Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
    ok, thanks.

which is the best how to guide? I went there by following your link but only registered user can view so info.

I am using a 16gb now but stil sitting on two new 32gb because I want to see where this cm7 and linux will go in tne future.
    This guide is pretty good:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-...-touchpad.html

(Although the reference to the X: drive should probably be your C: drive)

You are right, the links don't show unless you are registered but here they are straight from JCochrane's post (with thanks, again, to him/her):

----------------------------------
    Novacom
    http://universal-novacom-installer.g...mInstaller.jar

ACMEInstaller
    http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad...EInstaller.zip

CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a for HP TouchPad:
    http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad...fullofbugs.zip

ClockWorkMod Recovery:
    http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad...rloin-1012.zip

Moboot Boot Loader:
    http://moboot.googlecode.com/files/moboot_0.3.3.zip

Google Apps:
    http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

I don't expect this thread to last long here so I would encourage you to register in the Android forum if you want to talk CM7 on the Touchpad more
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Power users won't fit with any devices that base on mobile OS. None Mobile OS as matured as full Windows, MacOS, or Linux.

I think Laptop with full windows is more satisfied that any tablet on market.

If you still want tablet, then find HP slate that runs full windows 7.

So If someone disappointed with TP because it can't do almost anything we want, then the problem isn't the TP, but ourself, because we choose wrong device for our need.

If you jump ship and try tablet Honeycomb or iPad... I bet you will feel same regret and disappointment.
    howi, c000 and verratio like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    There is. Look up Advanced Browser.
    It's still just a wrapper around the native Webkit framework.

It can't even open tabs in background _correctly_, despite claiming support for it: it opens the link in a new tab, switches to it for maybe 1 second, and switches back to the originating tab.

It can't be used with sites like f.e. mydisk.se; downloads won't work; all you get is the java server page code that is used to up & download files. It's like this for a lot of different sites; downloads won't work when heavy scripting is used. Common, it's almost 2012, the state of browsing art on webOS (and Android for that matter) shows here as we still live in 2003 using WinCE 4. And it's not that the power of the hardware isn't there.

There's no "scrollbar", or as i would call it a "where am i on the ********* long article page" indicator because it wouldn't be used for scrolling anyway.

The bookmark snapshot feature is a laugh. Opera Mobile got it right; their snapshots are persistent and can be updated manually if you want it. Those here are often missing because obviously Websnapr needs a hash code to work, and the ones used for bookmarks are invalidated in a short time as it seems. (Not to mention the missing folder or tag organization support...)

There's no LastPass / Xmarks or for other people Reddit / whatever yopu guys use over there support. But of course another not widely-used / proprietary tool integration in the form of SecuStore. Nice, very nice, of course i use SecuStore on my desktops and workstations too... NOT.

All in all, i hoped that the browser (i call both the stock and the "advanced" browser under the same label) would be better than the crap Honeycomb 3.1 stock browser on a Galaxy Tab 10., but it's crappiness is just.... different.

Unfortunately Opera couldn't be bribed to to port Opera Mobile (Mini is just a toy) to webOS in what seems 2 years. (At least they still provide Maemo builds as a pet project; good for me.)

All in all, with the integrated software and and retail price tags, at least i do not wonder why HP gone "a bit" downhill w/ regard to webOS.

Nokia did it (not "right" but definitely) better with their defunct tablet OS since 2005, not as "polished" (in terms of smoothness and GFX) and easy-to-use for technically inept people as webOS, and of course mostly without fancy 3D games and and stuff in a store where there are almost 300 toy "apps" available to spend even more money on, as compared to maybe 10 but truly feature-rich and completed ones.

But at least they included a proper browser from the beginning (first Opera, then later microB which is still one of the best mobile browsers around) and also did the different IM services (woohoo, ICQ & XMPP out-of-the-box, no need to bribe home developers with 50 CDN!) and phone / Skype calls integration in one communication / notification view years before Synergy. Also, tethering and calling with ANY phone that provided BT was there from the beginning, no need to have also a webOS phone (or Symbian / S40 phone in comparison here) paired.

Disclaimer 1: I'm no fan of webOS other than it's swipe2kill & task-switching procedures, which are made better than all what the mainstream competitors did.

Disclaimer 2: i got the TP as a eReader and mobile browser for $250 (the 32GB variant), almost only for the hardware not for the "ecosystem" or even OS, and that's what it's worth. And it does both only half-assed. But it was cheap, so i'm not embarrassed about the situation, more like showing certain facts to webOS evangelists. If in need for the future, there's always Debian build for armel as the main OS, with either Unity if you do (K)Ubuntu Mobile (i won't) or Plasma Active if your falvor is KDE (mine is), and other even lesser known alternatives.

Disclaimer 3: iOS and Android suck more; the first for the whole ecosystem crap a.k.a. golden cage and premium price tag / *** label, and the second for being a crippled Linux derivate which is too tied to Google services (obviously).
    Disclaimer 1: I'm no fan of webOS other than it's swipe2kill & task-switching procedures, which are made better than all what the mainstream competitors did.

Disclaimer 2: i got the TP as a eReader and mobile browser for $250 (the 32GB variant), almost only for the hardware not for the "ecosystem" or even OS, and that's what it's worth. And it does both only half-assed. But it was cheap, so i'm not embarrassed about the situation, more like showing certain facts to webOS evangelists. If in need for the future, there's always Debian build for armel as the main OS, with either Unity if you do (K)Ubuntu Mobile (i won't) or Plasma Active if your falvor is KDE (mine is), and other even lesser known alternatives.

Disclaimer 3: iOS and Android suck more; the first for the whole ecosystem crap a.k.a. golden cage and premium price tag / *** label, and the second for being a crippled Linux derivate which is too tied to Google services (obviously).
    Agreed with disclaimer 1 & 2 & 3.
    Whatever how bad webOS, Touchpad low price proven the best of all, don't care about the OS anymore, it is simply worth to buy.
    Thank you so much. I will give this a try this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    This guide is pretty good:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-...-touchpad.html

(Although the reference to the X: drive should probably be your C: drive)

You are right, the links don't show unless you are registered but here they are straight from JCochrane's post (with thanks, again, to him/her):

Novacom
    http://universal-novacom-installer.g...mInstaller.jar

ACMEInstaller
    http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad...EInstaller.zip

CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a for HP TouchPad:
    http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad...fullofbugs.zip

ClockWorkMod Recovery:
    http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad...rloin-1012.zip

Moboot Boot Loader:
    http://moboot.googlecode.com/files/moboot_0.3.3.zip

Google Apps:
    http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

I don't expect this thread to last long here so I would encourage you to register in the Android forum if you want to talk CM7 on the Touchpad more
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Whatever how bad webOS, Touchpad low price proven the best of all, don't care about the OS anymore, it is simply worth to buy.
    I bought 1 of each touchpad. Sold them both. They were poorly made and not supported. I wanted it to succeed but it wont. People speak with their wallets and no one wanted this till it was almost free. Shame really.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
    i love my TP and pre3, but i'm definitely with the OP about some of the browser limitations, particularly the apparent problems with asp. my pre- had zero problems with its browser, but i have yet to find an asp page that works on my TP OR pre3! that's a pretty big step backwards when changes to a browser's core render it incompatible with 1 out of every 4 or 5 webpages out there. power users, glorified users, and noobs alike shouldn't ever have to wonder why their device won't even log in to their bank's site.
    Guess I'm lucky not to have experienced many of the problems other have. The construction of mine is fine and mostly works well. I like most others are still experiencing the limitations of the browser though. Right now my biggest pain point is since losing the "secure downloads" patch after upgrading to 3.0.4 my daughter Is no longer able to use it for schoolwork. But overall I'm happy just hoping for browser pain relief,
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i find it hilarious how some people whine and complain about a 'crappy' browser, yet these same people are unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

yeah like complaining will fix anything. how about doing something useful instead, like, oh i dont know, try petitioning other browser companies to port their software to webOs. or learn some coding and bring one of the open source browsers to webos.

nope. its much less of a hassle just to complain about something and list all kinds of reasons why a $99 touchpad is 'vastly' inferior to a $500 ipad
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    I bought 1 of each touchpad. Sold them both. They were poorly made and not supported. I wanted it to succeed but it wont. People speak with their wallets and no one wanted this till it was almost free. Shame really.

I think people that think want Touchpad if only it is almost free sound really funny to me.

Even crappy old dumb phone can't be free. Instead free with contract.

Don't make such ridiculous statement here. You don't need to say you want TP succeed, because you won't, not because it won't.

1. Touchpad still supported till now. Even it is not as good as we hope it is still got some pulse to live. Still better then many Android devices that stuck with Froyo.

2. Poorly made?? Have you test many Android devices or others that build in crappy quality? I know some, yes it maybe not Samsung brand, but surely many tablet out there beside Touchpad crappier then ToucuPad. Ie Acer Iconia & Playbook. Not mention other cheap Android tablets from China that cost same with TP.

You have Samsung Galaxy S2. Many people said that Samsung Flagship phone is great. IMO the build quality really feels cheap. It is thin, yes... But still can't beat the elegance of iPhone. My Pre3 still better in quality, rubber coat make it not like cheap phone. Slider very solid, and keyboard feels superb compared to any BB phones. Yes it may be a dead phone before it have chance to born, but it is surely better then many Android phones in quality.
    verratio likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    i find it hilarious how some people whine and complain about a 'crappy' browser, yet these same people are unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

yeah like complaining will fix anything. how about doing something useful instead, like, oh i dont know, try petitioning other browser companies to port their software to webOs. or learn some coding and bring one of the open source browsers to webos.
    Petitioning the other browser companies is useful?!? Surely you don't really think that.

Learn some coding? When the TV you buy fails to work properly did you go get a EE degree so you could work on it, buy an EEPROM reader and reverse engineer it's firmware?

The Touchpad was marketed as a consumer device, not a hobbyist platform, and it has a browser that really is tremendously lacking in some basic functionality. You can't even sort the bookmarks or have a background page properly load - sheesh. I like my Touchpad and am generally happy with it, but I'm not going to fault people for legitimate complaints especially when some of them may have spent $600 on it only to have HP leave them swinging. I'm thankful we have options like Preware and patches, but these things shouldn't be expected just to get a consumer device functioning at an acceptable level.
    kins, DeadVim and Divine_Madcat like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Touchpad was marketed as a consumer device, not a hobbyist platform, and it has a browser that really is tremendously lacking in some basic functionality. You can't even sort the bookmarks or have a background page properly load - sheesh. I like my Touchpad and am generally happy with it, but I'm not going to fault people for legitimate complaints especially when some of them may have spent $600 on it only to have HP leave them swinging. I'm thankful we have options like Preware and patches, but these things shouldn't be expected just to get a consumer device functioning at an acceptable level.
    Do you buy Touchpad for $600? If you do then I feel your desperate of the browser.

If not.... Why bother with crappy browser. With that crappy browser I almost got desktop view in every website I go and I'm not afraid can't open any flash on website that I need. Bookmark lack of many think, agreed, but still usable. Except you have hundred of bookmark links in your browser, then I feel your pain.

I use my Touchpad daily mostly is the browser, and I never have some grudge against it lacks.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I think people that think want Touchpad if only it is almost free sound really funny to me.

Even crappy old dumb phone can't be free. Instead free with contract.

Don't make such ridiculous statement here. You don't need to say you want TP succeed, because you won't, not because it won't.

1. Touchpad still supported till now. Even it is not as good as we hope it is still got some pulse to live. Still better then many Android devices that stuck with Froyo.

2. Poorly made?? Have you test many Android devices or others that build in crappy quality? I know some, yes it maybe not Samsung brand, but surely many tablet out there beside Touchpad crappier then ToucuPad. Ie Acer Iconia & Playbook. Not mention other cheap Android tablets from China that cost same with TP.

You have Samsung Galaxy S2. Many people said that Samsung Flagship phone is great. IMO the build quality really feels cheap. It is thin, yes... But still can't beat the elegance of iPhone. My Pre3 still better in quality, rubber coat make it not like cheap phone. Slider very solid, and keyboard feels superb compared to any BB phones. Yes it may be a dead phone before it have chance to born, but it is surely better then many Android phones in quality.
    Gs2 has no creaking like my touchpads did. Is it as well made as my iPhone 4? No but I needed a bigger screen. Like I said. I own an ipad and a transformer and I'm comparing the tp to those which I experienced. And the tp sucks in comparison. I was willing to spend 99 bucks for it just to browse the web and it doesn't even do that well. Goood luck getting Firefox on it. If you love it more power to you. Just don't think its going to evolve much unless HP sells webos or revises hardware for it. I mean Jesus most people want android on it than webos. Its weird

That's It my man. $99/$150 if doesn't do what you want, go and buy something that does. There is nothing that does what the TP does & comes close to its price.
    DizWhiz and treodoc755 like this.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Tablets are not notebooks and never will be even close if ever. The tablet OS's are evolving and if you really need may of those function to be solid. Check with the vendor of the product. The great majority of big box stores are tech clueless. The rest guess.
    Testing is proving a function but more than once at minimum.

Notebooks go through far more compatibility testing especial business models. Tablet, ahh well propably none. You assume too much. Its a novel toy. All of them and if you can do something business related its a bonus as are smartphones.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Gs2 has no creaking like my touchpads did.
    The SGS 2 is a $540 phone, which is much different price than a $99 Touchpad. I would hope for $540 that it's built well. Yes you probably got it cheaper but you're paying for it through subsidies. Yes, something as basic as the browser sucks on WebOS and anyone who says it works well for them has never used a good mobile browser, such as Dolphin HD or Opera.
    Well, sorry to see that your having problems with your TP. I understand that you got the TP hoping that it would fit all of your needs, and it must be frustrating to not be able to use it in situations that you need to.

I'll just go over some of your points, and I hope this helps.

The browser is meant for light browsing. It's not compatible with every website. And as you've stated, you can't work with iOS based browsers for work either. My experience with Android Gingerbread is that it is more compatible with various websites, but even still, there are some sites that are buggy. And it's very frustrating as well. I was using a mobile Gingerbread browser for work for a while, but when I couldn't enter simple text into a text box, I stopped expecting to be able to use a mobile browser for work. Maybe Icecream sandwhich will be different, but as it stands right now, if you want rock solid browsing on a mobile device for work, I'd honestly get a Windows 7 tablet. You will never have a problem. They're not perfect either, but they will work.

Touch input is a problem on the TP, no arguments there. There is a patch that helps a bit, but it doens't solve the problem.

With networking, you can always tether your TP to your phone and use your phone's connection to the internet. That's what I do with my TP if I have any problems connecting to a wifi network.

You should try Piscel Smart Office for text editing.

I haven't been able to move paragraphs in Gingerbread either. Someone correct me if I'm off base.

With games, set the App Catalogue to show you TP apps only. And the TP games selection is larger than the selection for my GS2.

Actually I think that you're a tablet person, not a laptop person, but you want a tablet that does it all. And one day, it will happen.

If I were you, I'd get the iPad 2 that you really want. Don't bother with a Gingerbread tablet when IceCream Sandwhich is on it's way.

You're not a power user, but the TP is very good at a very few select things. If you want more than those things, then by all means, you should look elsewhere, no hard feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by rockula View Post
    The Browser- I bought this because I thought WebOS would support most of the websites that I frequent for my job. I interface with with a lot of secure servers that run off of an extension aspx. I was told this is some sort of .Net or Java server language that is out dated. However, these are big "insurance company servers" (I'm an agent and have to log in to rate and service policies). HTML5 is the future, but I can tell you that insurance companies aren't going to make the switch any time soon because most of their agents use PC's.

Safari doesn't jive at all with my Insurance company interfaces. So, doing my job on a "Mac" is impossible. I use a Mac, but I run Parallels Desktop for my work stuff. Even Firefox on the Mac side doesn't work. WebOS is no better. It's no supported usually, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Usually if it gives me that error message, it won't work.
    For sites that ARE supposed to work, insurance or not, I find myself pressing on a link with nothing happening. OVER AND OVER this happens. It's like the TP isn't responding to my tough. I recalibrate the touch constantly, and it's usually never off.

I frequently visit ESPN and Yahoo Sports to manage my fantasy line ups. Yahoo's site is the worst to deal with, but I can deal with it. Still lots of unresponsive finger touches. Another site I like to visit is Youtube. That can be hit or miss as well. I also enjoy Cracked.com for a good laff, and I enjoy reading the Huffington Post. Both sites can be NIGHTMARES to navigate. I notice that the progress bar at the top of many of these sites fails to actually complete it's progress or only gets 15% into the progress and stalls. Also, Facebook is horrible to use. I was told that the WebOS is the only OS that has the Facebook app written specifically for it, but I'm not at all impressed with the performance. If it's not "touch inputs" that fail to respond, it's a wacky layout that doesn't make sense. But bottlenecking of online data is what bothers me the most because it's prevalent on MANY sites. This tells me that something may wrong with the WebOS, or site, or...
    First .aspx is ASP.NET which is the .NET version of Microsoft's Active Server Pages. This is the Microsoft server side scripting engine. Since .asp and .aspx are server side scripts they only return flat HTML which is supported by all browsers, including webOS. Now that flat HTML can include some client side scripting such as Javascript, which should also be supported by the webOS browser but those imbedded client side scripts are not dependent on the file extension and could cause the same problem if embedded in .php, .html, or any other type of file.

That said some site developers decide that it is easier to check what browser a person is using and block all browsers that the developer was either too lazy to test for compatibility, or just didn't want to put in the effort to make it work. Sadly if they do this, then you just have to use a supported browser. Thankfully this is getting a bit more rare, but nothing would **** me off more back in the day than hitting a website that required Internet Exploder when I was not even using a Windows platform much less IE.

Networking/WiFi: For instance at church... there are 750, per service, half of which know the password to access the router. So, it can be slow. I have no problems on my Android phone, but on the Touchpad, it's a nightmare. I'm a musician at church, and many times I need to quickly connect to a website that we use called planningcenteronline to download sheet music to my TP. I usually do this before service, put the set list I'm playing in order in a folder on Box.net, then I open each pdf file one after another, so that as we finish with a song, I can load the next easily. Half the time, I can't access any info on Planning Centers site, because the browser is frozen. But I could turn around and pull it up on my phone in no time usually. So, what is it with the Wifi of the TP that makes it totally bottleneck and fail?

Working with Documents: I work with PDF files a lot, which is no problem on the TP. Sometimes, if I'm singing a song, I'll type up the lyrics in Word and email them to myself, or upload them to Box.net. But when I pull one up using QuickOfficeHD, not only are the fonts different, but it seems like I can't properly edit the file. If I send it to myself in all caps, it shows up "proper" and there is no way for me to adjust margins, highlight the text and change it to all caps, nothing. In fact, pulling up the "select/select all" field at times is a trick. It'll flash, but go away immediately, or if I cut/copy something, it won't copy. It's literally like anything you pull up in QuickOffice HD is uneditable and ends up crashing the app. Another AMAZINGLY annoying thing is when I download a file that I email myself, like this .doc file, or even a PDF... most of the time, WebOS doesn't know what to do with it, and the MIME type is not recognized. This forces me to use file manager app to go in and find the file (which usually gets renamed to something crazy), rename it, add the extension, then open it. And sometimes it still won't work. It just doesn't make sense!

I also don't like the way that WebOS handles "selecting/highlighting" things. I don't understand if I select a paragraph how to move it? Apparently you can't. You always have to cut and past. You can't drag a "selection" around. That is just WACK to me!? I swear, for "cool" as WebOS supposedly is, it's shockingly limited all the same.
    As others have mentioned, it doesn't matter if you use the Touchpad, iPad, or Android Tablet. None of them can compete in the document editing dept. with a full blown OS with a mouse and full function KB. I have an Android phone and I find it just as hard to edit stuff on it as the TP. I do agree that QuickOfficeHD leaves a LOT to be desired but that is not the operating system. I think there is a better paid office application available, but I have not used it and can not vouch for it.

I've got half a mind to totally reset it back to factory and install only a few of the Preware tweaks... but NOT UberKernal or Govnah. I personally think my TP performs worse OC'd.
    Considering it seems that most of your problems (at least those that are not browser related) seem to be related to some touches not being detected. I had the same problem until I ran the 3.04 doctor to reset everything. I used it for about 24 hours without installing anything and the problem seemed to be fixed. Then I installed everything recommended by the starter guides EXCEPT Uberkernal (though I did install Govnah before I decided not to install UberK) and the problem came back but MUCH less than before. I am currently in the process of uninstalling and testing the recommended tweaks one by one to see if maybe one of them is causing this issue. Perhaps you actually SHOULD doctor it back to factory 3.04 settings and then see if you have better results too.

I think you might be expecting a bit much out of any tablet for editing purposes, but I don't think anyone should have to put up with a touch screen that doesn't detect touches properly. That said I have submitted some mock ups for additional features for the built Virtual KB that should help the editing problems a LOT.

You can take a look at my proposed version of the virtual KB HERE.

I hope I have helped in some way.
    Gs2 has no creaking like my touchpads did. Is it as well made as my iPhone 4? No but I needed a bigger screen. Like I said. I own an ipad and a transformer and I'm comparing the tp to those which I experienced. And the tp sucks in comparison. I was willing to spend 99 bucks for it just to browse the web and it doesn't even do that well. Goood luck getting Firefox on it. If you love it more power to you. Just don't think its going to evolve much unless HP sells webos or revises hardware for it. I mean Jesus most people want android on it than webos. Its weird

I feel sorry for your sorrow over your creaking TouchPad. But mine no creaking sound at all. So if you have that problem doesn't mean all TouchPad have same issue. $99/$149 for TouchPad still far better then any cheap Tablet in Quality. Try to compare China Tablet which have quite same price with Tablet.

Jesus , weird to know most people like Android which is over-priced phone & tablet. And it has HUGE apps collection which mostly free and mostly crap because it is free and lots of crap advertisement in it.

If I want to jump ship then iOS is my choice. It has HUGE apps collection, paid, and mostly because it is paid, it is not as crap as free Android apps. Bigger screen it is the only iOS lack in iPhone. But phone is phone. It needs to be pocketable by most people, men or women. Not a small tablet which somewhat Samsung mixed up and drunk made Samsung Galaxy Note which the slogan is 'It is Tablet? It is Phone? It is Galaxy Note!' and the retail price is crazy $650.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Petitioning the other browser companies is useful?!? Surely you don't really think that.

gee. I don't know. It might actually get a better result than coming here and wasting time *****ing about it. At least if there was enough demand, maybe it would convince some company to do it. Or those people could stop being cheap and get splashtop. That too is another alternative. And don't say it isn't because that is just as much a solution as a person saying ' install cm7'
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast