Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    So HP has a current "fire sale" price of $100/149 for 16 and 32 GB TP's, which they have proven sell as fast as orders can be processed at those prices. BB and WalMart know this and they know they can't raise the price so how o they make more money? They bundle them with very expensive other items like HP laptops and then let you buy them for the fire sale price. Pretty scummy if you ask me.

These bundles don't even lower the current retail price on any of the bundled items, it just forces you to buy more so retailers can generate more profit.

Tiger Direct just did the same thing with their bundle.

What a joke!
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    why is it a joke?

think about it. If you owned a business and you had a few touchpads lying around, knowing they are a product in demand (albeit a possibly dead end product), wouldn't you try to maximize profits?

if hp was smarter, they should have waited until webos was ready for desktop pcs, then bundled the touchpads with their other crap at firesale prices during the back to school season and holiday shopping season.
    They are giving touchpad one more chance by testing the bundle market. If it does well, HP might consider bringing touchpad back. If not, bye bye webos
    Kind of makes sense to me. If some one needs a new laptop and is on the fence and needs a little push this might do it. Look at it this way, for the price of an ipad, you get a laptop and a tablet
    I think HP is just trying to maintain a positive relationship with their resellers by giving the excess touchpads from recent production to their biggest customers (for less than what they'd sell one to you or i). This is good for the resellers, since they can use it as a ploy to drive other sales, and therefore , good for HP, since they ****ed off these same resellers with the fiasco in the first place. Customers can still get the device for the price,if conditionally, the resellers get the action, and HP washes their hands of it. From a point, everybody wins. Just in how you look at it.
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    Retailers have the option/right to set the TP's prices.

BB is selling the TPs at fire sale prices
    with purchase of a HP computer, if not bundled, at full price.

HP has no inventory left. Who knows? If the sales look promising, TP might be reborn, but don't hold your breath. Many factors have to be taken into account, not the least of which is component suppliers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    So HP has a current "fire sale" price of $100/149 for 16 and 32 GB TP's, which they have proven sell as fast as orders can be processed at those prices. BB and WalMart know this and they know they can't raise the price so how o they make more money? They bundle them with very expensive other items like HP laptops and then let you buy them for the fire sale price. Pretty scummy if you ask me.

These bundles don't even lower the current retail price on any of the bundled items, it just forces you to buy more so retailers can generate more profit.

Tiger Direct just did the same thing with their bundle.

What a joke!
    Please explain to me how this is "scummy" or a "joke"?

And why would they reduce the bundle price? The firesale price is already ridiculously crazy low.
    They figured that out, don't want to raise it directly - but still reduce their losses a bit by getting some marketing buzz out of it.

If you are in the market for a new laptop *and* would like to to get a cheap tablet then this is still a great deal.
    If you just want the TP - but know somebody who is about to buy a HP laptop - you still can get a great deal done.

From HPs standpoint - they still make a heavy loss on the TP - but at least you buy a HP Laptop instead of a Dell, Asus, Sony or Lenovo.

Actually makes HP marketing look a little bit more savvy after all the stupidity this year.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Please explain to me how this is "scummy" or a "joke"?

And why would they reduce the bundle price? The firesale price is already ridiculously crazy low.
    They figured that out, don't want to raise it directly - but still reduce their losses a bit by getting some marketing buzz out of it.

If you are in the market for a new laptop *and* would like to to get a cheap tablet then this is still a great deal.
    If you just want the TP - but know somebody who is about to buy a HP laptop - you still can get a great deal done.

From HPs standpoint - they still make a heavy loss on the TP - but at least you buy a HP Laptop instead of a Dell, Asus, Sony or Lenovo.

Actually makes HP marketing look a little bit more savvy after all the stupidity this year.
    If they knew they were going to do this then they should not have told people that they would make the 2nd batch of touchpads available to customers for the firesale price. That is why its "scummy".
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    If they knew they were going to do this then they should not have told people that they would make the 2nd batch of touchpads available to customers for the firesale price. That is why its "scummy".
    That is my point. Don't make a statement about how you plan on making another batch so you can satisfy demand, if your real intent was to provide them to retailers who could then bundle them.

I understand capitalism and trying to make a profit whenever you can, especially in a soft economy, but just call a spade a spade.

These retailers are known as discount retailers so they can't dare sell something higher than the "suggested retail price" but their way around it is to only offer you the cheap product if you buy other stuff with it, that is completely unnecessary.

That is my point. I have a TP but what about the webOS loyalists that can't afford the higher price and will never be able to get one unless they but the other crap, like students and the others with limited resources.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Would you have bought a TP at full price?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    Would you have bought a TP at full price?
    I did -- call me a sucker, but my plan on the whole ecosystem and a Pre 3 integrated with the TP along with the full commitment of the largest computer manufacturer in the world behind it was worth it to me. I then happily took a credit at my BB when HP EOL'd it, but with the lack of support and all the uncertainty surrounding webOS I would be very upset today without the price reduction.

I recognize that the vast majority of TP owners only bought because they were priced like an ereader and could care less about webOS but I was different I guess.

Obviously at $150 for a 32 GB tablet I have patience but for me a full price fully supported device would be a better option.
    Last edited by Dsol; 11/05/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    lol @ thinking retailers make money on computers
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Selling two unprofitable products together does not make a larger profit. It does however translate to a larger amount of total sales, which is one metric that retail businesses are very concerned with. But, in any case, it is the business of a company to make profit, and to make sales. So why are you angry that this is what they are trying to do? No retailer is in business solely out of the kindness of their hearts. They're all out there to make money. I could only hope though that the quick sellout of the bundles would cause a reprieve for our devices.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I've tried bestbuy, walmart who won't ship Canada and missed tigerdirect who would ship does anyone know a way round this?
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    They are giving touchpad one more chance by testing the bundle market. If it does well, HP might consider bringing touchpad back. If not, bye bye webos
    If that were the case HP would have just released the touchpads with a midrange price point and tested the market, not gone after bundles. This was most likely a way to heal wounds with a few major buyers of consumer HP products and at the same time drive some additional sales for both. I'm sure BB, Wal-mart and others were very upset w/ the way HP handled that fire sale, they had a lot invested with displays & marketing etc.

I'm not saying say webos hardware is dead, but this venture iMO won’t have any impact on a long term decision on the hardware. Hp has been saying all along that webos wasn't dead at this point, just they wanted out of the hardware end, who knows that could change. I don't think HP is smart enough to know what to do w/ webos and they are just lost at this point, if they don't make a move soon it will surly die. Hp and webos has the market penetration at this point, so if they can use it to their advantage webos will live on. If not, webos will most likely die a slow death over the next 2-3 years. Over a million customers looking for appz is very appealing.. that is potentially a LOT of revenue if you bring something good to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    lol @ thinking retailers make money on computers
    LOL for thinking they don't, trust me they make some profit on most, but obviously having volume is key as margin is very low on hardware but these retailers have tricks to make money on even the loss leaders of this category. Think warranty and service contracts etc... software upgrades and purchase kick backs through partner channels. Half of the loss leaders are via MIR's that only have a 60% or less redemption in most cases and always require a upgrade in software (ie office, virus etc) that typically results in additional income. Remember all the bundles w/ internet etc in years past. These guys are VERY good at making money, don't think for a second it's not profitable or they would get out of the business.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/06/2011 at 09:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    You and Dsol are confusing HP with retailers. The second batch was sold direct by HP on hp.com. I know because I got one of the very last ones sold there. What BB and WM do with their inventory is NOT controlled by HP. These retailers (including Tiger) are doing what they want with their inventory. As far as I know, none of these units came from the second batch.
  17.    #17  
    My original comment was directed toward the retailers and their practices. I know BB told me all of their inventory was returned to HP, obviously BB hung on to them or some of them because they are now bundling them.

My frustration with HP lies in their complete knee jerk reaction to kill all hardware and simultaneously cut the prices so low that it took pure luck to find them along with a small window as well. This product kill is clearly not the retailer's fault, however they have now been opportunistic in their decision to bundle the TPls to force a sale of other devices.

Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post

LOL for thinking they don't, trust me they make some profit on most, but obviously having volume is key as margin is very low on hardware but these retailers have tricks to make money on even the loss leaders of this category. Think warranty and service contracts etc... software upgrades and purchase kick backs through partner channels. Half of the loss leaders are via MIR's that only have a 60% or less redemption in most cases and always require a upgrade in software (ie office, virus etc) that typically results in additional income. Remember all the bundles w/ internet etc in years past. These guys are VERY good at making money, don't think for a second it's not profitable or they would get out of the business.
    if best buy or walmart JUST was a computer department, they woulda been outta business years ago.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    You and Dsol are confusing HP with retailers. The second batch was sold direct by HP on hp.com. I know because I got one of the very last ones sold there. What BB and WM do with their inventory is NOT controlled by HP. These retailers (including Tiger) are doing what they want with their inventory. As far as I know, none of these units came from the second batch.
    Actually this is HP not the retailers. They are selling the new batch of touchpads that were made after they were out of inventory. And they are doing it according to HP's direction and adhering to HP's rules which they established which include only one TP per person.

This is a change in direction at HP to assist both their retail partners and their own bottom line in driving sales of other HP electronics. If you have any doubt, attempt to buy two even with two separate purchases of HP hardware. You will be told no, and you will be given an 800 number at HP to call and complain about the program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    My original comment was directed toward the retailers and their practices. I know BB told me all of their inventory was returned to HP, obviously BB hung on to them or some of them because they are now bundling them.

My frustration with HP lies in their complete knee jerk reaction to kill all hardware and simultaneously cut the prices so low that it took pure luck to find them along with a small window as well. This product kill is clearly not the retailer's fault, however they have now been opportunistic in their decision to bundle the TPls to force a sale of other devices.

Luckily the asshat that made that decision was fired and the new CEO has already stopped the killing of the hardware and is at least looking at saving the software too. I am still hopeful for a good outcome for webOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast