Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    I think hp should have kept producing them at a loss like amazon is doing and by getting them into people's hands ultimately more apps and development would ensue and help hp become a competitor again.
    It's not that popular. They sold their stock for $99 bucks for a 16 gig model.
    The lower price point got them in peoples' hands, and the nice screen & WebOS experience brought the love. I didn't even know if I'd use mine, but it was worth the risk at $150. Now I use it all the time.
    I still think some people here view the touchpad through rose-colored lenses.

There are no apps, and the thing has a lot of shortcomings. It's just not that great.

Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    It's number two tablet in the market behind iPad. I think that is damn good.

People love a good deal in this economy. And the fact is touchpad is not half bad so that is icing in the cake.
    In addition to the price point I really believe webOS is a contributing factor to the rise in popularity. It's not Android or iOS; it's a unique operating system that offers a very intuitive user experience.

I'm an Apple guy but the TouchPad provides the core functionality I was looking for. I wasn't looking for millions of useless applications. I mean, how many weather widgets do you really need? For <$200 the TouchPad has no equal.
    Initially, I think word of mouth of how functional the TP was at its price point was too hard to ignore (and it still had significant gaps IMHO). When the frenzy began -- it became a life on its own... People driven to get it cuz they don't know why. But the difference here is that many did recognize (once they acquired it) that it had a sort of acquired quality that was non-iOS and non-Android but yet seemed to say it was worth more than the fire sale price (but obviously less than its original market price).

Now all that said, I think its sustained popularity with those who are more tech-savvy has also to do with a key difference from its competition. I think the WebOS homebrew community (at least when I discovered it) is by far one of the best... and has done magnificently to fill in the gaps where HP could not in terms of TP support and enabling the tablet to be able to do a heck of lot more than what people thought was possible.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    There are no apps, and the thing has a lot of shortcomings. It's just not that great.
    I haven't counted but I suspect I have more WebOS apps installed on the TP than have Android apps installed on my 7" Android tab. I do know I have 30 HP market apps bookmarked for further consideration. I guess it depends on what you yourself want to do.

it's cheap enough to practically treat it as a throw-away
    Hmm. Here I treat it with a degree of care that reflects how much I would have to pay to replace it with something comparable. It's only a throw-away if you can pick up another one at the original price, which won't be easy.

[Edit - to actually answer the question I bought mine on the basis that it was the bargain of a lifetime and (unlike an incredibly cheap fishing rod) I would actually be able to make use of it. Now that I know its merits I'd be buying it for those and for the price.]
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post

People love a good deal in this economy. And the fact is touchpad is not half bad so that is icing in the cake.
    #2 in which way? Apple sold 15 million iPad 1 models.
    Considering my current financial constraints, I can't afford to treat my TP as a 'throwaway', and I don't expect many others can either.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    #2 in which way? Apple sold 15 million iPad 1 models.
    He's saying the Ipad is number one and the Touchpad is number 2 but it goes back to the Iphone vs Android marketshare, yes Iphone sells more phones than any other phone sold but in operating system marketshare IOS is far behind Android. WebOS is a niche sector. Just in the last quarter there were 4 million Android tablets sold and it'll keep increasing as prices drop. The Kindle Fire sold, in their preselling, 1/4 of a million tablets in just 5 days. The Fire will easily outsell the Touchpad in the first week of sales after it's released compared to the months of the Touchpad being sold but everyone knows Amazon and the OS.
    Truly, the firesale prices were fantastic. But I missed the whole firesale, just recognised it three days later. Then I bought my TP from ebay for a bit more than double the fs price.

BUT: Since I had my palm Pre in 2009, I never wanted other mobile OSes anymore. It was clear to me that webOS would reflect my way of working and would free my head while using it. And it does! Itís the same with Mac OS: I will keep to Windows, because Mac OS has -- for me -- these barriers built in, which make me work like the OS wants to, and shouldnít it be the other way round?!

I donít need a rear camera, an HDMI output, or Ö in fact, Iím just missing upgradable storage space.

I love my TP as a business equipment, and thatís all because of webOS.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I still think some people here view the touchpad through rose-colored lenses.

Just saying.

Show me another tablet that can do everything it can for 99$. That forgives a lot of things
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I still do not get tablet prices... A new netbook for ~$200... Even with windows 7 starter (or downgraded to windows xp) has more memory (ram, video, storage ie hard drive) and usability then a tablet why does any company think they can release a great (yes I think the touchpad is great) product and sell it for $599.99. If tablets came down to HP's firesale prices I think we would see more in customers hands. Companies need to wake up to they are overpriced.
    Tablets have two things going for them, portability and a touchscreen. Other than those two I agree that a Netbook is more of a flexible option. However, for some reason I could never get my wife or mom to agree to buying a small under powered laptop with a Windows on it, yet they jumped at the chance to have a 10 inch tablet for $250.

I feel for HP or any other tablet maker competing with Apple. People will buy anything with Apple's logo on it now-a-days regardless of the price. People will also not take a tablet seriously if it priced below the iPad. I think the mystique of the TouchPad is that it is a $500-599 tablet selling for $99-250. There is a perceived value in it. Had the TouchPad sold at the firesale price from the beginning, people would have though of it as cheap. Think of the iPad as a Mercedes, the TouchPad as a BMW, and the Kindle Fire as a Hyundai. All three are well built cars. Most folks crave the Mercedes and the BMW, but can only afford the Hyundai. Someone comes along selling BMWs for Hyundai prices and of course everyone tries to get one.
    TheSpike likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    He's saying the Ipad is number one and the Touchpad is number 2 but it goes back to the Iphone vs Android marketshare, yes Iphone sells more phones than any other phone sold but in operating system marketshare IOS is far behind Android. WebOS is a niche sector. Just in the last quarter there were 4 million Android tablets sold and it'll keep increasing as prices drop. The Kindle Fire sold, in their preselling, 1/4 of a million tablets in just 5 days. The Fire will easily outsell the Touchpad in the first week of sales after it's released compared to the months of the Touchpad being sold but everyone knows Amazon and the OS.
    Where is the data that shows that the touchpad is #2?
    Every other manufacturer wants to have the margins that Apple gets. That is not going to happen unless you have the legions of...fans.... that Jobs got to buy into the Apple hype.

They make good products that they have absolute control of and they created a demand for them. Pretty much a blank cheque for Apple.

If you are going to compete then you likely have to work different angles.

HP probably should have went the route of XboX and look to break even on the hardware and recoup with App market sales (especially movies sales.. that is a gold mine).

I bought my wife a TP which is stock. All she wanted was to do some surfing from the couch and email checking and have a few pics and movies of our baby.

I got mine with the intention of Androiding it (or ubuntu..perhaps blackbuntu) but so far I have really enjoyed the webOS. It is just the lack of apps that is slightly painful though i can do most things. I also broke down and got a set of beats earbuds to see if the hype was deserved. I admit the sound is pretty damn good!

I believe HP had a really great horse in the race but the shot it in the head when it was leaving the gate.

The one thing that puzzles me is that no company has snapped up WebOS etc yet. Palm has been around for ages and were basically the great granddad of smart phones. Considering the current patent wars you would think they had a lot to offer. HTC seemed like a natural to scoop the os.
    The touchpad was a stiff on release for whatever reason. The fact they they sold all their stock is simply due to the $99 price point of a $500 unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post

When selling at a price point that loses money on each one.

Trust me, it wouldn't take long to unseat the touchpad from #2 if they sold galaxy tabs for $99

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    In addition to the price point I really believe webOS is a contributing factor to the rise in popularity. It's not Android or iOS; it's a unique operating system that offers a very intuitive user experience.

I'm an Apple guy but the TouchPad provides the core functionality I was looking for. I wasn't looking for millions of useless applications. I mean, how many weather widgets do you really need? For <$200 the TouchPad has no equal.
    I don't know why people keep saying the apps are useless.

Schwab mobile app, i can deposit checks by taking a picture. This is very important to me as there are no Schwab banks outside of Nevada. Deal breaker.

Vue security camera app. I can watch my house from my phone. This is a seal breaker also. I thought I would be able to view the cameras when webOS released flash support but go figure, it doesn't work.

There's two quick examples, i could list 5-10 more and that's just my personal experience. There are so many important apps on android that aren't on webOS. It's my #1 reason I can't own a webOS phone anymore.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
    The one thing that puzzles me is that no company has snapped up WebOS etc yet. Palm has been around for ages and were basically the great granddad of smart phones. Considering the current patent wars you would think they had a lot to offer. HTC seemed like a natural to scoop the os.
    We don't know what HP is asking for it. They might be inflating the price beyond ridiculous to recoup some of the money lost because of their bungling.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast