Safari/webOS/Android browser. The extension doesn't actually mean anything, other than perhaps to identify which server-side technology (i.e. not on your local machine) that particular website is using. Your browser could care less what the extension is, it could be .fartstain. All that matters is A: whether or not the server is sending you data in response to your request, and B: what kind of data it is.

The problem with item A, that has so long plagued both WebKit and Mozilla browsers especially with regards to financial institutions is that they detect your user-agent (what browser and OS you're using) and block you if it's not Microsoft Internet Explorer running on Windows XP or some other totally arbitrary combination of browser/os.

The reason they do this is to lower their support costs. Especially for highly sensitive sites like those belonging to financial institutions, they have to be extremely rigorous about testing their web applications for security holes and bugs. If they do this on every single browser and device combination, it would be crazy expensive. So they tend to limit it to just a few that they *know* for sure can work, and refuse support for customers that aren't using those.

Or at least, that was the old-fashioned way of thinking. Ten years ago, almost everyone was on Microsoft Windows running IE. Back then, Mac users (the only other group really) were considered acceptable collateral damage. Us super old-time Mac users had experienced this sort of discrimination long before it entered the wider public's radar, and just brushed it off as a small price to pay for our beloved platform.

Today, however, there are soooo many devices, platforms and browsers, most larger consumer-oriented financial institutions have long abandoned that awful hinderance. Unfortunately, many smaller and/or enterprise-oriented institutions remain trapped in that closed mindset.

The *usual* trick around this is to use a browser that allows you to change your user-agent. I'm not sure if the webOS browser lets you do this, but most desktop browsers like Firefox and Safari do.

As for item B, another frequent problem is websites that use IE-specific, non-standard garbage like ActiveX controls. And since .aspx denotes ASP.NET, a Microsoft server-side framework (as opposed to say PHP and Ruby), the two often go hand-in-hand. In those cases, even "faking" another user-agent won't help. So, when you hear people complaining about how awful IE is, and how it acts as a barrier to progress for the entire industry, this is the sort of thing they're talking about.

If I'm mistaken about any of the above, I welcome corrections or objections.

EDIT: I see some talk about user-agent strings a few posts above. I hope my post at least sheds some light on why that alone isn't' always an answer.
    Last edited by Turboladdade; 11/11/2011 at 10:21 PM.
    I don't suppose you would be willing to post which specific script and UA you used?
    here it is... i pulled it from the thread i cited before, it's been tweaked a number of times, and the NEW_UA is the random linux/firefox one i plugged in from useragentstring.com (or something like that)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    here it is... i pulled it from the thread i cited before, it's been tweaked a number of times, and the NEW_UA is the random linux/firefox one i plugged in from useragentstring.com (or something like that)
    Thanks, could I trouble you to please write out the steps you used to install this on webOS?
    Also is there an uninstall script in case we install and its not helpful for us? (I'm mindful also that the next OS update seems to be around the corner.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks, could I trouble you to please write out the steps you used to install this on webOS?
    Also is there an uninstall script in case we install and its not helpful for us? (I'm mindful also that the next OS update seems to be around the corner.)
    the first post on the thread i cited earlier has the instructions you need. it talks about installing/uninstalling on a pre, but the same steps worked just fine on my pad. here's the link again...

i did a couple things slightly different...
    - instead of transferring the file to my pad with it in USB mode, i used my box.net account
    - instead of using novaterm or SSH, i run xterm on my pad for command line access

all that matters here is that you can get the change-user-agent script into the right location (/media/internal) and you have command line access to execute the script... doesn't matter how you do it.

hope that helps!
    Done, thanks.
    What are some sites you found that the ubuntu/firefox useragent displayed better than the TouchPad native browser?

edit: broke the app catalog
    Last edited by bluenote; 11/14/2011 at 08:24 PM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast