Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #41  
    Most likely the $99 price point and $149 price point was probably HP's cost on each unit is what i'm guessing.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geffen View Post
    Most likely the $99 price point and $149 price point was probably HP's cost on each unit is what i'm guessing.
    No way that's possible. The Kindle Fire is figured on costing Amazon between $190 and $240 to build and that's a 7" tablet with much fewer hardware features. Engadget had an article of the cost to manufacture the 32GB Touchpad at $328, which is a tad higher than $149 firesale price.

HP TouchPad parts analyzed, manufacturing cost similar to the iPad 2 -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    I'm an Apple guy but the TouchPad provides the core functionality I was looking for. I wasn't looking for millions of useless applications. I mean, how many weather widgets do you really need? For <$200 the TouchPad has no equal.
    The core functionality is what drives me up the wall the most. I don't like the browser and I'd rather use my phone because Dolphin HD is a much better browser. The keyboard is horrible compared to the SwiftkeyX keyboard. Media? You can get Netflix, free video players that do as well as the $7 dollar one on WebOS, and PowerAmp is leaps and bounds a much better music player than anything available on the Touchpad. For news, News Republic and USA Today are nice but nowhere near the ability of Pulse News.

My core uses were going to be web browsing, typing, media, and news, which is deficient in all areas on the Touchpad. I now use it for other things that it's great at, such as the Zinio app, sports news, games, and casual reading.
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Many geeks just want to try something different, too.

Just cant understand why HP sold them for $99,
    think they would have cleared for $179+ as well.

The current resale market still active at that price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer77 View Post
    Many geeks just want to try something different, too.

Just cant understand why HP sold them for $99,
    think they would have cleared for $179+ as well.

The current resale market still active at that price.
    $179 is just as arbitrary as $99.
    either way 99 or 179, It's is still cheaper than an ipod touch 8 Gb, LTB (Laughing To the Bank).
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    $179 is just as arbitrary as $99.
    Arbitrary, yes, and both would lose them money. But 500,000 Touchpads at $179 instead of $99 means losing $40million less.

I think HP just had no idea that the response would be as great as it was. If they had, they would have charged more.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Arbitrary, yes, and both would lose them money. But 500,000 Touchpads at $179 instead of $99 means losing $40million less.

I think HP just had no idea that the response would be as great as it was. If they had, they would have charged more.
    It's hard to tell how many they would have sold without the huge press the fire sale received before the sale happened.
    Price for sure. But after using it for the last month, I would definitely drop 200-250 for one....which is the going rate on Craigslist. I actually saw a 32gb going for $200 last week...totally worth it!

For media consumption, you can't beat it. WebOS rules!!
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Price for sure. But after using it for the last month, I would definitely drop 200-250 for one....which is the going rate on Craigslist. I actually saw a 32gb going for $200 last week...totally worth it!

For media consumption, you can't beat it. WebOS rules!!
    There nothing that compares at $250. HP didn't make a $250 touchpad. Look and see what a $250 tablet is like.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    It's number two tablet in the market behind iPad. I think that is damn good.

People love a good deal in this economy. And the fact is touchpad is not half bad so that is icing in the cake.
    TouchPad is not #2 by any measure. Even if you look by manufacturer and not OS TouchPad is not #2 or even close.
    Other than the price (a bonified steal) the only other reason I got the Tpad was the beta version of an Android OS in the offing. I assumed WebOS was dead-ended and would be unsupported (by HP) so Android in the Tpad made more sense. The Tpad has better hardware specs than most of the contenders and even beats the IPad in many ways.

Android on a Tpad for only $150 would be unbeatable.
    jgb (Tpad)
    Palm Treo 680, HP Touchpad
    It's hard to tell how many they would have sold without the huge press the fire sale received before the sale happened.
    NOT hard to tell. The 16 and 32gb TPads were the #2 and #7 BEST SELLING tablets on Amazon the weekend they were $299 (16gb) and $399 (32gb). Leo Apotha******* nuked all webOS devices two weeks after the phenomenal sales and thus was shown the door. (albeit too late)

At those sales, HP would have STILL had over a million TPads in the wild AND have been in break even sales or low profit sales versus the 100's of millions lost. ...And that's how to get fired as CEO of the largest PC maker in the world.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    It's called Slickdeals. If anyone heard about it after the fire sale began it would be (and was) posted on Slickdeals and that would be all she wrote.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgbtpad View Post
    Other than the price (a bonified steal) the only other reason I got the Tpad was the beta version of an Android OS in the offing. I assumed WebOS was dead-ended and would be unsupported (by HP) so Android in the Tpad made more sense. The Tpad has better hardware specs than most of the contenders and even beats the IPad in many ways.

Android on a Tpad for only $150 would be unbeatable.
    I wonder what happened to those Touchpads that were sold with Android on them? or did they ever exist?
    Whoever said "at ~$200 the TouchPad has no equal" is dead right. I love the thing with a patched and clocked webOS, but I also love it with CM7 rockin' and I bet I will ADORE it with a CM ICS ROM on it! Best $99 I ever spent. No exaggeration.

The Kindle Fire is the thing that will truly "beat" the (max)iPad. That little $199 tab pre-sold better than 250,000 units in the first 5 days and since that was a month ago, I bet we are in the millions already. Mark my words, a Fire with a hacked (CM of course) ICS ROM will blow them all away. I haven't bought one yet, but I will probably bite when CM starts hacking at it.

At least until Amazon releases the "Inferno, Conflagration, Explosion" or whatever they call their next tab.
    Can't wait.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123