Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    Grass is always greener on the other side. I suggest you try ipad or an android and come back and tell us how unhappy you are.
    i had a touchpad for about a month. I also have a transformer. i sold both of my touchpads for $50 over and bought an iPad. as much as i wanted to like the touchpad its not even close to as good to an iPad OR transformer. And i really enjoy webos. i didnt like the build, or the app quality. I DO suggest the previous poster get an iPad or Android tablet because the touchpad is pretty bad.
    Yes, I too am a very unsophisticated user who is going to install Ubunto on my TP...

You are like totally socket sexy.
    Can I be the client to your server?
    Um. I see a lot of passionate folks here defending the TP. I too got my TP during the fire sale. 3.0.4 was the first thing I did when I got it, and my first impression was, "wow, this is considered 'snappier?'" I also remember finding me constantly telling myself, "well, at least it was only $99". I wasn't expecting an iPad, but I was certainly expecting a better performing device than what I got. Something else I remember being shocked about was that HP actually attempted to sell this device (mind you, before all the updates) for $500, what were they thinking.

I installed the "Advanced Browser" app, that was a big improvement over the default browser - the default browser is junk imo. I waited until the guide for applying the OC was updated for 3.0.4. By the time it was and I had the time to do so, my TP was almost unusable as it was just dragging. Post tweaks and the device became usable.

And I'm not knocking WebOS, I see the potential here, and I really really hope that HP sell this OS to a company that's actually going to build quality products and develop the OS. The flaws are HP's - I remember reading somewhere about how Rubinstein was not happy about the TP, and that he said it was not ready, but HP just rushed it to market anyways.

There are just basic things I can't do with this, like connect to an AdHoc WiFi, or bluetooth PAN, seriously, isn't this a pretty basic thing. There are limited apps (this I knew ahead of time), and that's with both the HP catalog and the amazing Preware group.

I didn't have big expectations for the TP and I wasn't planning on doing anything amazing with it, just some web browsing, email, and some other web related tasks. Oh, I realized later that this would be great for reading PDFs, of which there are a lot for my job. So I downloaded a bunch of PDFs and got ready to kick back and read the latest what have you - I couldn't believe how terrible the default PDF reader was. Then I was in disbelief that there weren't any better PDF reader apps. I finally found Picsel Smart Office which has an acceptable PDF reader built in - but even that still needs some work. This kinda falls into the very limited app catalog category.

Lets keep in mind that w/o the OverClocking and all other speed tweaks, this thing out of the box is a piece of "insert colorful metaphor".

My favorite thing about the Touchpad, which as far as I know is unique to the TP, is the TouchStone - it's just kinda slick.

I'm "OK" with the TP post tweaks, but it's no iPad, I mean it's not even in the same category - I'm sorry, but that's just the truth - but I also didn't spend $500 for an iPad (which btw is what HP was initially selling it for - boggles the mind). With the purchase of the TP, Touchstone, case, and apps, I figure I'm in for around $250.

I guess I can sum it up with this: I got what I paid for, but it certainly wasn't a bargain. I'll absolutely be making a donation to the Preware group as, without them, I'd feel pretty ripped off - HP should be paying them for fixing their mess.
    Ordered 16GB TouchPad on 8/21/11@1135, HPO#30563xxx, WO#4408xxx
    DeadVim and crucialcolin like this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I know the TP is a consumption device but the browser is absolutely horrible IMO. I really don't care if it can't handle some of the content, that's excusable. What is inexcusable, and I'm with rockula here, is the browser will hang on page loads sometimes but not others. Touches within the browser won't register all the time either. Tablets are just consumption devices for me so there is a major issue when I can't even load websites.

This is absolutely a software issue. I dual-booted CM7 for a short time and the TP worked flawlessly and was fast as hell. I love WebOS but some of its shortcomings are holding the hardware back IMO.

I like the Touchpad, I will support the ecosystem with apps I'd really like. Honestly, if someone made an actual functional browser as a paid app I would pay $7-10 or even more just to alleviate the frustration. If any devs are listening and there is such thing as an open source web browser it should be modified slightly then ported to WebOS.

I will use WebOS until it croaks entirely, and will then move to ICS after however many months/years that might be.
    Quote Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
    I dual-booted CM7 for a short time and the TP worked flawlessly and was fast as hell.
    Why didn't you stay on CM7 then? I'm genuinely interested to know as I want to dump WebOS asap.
    the browser is pretty bad.

as soon as the automated process to get ubuntu chroot on toughpad (worked on by the easy debian gent), I will be installing so I can have a mainstream browser. Then this will be the best and cheapest linux touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
    the browser is pretty bad.

as soon as the automated process to get ubuntu chroot on toughpad (worked on by the easy debian gent), I will be installing so I can have a mainstream browser. Then this will be the best and cheapest linux touchpad.
    You might be better off dual-booting CM7. Ubuntu chroot is fun and all but it's not a touch optimized experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    You might be better off dual-booting CM7. Ubuntu chroot is fun and all but it's not a touch optimized experience.
    What browser does cm7 have? I really want a mainstream browser.

cm7 is still in beta, right?
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    It took me some time to get use to my TP. I have to admit I had my times of frustration, but I really like it. I think you have to be a tablet kind of person. It serves different needs to different people.
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4
    Go CM7 - CM7 has the android browser - I've found it to be robust and performs same as my android phone. PDF reader also more robust. Difficult wifi connections are easier on the CM7 android side (i couldn't tether from my android phone in webos but it worked in CM7)
    Quote Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
    I like the Touchpad, I will support the ecosystem with apps I'd really like. Honestly, if someone made an actual functional browser as a paid app I would pay $7-10 or even more just to alleviate the frustration.
    There is. Look up Advanced Browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockula View Post

My top issues with the TP are:

It's like the TP isn't responding to my tough.

