Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    I purchased my Touchpad on Amazon a few months back and i'm still noticing a frenzy of where people are looking everywhere for the HP Touchpad. Is it the price point? or is it from where HP keeps saying they have stock and then saying they are out of stock just to create more hype on the product? or now since Best Buy and Walmart has offered the HP Touchpad as a bundle this has slowed people down a bit?
  2. #2  
    I think people wanted a tablet but didn't want to spend the money for a decent tablet and once hp dropped the price of the touchpad it was in the price range for those who wanted one. I know for me that was the case and I love my touchpad
  3. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #3  
    Price point, pure and simple. Even with the higher prices they are selling for now you can't get a good 10" tablet for under $300.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Price point, pure and simple. Even with the higher prices they are selling for now you can't get a good 10" tablet for under $300.
    Agree I mean dual core, beats audio, all that make it a great tablet even if the OS is not going to be continued to be made. It works for what I need it to do and was only 150 for 32 gb.
  5. #5  
    Obviously price is a major major factor.. but I also feel that those with any interest and knowledge in the harware specs of the TouchPad, were waiting to be 'impressed' anyway.. when webOS 3.0.0 failed to impress AND the price dropped so dramatically, many thought (rightly) that the pure hardware available at that price was WELL worth owning and then perhaps waiting for dual boot Android OS too!

    I don't feel that HP deliberately 'hyped' it up.. they just stuffed it up instead!

    Also perhaps now there is an element of 'what you can't get.. you want even more'!

    DeadVim likes this.
  6. #6  
    I still do not get tablet prices... A new netbook for ~$200... Even with windows 7 starter (or downgraded to windows xp) has more memory (ram, video, storage ie hard drive) and usability then a tablet why does any company think they can release a great (yes I think the touchpad is great) product and sell it for $599.99. If tablets came down to HP's firesale prices I think we would see more in customers hands. Companies need to wake up to they are overpriced.
  7. bioforce2's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #7  
    Purely price for me. I was never going to pay 600$ for a tablet. I was actually looking into a nook (normal version) but this way I get something for about the same price (32 gig) thats an e reader, web browser, email, video player, comic book reader, and manga viewer. That's a steal.
  8. #8  
    The price point of the fire sale is what drew my attention - the touchpad itself has kept it there. HBO go, Kindle, Apps, Skype, Audio Beats - just can't get bored with it. Best deal I've attained in a very long time.
    Premium1 and Vistaus like this.
  9. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I still do not get tablet prices... A new netbook for ~$200... Even with windows 7 starter (or downgraded to windows xp) has more memory (ram, video, storage ie hard drive) and usability then a tablet why does any company think they can release a great (yes I think the touchpad is great) product and sell it for $599.99. If tablets came down to HP's firesale prices I think we would see more in customers hands. Companies need to wake up to they are overpriced.
    Not going to happen. Those netbooks you talk about have lower specs than even the Touchpad or the Kindle Fire. HP took a big hit selling them at the firesale prices. I think the only reason they sell now for $250-300 for the 16GB, when they hardly sold a one before when they were at $299, is word of mouth. I just had a friend today buy one today for $250 all because of me hyping the Touchpad. Before, only a very very small portion of the population new anything about WebOS. I only did from tech sites and I've never seen a WebOS device, ever, before I got the Touchpad.

    If tablets came down to the firesale prices then you'd see a lot of bankrupt companies. Heck, the Kindle Touch e-ink reader is at the firesale price and all it does is read books. The only reason why it's even at that price point is ad placements to help subsidize the cost.
    Vistaus and TheSpike like this.
  10. #10  
    Actually I got a very relevant opinon here:
    Almost all of my previous HP products(One Pavilion laptop, AIO printer, few months back HP iPaq etc) failed on me, I never trust HP products. At that point of time this Touchpad firesale started.. I was not interested to race into the fire.. after observing the race and knowing that its not actually HP product and quality Palm product branded after HP, I have joined the race(again, price is a major factor) then learned about Pre 3 and raced against it.. all together I have snapped 3 touchpads and at least 7 Pre 3s. started using Pre3 and one touchpad.. after few days, I liked Pre3 and didnt use Touchpad much.. So, eventually I have sold two touchpads, planning to sell the last one too..
    Pre3 is the best bet for the buck compared to Touchpad.. I would rather target a Windows mango touchpad if comes.. (I dont like the apple's "squeeze the customer" policy and Google's "steal the customer data and do the business with it" policy) and settle down...

    So, touchpad craze is purely price based with a reasonable confidence on Palm based products... Now!! its draining gradually...
  11. brshoemak's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I still do not get tablet prices... A new netbook for ~$200... Even with windows 7 starter (or downgraded to windows xp) has more memory (ram, video, storage ie hard drive) and usability then a tablet why does any company think they can release a great (yes I think the touchpad is great) product and sell it for $599.99. If tablets came down to HP's firesale prices I think we would see more in customers hands. Companies need to wake up to they are overpriced.
    Netbooks (and most computers) are made from commodity parts that are purchased in very high volumes and slapped together, the motherboard being the only exception. One big price factor in tablets is the touch screen - those still are not nearly as cheap as the basic LCD display in a netbook or other computer. Most of the Touchpad parts are not commodity and every component had to be engineered separately to fit within the weight/speed/heat constraints of a tablet.

    I agree tablets are overpriced and like you, I would NEVER pay $600 for what is essentially a consumption device with limited content creation abilities and a limited ecosystem. I really like my Touchpad, but with all the issues WebOS I can't see the value that HP ascribed to it. I'll use WebOS until it dies and then switch to ICS and have a really great Android tablet for $149.

    If I wanted another tablet I would probably get a Kindle fire, since I am deep in their ecosystem (Prime ftw) and use it as is or load the inevitable Cyanogen mod. I see the value in tablets but not enough to spend more than $200-250 on one. Just my thoughts.
    TheSpike likes this.
  12. #12  
    Price point and hype.

    Just think if HP slashed the price, created all this hype, kept producing them, and increased their take on apps ?

    They'd have a serious competitor ...
  13. #13  
    It's the price.

    It's a no-brainer purchase at 100-150$, simple as that. If you'd have shown me this device 10 years ago I'd have either assumed you were an alien or had more money than god.

    It's amazingly useful and it's cheap enough to practically treat it as a throw-away. I let my 2 year old play with one all the time with absolutely no fear or worry. If HP had 20 million of these things they could find people to buy every single one. Hell, 100$ was the pricepoint they were trying to hit for laptops designed for children in africa. You think they'd rather have a touchpad than that joke of a device they're sending over there now?

    Seriously.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    TheSpike, Vistaus and DeadVim like this.
  14. #14  
    One thing the Touchpad has over the Netbooks is battery life. Mine runs between 8 - 10 hours and is placed on Touchstone during the night. If you carry extra battery or put large battery on a Netbook, then he weight is also an issue, compared to the Touchpad.

    It cannot do all a Netbook can do, but for email and web, the usability and the convenience of a Touchpad are better.
    Vistaus likes this.
  15. paul-c's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    #15  
    WebOS is awesome. And the price, of course.
    Vistaus likes this.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I think the only reason they sell now for $250-300 for the 16GB, when they hardly sold a one before when they were at $299, is word of mouth. I just had a friend today buy one today for $250 all because of me hyping the Touchpad. Before, only a very very small portion of the population new anything about WebOS. I only did from tech sites and I've never seen a WebOS device, ever, before I got the Touchpad.
    Sorry, this is FALSE. When they were priced at $299 and $399 the 16 and 32gb TouchPad were the #2 and #7 best selling tablets on Amazon. Only the Transformer sold more that weekend. Had they continued at those prices, they would have been in "break even" or even "low profitability" range versus giving up two weeks later and dumping everything at the firesale prices. This is why Leo got himself fired. Only it may be too late for Kathy to undo the damage.


    Also consider that more "big name" apps have been released since the death announcement and the TPad is more competitive than ever.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Sorry, this is FALSE. When they were priced at $299 and $399 the 16 and 32gb TouchPad were the #2 and #7 best selling tablets on Amazon. Only the Transformer sold more that weekend. Had they continued at those prices, they would have been in "break even" or even "low profitability" range versus giving up two weeks later and dumping everything at the firesale prices. This is why Leo got himself fired. Only it may be too late for Kathy to undo the damage.


    Also consider that more "big name" apps have been released since the death announcement and the TPad is more competitive than ever.
    PRICE! WebOS is fab, but i certainly wouldnt have known that without the price drop
  18. #18  
    I would not have known that either. There was no way I was shelling out $400+ for a single device. $300 for 2, and 500 total once you added all the accessories, in a "you'll never see a deal this awesome again" deal, and I was more than willing to shell it out.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  19. os1019's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #19  
    I'm quite sure the HP fire sale and the hype that went along with it has made the Touchpad so popular. I actually found about the fire sale from the crowd that gathered in front of nearby Radio shack I mean a crowd in front of a radio shack. After that it spiraled out of control everyone had to have one because everyone else had one.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    TheSpike likes this.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre3Fan View Post
    Actually I got a very relevant opinon here:
    Almost all of my previous HP products(One Pavilion laptop, AIO printer, few months back HP iPaq etc) failed on me, I never trust HP products. At that point of time this Touchpad firesale started.. I was not interested to race into the fire.. after observing the race and knowing that its not actually HP product and quality Palm product branded after HP, I have joined the race(again, price is a major factor) then learned about Pre 3 and raced against it.. all together I have snapped 3 touchpads and at least 7 Pre 3s. started using Pre3 and one touchpad.. after few days, I liked Pre3 and didnt use Touchpad much.. So, eventually I have sold two touchpads, planning to sell the last one too..
    Pre3 is the best bet for the buck compared to Touchpad.. I would rather target a Windows mango touchpad if comes.. (I dont like the apple's "squeeze the customer" policy and Google's "steal the customer data and do the business with it" policy) and settle down...

    So, touchpad craze is purely price based with a reasonable confidence on Palm based products... Now!! its draining gradually...
    HP was developing the TouchPad hardware long before they acquired Palm...it was going to be an Android tablet. When they purchased Palm, they put webOS on it instead. The TouchPad is pure HP hardware, though they added some Palm stylistic cues after the acquisition, to give it a design language similar to other webOS devices before it. Also, I'd be willing to bet most the people purchasing HP TouchPads have no idea it's running Palm's software, let alone thinking it's Palm hardware.
    Last edited by blue duck butter; 11/06/2011 at 04:30 PM.
    TheSpike, rbender and Vistaus like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions