1.    #1  
    Hi,

I missed out on the fire sale but it sparked my interest in tablets for the first time. Until now I've always seen them as really expensive for what they can do. A guy at work got a Touchpad of eBay (not fire sale price but still cheap). Now I'm tempted to do the same.

I really don't want to spend 400 or more but I'd like a nice tablet and because I can get this for 200 or less it would seem like a good "entry level" tablet for me.

All I will use it for is web browsing, Facebook/Twitter, email, watching videos and listening to music. I don't need a big app selection. If I can stick a few retro video games on there that would be cool too.

My 2 concerns that are holding me back right now are:
    - Lack of OS support and updates (but given my intended use of the device I'd hope this won't be an issue).
    - Hardware issues (I keep hearing about the case cracking quite badly and that would really hinder my enjoyment).

Sorry if these fears are naive. I'm really new to the tablet scene. I've done a little research and watched a fair few comparison videos online. My current thinking is either 200 Touchpad or 329 Xoom. I'd rather go with the Touchpad as long as it will be reliable (even if unsupported) and that it won't start cracking or breaking on me since I don't know where I'll stand warranty-wise if I eBay it.

If any current owners could advise/share their experiences I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance!
    "web browsing, Facebook/Twitter, email, watching videos and listening to music. I don't need a big app selection. If I can stick a few retro video games on there that would be cool too.

My 2 concerns that are holding me back right now are:
    - Lack of OS support and updates (but given my intended use of the device I'd hope this won't be an issue).
    - Hardware issues (I keep hearing about the case cracking quite badly and that would really hinder my enjoyment). "

I do all those things with the current os update--web twitter email video music retro games (not facebook-shudder).
    also kindle. It comes in handy for traveling to take instead of laptop do notes light doc editing change reservations etc and I've been able to rig it for usb to read sd cards. Current webos games and book apps, google reader and read it later apps work great too.
    no hardware issues on the two I have.

if you can get it for a good price, go for it.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    For what you're going to use it for it would be almost perfect. The only drawback in your list would be web browsing, because the browser is not very good and even the paid browser app is sorely lacking compared to free browsers on other platforms but it gets the job done pretty well. For the price you'd have to pay for a comparable tablet then I think that deficiency is well worth it and the WebOS environment is better than Honeycomb and may not have the native app quality of IOS but the multitasking and simplicity are better.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the responses - much appreciated.

I played with the browser and it seems just fine for my needs. Also I thought the audio quality is surprisingly good which also attracts me.

The only thing bugging me is the fear of getting stuck with cracks. Is that a widespread problem or a minority thing - as far as you know?

Thanks again :-)
    I thought I saw a poll on here about cracks and the vast majority report no cracks (last time I checked).

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    While it is not a problem to the majority of TouchPad owners, there is a significant amount of cracking at the speakers reported in this forum. As stated by HP, the cracks are in a nonstructural area and unlike the Pre that had a monolithic plastic screen/case design, it will not spread into the glass screen. It's up to you to decide if that will bother you if the cracking does occur to your TouchPad.