Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I have a recurring issue with my TP and the App store. It keeps changing my country to Italy. Now, I'd love to go to Italy, but as I've explained to the Butler Service now three times, I have not gone anywhere. They are able to go into my account and change it back to USA, but in a day or two it changes back again. My Pre2 is fine. I have searched and found a couple of threads about the same issue but have never seen a resolution for any of them. I now have the Butler service on speed dial. I am not convinced that it is an issue with the Touch Pad. Yes, i have checked my regional settings, done re-boots, etc. I am running 3.0.4. Anyone else having this issue? I am guessing it gets changed when it does the backup. Is there any way to change the backup time from HP/random to when I want it to happen? That way I would be able to see if that is really when it is happenning.

Thanks.
    I go into chat and they fix it while I wait. My app store goes to France when it resets. It appears that it happens later in the day following a backup. Pivot also goes back to issue 1. While I'm sorry they can't fix this, its nice to know I'm not the only one with the issue. It would be nice if they could figure this out.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I first posted about this issue in June. I am still having the problem. The automatic backup will change my account to Italy and my name to Andrea. Then, since it thinks I am in Italy I can't see any paid Apps. This does not happen all the time, but support has sometimes been able to go into my account and fix it. Now they want to charge me $40 to talk to them about it. I have done so many "Erase All Aps" and had to rebuild my TP that I'm really losing it. If there is a way to turn off the automatic update please tell me. I think that there is a person named Andrea in Italy with a touchpad with the same serial number. I have spent many hours on the phone and on Chat and it is like talking to robots. They can't seem to hear what the problem is. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? I'm running 3.0.5, but the same thing happened on 3.0.4. Thanks!
    Andrea, if you're out there let's talk.
    When I have the issue, I end up in France. What I found was if I go to chat, they will fix it and it takes about 15 minutes. Over the last 2 months, I've come to notice that if I don't do anything, it fixes itself in about 48 hours. This last time, it went to France settings on Friday while I was at work and it resolved itself overnight Sunday to Monday. Once it fixes, it will stay fixed for about 2 - 3 weeks.

I still can't figure out why it changes, or why it changes back, but it does. And like you, my Pre2 is not impacted. Also erase and rebuild does not help. I've done that too many times as well. I suspected that backup might trigger it or getting disconnected from the network, but can't prove or disprove either.

So, try chat and if you have a case ID it helps Plus there is no $40 charge. Otherwise, try waiting a few days to see if it changes back on its own.

I seem to recall a thread about changing the update settings if you want to try that. Sorry, I don't have the link.
    Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobrodan View Post
    I first posted about this issue in June. I am still having the problem. The automatic backup will change my account to Italy and my name to Andrea. Then, since it thinks I am in Italy I can't see any paid Apps. This does not happen all the time, but support has sometimes been able to go into my account and fix it. Now they want to charge me $40 to talk to them about it. I have done so many "Erase All Aps" and had to rebuild my TP that I'm really losing it. If there is a way to turn off the automatic update please tell me. I think that there is a person named Andrea in Italy with a touchpad with the same serial number. I have spent many hours on the phone and on Chat and it is like talking to robots. They can't seem to hear what the problem is. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? I'm running 3.0.5, but the same thing happened on 3.0.4. Thanks!
    Andrea, if you're out there let's talk.
    Usually this problem with with the server on how it has IDed your serial number from first use. Was this device bought new or open boxed? Try to speak with chat and have them escalate your case since we're way beyond the normal tech support.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Usually this problem with with the server on how it has IDed your serial number from first use. Was this device bought new or open boxed? Try to speak with chat and have them escalate your case since we're way beyond the normal tech support.
    Thanks! I'll push them again. Mine was new and I know I didn't pick France as my home country. I bought it direct from HP just after they went on sale.

Keith
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Keith,
    My experience is exactly the same. New out of the box. I have isolated it to when it updates automatically, athough it doesn't happen all the time. I have done the chat thing. The last time was two nights ago. No help there. Mine mysteriously changes back also, although it still has the wrong name assigned to my TP. Turning off backup doesn't work because it turns itself back on. I used Internalz Pro to drill down to the file that I thought might control the automatic backup (/etc.palm/activities/com.palm.service.backup.scheduled) and changed the first line from "true" to "false". This didn't work, so there must be another file somewhere that does it. Or maybe I need to edit it differently. Any ideas, anybody?