... I notice that the progress bar at the top of many of these sites fails to actually complete it's progress or only gets 15% into the progress and stalls. ...

Games: ...I installed some games or app's that were for a phone, but worked on the TP. ...

Jason
    The webOS wifi is a little flaky. My Pre3 and touchpad often have the issues you describe on my home network, but work fine at my 3 work locations. My pre-, laptop, and wife's blackberry work fine on the same router. Turning wifi on and off solves the issue for me, until the device goes back into sleep mode. There are a few threads with suggestions and fixes that have worked for some people. You can start there.

As for the games designed for phones and ported to the touchpad, you are correct. The workaround to get them on the TP isn't perfect but it's better than nothing. Having only some work fine is better than not having any of them work.

There is also a paid browder called advanced browser. Not sure if it will have the security support you need, or if the security is webOS based.
    Even if you never use your HP Touchpad for anything besides listening to music or watching movies it is still a bargain IMHO.

If you are unhappy with your purchase you can shop at store.apple.com where they will happily sell you a 16Gb Nano for $50 more than the price of a firesale 16Gb Touchpad or a 16Gb iPad for $400 more that still will not do everything that everyone seems to expect of it - I should know as I have one of those also and there are things that it does not do.

Do I occasionally get frustrated with my Touchpad? ...of course I do since I can't seem to get it to download some files that my iPad downloads (albeit with a special browser) but then I remind myself that even with all the accessories I paid less than $250 for a gorgeous 10 inch, 32Gb tablet, that plays all my DRM free music, music videos and movies.

Jimmny Cricket folks, it's a tablet on a platform with an uncertain future...it's not a Windows laptop and if you purchased it during the firesale you had to have known what you were getting into.
    Last edited by AZTouchpad; 11/07/2011 at 10:14 PM.
    AZTouchpad
    - 32Gb HP Touchpad, Palm Tungsten E, 32Gb iPhone 4, 16Gb iPod touch (1st Gen)
    *...and I think webOS is awesome
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald R. Ford
    Get an iPad, do a head to head comparison, at the same location (wifi signal strength), same site, same everything and ask yourself again... is iPad any better than touchpad?

Don't compare your church wifi with your cellphone wireless signal. It's unfair to either one.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

CM7 is currently on Alpha 2.1 with Alpha 3 the next step if the noises from the devs are to be believed.

There are some issues outstanding but nothing major for me.

I was still using webOS for main browsing duties until last night when persistant problems getting some Vimeo videos to stream. So, I hopped over to CM7 and there were no issues at all. Given the other problems I experience (sound drop-outs, etc) it's the end of the webOS line for me.

Give it a crack, you've got nothing to lose other than a bit of disk space.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    CM7 is currently on Alpha 2.1 with Alpha 3 the next step if the noises from the devs are to be believed.

There are some issues outstanding but nothing major for me.

I was still using webOS for main browsing duties until last night when persistant problems getting some Vimeo videos to stream. So, I hopped over to CM7 and there were no issues at all. Given the other problems I experience (sound drop-outs, etc) it's the end of the webOS line for me.

Give it a crack, you've got nothing to lose other than a bit of disk space.
    ok, thanks.

which is the best how to guide? I went there by following your link but only registered user can view so info.

I am using a 16gb now but stil sitting on two new 32gb because I want to see where this cm7 and linux will go in tne future.

The stock browser is somewhat better than the webos one although a bit quirky.

However you have access to Dolphin HD (good interface and compatibility), Opera Mobile (excellent smoothness), Firefox beta (great interface and desktop sync), as well as Boat (haven't used it but many recommend it.

CM7 isn't even beta but alpha though.

Sent from my G2
    AZTouchpad, nice response. We have an iPad as well. I almost replied along the same lines but am hesitant to feed religious threads.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    Why didn't you stay on CM7 then? I'm genuinely interested to know as I want to dump WebOS asap.
    It's in Alpha currently and the main thing for me was that the battery life suffered substantially. Beyond that, the alpha build is REALLY stable - almost surprisingly so. I also found out that my wife really likes WebOS so it's kind of a pain to use Android, then have to reboot the thing when my wife wants to use WebOS. I may reload it, I think there is a WebOS patch to have Moboot default to WebOS on boot - that might make things easier for her (and me).

However, I told her straight up that when ICS comes out (in 201X) it's getting loaded and she can either deal with it or GTFOff my Touchpad. Unless of course they can fix the browser.

----ALSO-----

Tony20 mentioned that the Advance Browser was another option for a web browser, but isn't it the same underlying browser with additional features tacked on? Is anyone seeing better/more consistent performance with the Advanced Browser over the stock one?
    One month and 2 days later, and still no resurrected Steve Jobs. I blame the lack of an app for that. Clearly the ipad is missing important apps too!
    johnjaycee and picassokat like this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast