Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1.    #1  
    3.0.4 runs sooo much smoother compared to 3.0.2 and the accelerometer is probably "not working" because the apps need to be updated...the 3.0.4 update is huge in my opinion!
    Lots of people having problem after update, but personally I felt 3.0.4 better then previous version. The only problem I got so far after update is distort sound, but that happened sometimes, no so frequent.
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunksaliby View Post
    3.0.4 runs sooo much smoother compared to 3.0.2 and the accelerometer is probably "not working" because the apps need to be updated...the 3.0.4 update is huge in my opinion!
    yes please stop complaining and keep quiet.. especially if you are happy with 304 and don't want any future builds to have fixes for any of our problems.

Please keep in mind though right now maybe the best and only time to get our issues known, and corrected. The hp dev team is getting smaller and smaller and the future is at best uncertain. My point of view give them as much detail as possible right now while they are working so they can get as much of this os as 'right' as possible so we have even better touchpads for the remainder of their usable life.

just my 2c
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    What the OP might be referring to are those numerous "3.0.4 sucks, I'll go back, 3.0.2 was heaven"-threads that have absolutely no content whatsoever (much similar to the "WebOS sucks, I'll use Android"-posts). What annoys me additionally is the spamming of problem posts with "here to"-answers. How about introducing a button for that so that the thread can be used to investigate the problem?
    If you think of it from a total "non-techy" end user then YES 3.0.2 IS BETTER THAN 3.0.4 as the optimization will not be noticed by many.

Here is what 3.0.4 broke for me that worked perfectly before...and again backend optimization and a camera app (which I had one before 3.0.4) doesnt count:

1) Frequent distorted sound
    2) Some apps not functioning properly...mainly PDK (dev issue...but still an issue)
    3) Wont charge on TS with my case on anymore (I could care less about a compass on a tablet...didn't even realize it was broken...but have to deal with taking it out of the case everytime I want to charge it now...ugh!

So yah even for me (somewhat techy...work in IT was work so always fixing issues with technology) 3.0.4 is a step down from 3.0.2

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    @djeremyc, I hv none of yr issues which you mentioned. In my opinion, 304 is a huge step up from 302. I previously need to rely on 302 performance improvement patch for performance improvement. With 304, I am happy without any patches.

it rocks!
    slamdunksaliby likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus20 View Post
    @djeremyc, I hv none of yr issues which you mentioned. In my opinion, 304 is a huge step up from 302. I previously need to rely on 302 performance improvement patch for performance improvement. With 304, I am happy without any patches.

it rocks!
    I dont have any overclock patches or different kernals installed. Only patches I really use are like Advanced system menu, etc minor patches - think i have muffled system logging too but that is about it

1) Not sure what causes my audio problem, if it is related to a certain app, duration or not powered down, etc

2) App - Bug Village - sometimes when you boot it up and try to hit hte play button it will not register as a tap...was not a problem on 3.0.2. Free app too! Could you install and see if you have the same issue?

3) You will definitely have this issue if your case is a thicker one - as the Targus TRUSS case is - worked prior to the update, but since they decreased the range on the coil (I think thats what they did) it is outside that distance so will not charge unless its a bare TP out of the case.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Just because some of you dont have issues does not mean all of them dont. the Touchpad is more than just 4 browsing and though the browser has been improved, many other features have been messed up.

If you dont use those features does not mean the features are fault free.

also developers care less abt updating their apps for a dying platform. you and HP/palm should know that.
    2) App - Bug Village - sometimes when you boot it up and try to hit hte play button it will not register as a tap...was not a problem on 3.0.2. Free app too! Could you install and see if you have the same issue?

I have this issue. Minimizing the app to card view then maximizing again fixes it. Weird.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1229 View Post
    Just because some of you dont have issues does not mean all of them dont. the Touchpad is more than just 4 browsing and though the browser has been improved, many other features have been messed up.

If you dont use those features does not mean the features are fault free.

also developers care less abt updating their apps for a dying platform. you and HP/palm should know that.
    I completely agree. What frustrates me to no end is why people try to downplay other people's issues or worse say that because they don't have then that they don't exist, etc.

Bottomline is despite whatever improvements were brought with 3.0.4 it broke some things that are not acceptable and they need to be fixed. Because the OS automatically updates itself then 3.0.5 needs to fix these issues.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Dsol; 11/05/2011 at 12:37 PM.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    To the OP, I didn't notice a whole lot of improvements with 3.0.4. Prior to 3.0.4 I was running 1.7GHz, I had all the appropriate patches installed to improve performances. I already had paid for KalemSoft Media Player that allowed me to use the media files that were updated with 3.0.4.

The only noticeable changes, for me, were the auto-correct not working properly, which I "fixed" by turning it off, and the new random distorted sound issue, which I fix by a reboot.

It was hardly an outstanding update, for me, but I've just learned (or have already learned to deal with webOS over the years) to deal with it.

Other issues that were fixed, were of no concern to me, ie PDF rendering.

I think there are valid reasons for people to complain about these issues. Some like myself, deal with them better than others, but I can understand the frustration that some are having.

I think those that have learned to deal with these issues are just used to putting up with the little webOS quirks. Could be wrong, but that's how I see it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    vella_ likes this.
    I agree with sledge. I think everyone is entitled to give feedback, be it positive or negative. The sound issues are not cool, and I hope HP will rectify this bug asap. But to tell people to not give feedback, even if you see it as useless bantering negates the whole purpose of the precentral forums. This is a place to discuss webOS. Minus the occasional trolls, I think the mods keep most threads on track, and the argumentative threads obsolete.

However, if you don't want to read the threads giving negative feedback then just don't read them.

3.0.4 is a hot mess in my opinion, and it were not for hb my tp would not be what it is now. Aaaaand its purty snappy if I don't say so mah self! Xox
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vella_ View Post
    I agree with sledge. I think everyone is entitled to give feedback, be it positive or negative. The sound issues are not cool, and I hope HP will rectify this bug asap. But to tell people to not give feedback, even if you see it as useless bantering negates the whole purpose of the precentral forums. This is a place to discuss webOS. Minus the occasional trolls, I think the mods keep most threads on track, and the argumentative threads obsolete.

However, if you don't want to read the threads giving negative feedback then just don't read them.

3.0.4 is a hot mess in my opinion, and it were not for hb my tp would not be what it is now. Aaaaand its purty snappy if I don't say so mah self! Xox
    Yep it's faster in general but I keep getting the muffled sound (have to restart) and WiFi not connecting after it's been sitting for awhile. (Turn Airport mode on/off). Nothing horrible but certainly annoying and wasn't present with the previous version.
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    Yep it's faster in general but I keep getting the muffled sound (have to restart) and WiFi not connecting after it's been sitting for awhile. (Turn Airport mode on/off). Nothing horrible but certainly annoying and wasn't present with the previous version.
    kind of a not broke don't fix it. 3.0.2 wasn't perfect but it sure as heck didn't do half the crap 3.0.4 does. I have patched the crap out my tp, and I'll patiently await HP to fix what they BROKE=]
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by slamdunksaliby View Post
    Keep in mind this:

As webOS updates become fewer and far between (and no products are on the horizon), many developers will simply stop updating their apps. Not all, but a significant proportion will--and in many cases, already have. (Especially apps from larger companies like Glu.) Therefore, if HP breaks functionality or changes API calls, you can't rely on the developers to to spend the time it'll take to read through what's changed in webOS, install the SDK update, patch their apps, and go through the process of resubmitting it to the App Catalog to work around or resolve these issues. As developers peel off from webOS and concentrate on other thriving platforms, a great deal of them won't be looking back.

And it's not without precedent: If you look at the initial 1.x generation of apps, a vast majority of webOS developers that came on board in the first wave left when nothing was released by Palm during the "great dry spell" of 2010 through April, 2011. And most never came back. Just click through some of the Developer Forums here for a few minutes if you want to see a representative sampling for yourself.

So, it's not so cut and dry. Relying on the developers to take up the slack, for practical and realistic reasons, isn't always going to be possible.
    Last edited by vanadium; 11/05/2011 at 01:41 PM.
    steffej3 likes this.
    Keep in mind this:

As webOS updates become fewer and far between (and no products are on the horizon), many developers will simply stop updating their apps. Not all, but a significant proportion will--and in many cases, already have. (Especially apps from larger companies like Glu.) Therefore, if HP breaks functionality or changes API calls, you can't rely on the developers to to spend the time it'll take to read through what's changed in webOS, install the SDK update, patch their apps, and go through the process of resubmitting it to the App Catalog to work around or resolve these issues. As developers peel off from webOS and concentrate on other thriving platforms, a great deal of them won't be looking back.

And it's not without precedent: If you look at the initial 1.x generation of apps, a vast majority of webOS developers that came on board in the first wave left when nothing was released by Palm during the "great dry spell" of 2010 through April, 2011. And most never came back. Just click through some of the Developer Forums here for a few minutes if you want to see a representative sampling for yourself.

So, it's not so cut and dry. Relying on the developers to take up the slack, for practical and realistic reasons, isn't always going to be possible.
    Wordpress stopped working for me and I've always blamed it on the fact Wordpress failed to keep up with the OS updates. I used it a lot and now can't. You make a valid point (although I still hope the updates come).

Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    I've had to restart the TouchPad due to distorted sound from time to time. It never happened before, but the update helped out in other spots so I'm alright with the trade-off.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I think any updated release is a step forward and as with any update even Microsoft's there are new issues to be addressed. But at least the Webos is moving forward. They fix the new issues if they are made aware of the problems (requires calling them though and not bellie aching on this or other forums). New capabilities and apps may appear as well.

If something is broke they want to hear so call and report it. They will try and fix it. I have called countless times and continue to do so. That's what you need to do if you want the OS to mature further. HP has not abandoned it!!!
    I have not updated to 3.04 because of all the problems reported. I won't update until these problems are fixed. I just turned the updater off. I'm happy with 3.02.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    DeadVim likes this.
    I would totally disagree that the optimizations would hardly be noticed -- my girlfriend who didn't even consider the touchpad sluggish during 3.0.0 or 3.0.2 after installing 3.0.4 finally noticed an "amazing" speed improvement. And neither of us have had any of the problems that other people are complaining about, except mine has had the fuzzy am radio style sound once. An unaltered 3.0.4 benchmarks nearly identical to a 1.5ghz fully tricked out 3.0.2, and has numerous improvements in other areas as well.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    slamdunksaliby likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast