Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    the original wall charger this is. Since update 304 I've noticed - didn't notice before. Is it Normal? Its almost too hot to wrap my hand around the cylinder part. It is connected properly I've checked - undone and done it back up. Also the reason I was checking was cos it has been on charge for about 4 hours and still only at 61% is that normal (not using while it was charging). Prior to today it seemed to charge up ok. Did update a while ago so don't think its that.
    Yeah I have two of those chargers and they never get really hot, maybe just a bit warm. I would maybe stop using that charger.
    Original HP Cable OK? Not pinched or damaged?
    Try Reset.. maybe a 'software' glitch?
    1969bob likes this.
  4.    #4  
    (original hp charger and cable excellent condition)

Ok I've done a hard reset and decided to let youtube play while I charge it. Can't explain my reasoning other than to kind of let it use some energy while it's charging. Seems to have worked as it's now up to 69% and the charger part is warm but not hot like it was.

A bit worrying really re: housefires etc doesn't inspire me with confidence. The battery was not completely depleted (I never let it run right down) so don't know what caused it.
    Get rid of it. You can buy a new one for like $12 on Amazon or upgrade to a Touchstone if you feel like it (while they are still available). It's not worth a house fire. It should never get that hot - there is something wrong with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandslondon View Post
    (original hp charger and cable excellent condition)

Ok I've done a hard reset and decided to let youtube play while I charge it. Can't explain my reasoning other than to kind of let it use some energy while it's charging. Seems to have worked as it's now up to 69% and the charger part is warm but not hot like it was.

A bit worrying really re: housefires etc doesn't inspire me with confidence. The battery was not completely depleted (I never let it run right down) so don't know what caused it.
    Perhaps a software Power Management 'glitch'?
    Sounds like the Reset sorted it.. cable is physically OK?
  7.    #7  
    yeah cable etc is perfect its all as new. I guess some kind of software glitch
    yeah cable etc is perfect its all as new. I guess some kind of software glitch
    HOPEfully.. yes!
    I reckon it's an excellent idea to do a regular 'reset' every so often anyway. Helps prevent 'TP' getting it's digital knickers in a twist!

Keep a watchful eye on it though!

I would open a chat session with HP and request a replacement. I had a faulty one and they overnighted a replacement.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    It's pretty doubtful that a software glitch could cause the charger to overheat. Call HP and get them to send you a new one. Whatever you do, don't leave that thing plugged in when you're not around to monitor it, overheating transformers are a major fire hazard.
    Quote Originally Posted by BooR4dley View Post
    It's pretty doubtful that a software glitch could cause the charger to overheat. Call HP and get them to send you a new one. Whatever you do, don't leave that thing plugged in when you're not around to monitor it, overheating transformers are a major fire hazard.
    We just don't know.. but a reset appears to have 'cured' it.
    Remember the 'exploding laptop' phase where batteries were catching fire through the overenthusiastic 'settings' built into them?

There seem to be 3.0.4 Touchstone charger 'changes' too.

Take care.. yes!

im kind of worried about mine as well as i noticed it tends to make a barely audible high pitched whine when its not plugged into my TP(i tend to leave it plugged into the wall all the time even when the charger is not in use).
    Can you -normally- hear high current AC adapters ? Some people can hear that stuff, it must drive them nuts. I can hear tube-style TVs that are on but not tuned to anything, just showing a black screen. It drives me freakin bonkers.

If you can't normally hear an AC adapter, but you can hear this one, you might want to get tech support on the line.

And to the guy's who got really hot, you're basically looking at -some- kind of a physical failure. If it ever does it again, you get support to send you a new one right away, if you haven't already had them send you one.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    '..you're basically looking at -some- kind of a physical failure..'

Yes, and nowadays, even 'software' causing a few atoms at a transistor-point to be sent the 'wrong' info and causing a subsequent undesired chain effect, IS a 'physical failure'!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/05/2011 at 02:21 AM.
    well, there's a surprising amount of points of failure. Could be the connector on the touchpad, could be the connector on either side of the USB cable, could be some component on the inside of the charger. It's probably not a software failure, even if it did go away after a cycle. Anything's possible, though, in this weird world.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    well, there's a surprising amount of points of failure. Could be the connector on the touchpad, could be the connector on either side of the USB cable, could be some component on the inside of the charger. It's probably not a software failure, even if it did go away after a cycle. Anything's possible, though, in this weird world.
    Yes.. weird atomic world OK!

If the OP's setup had simply just 'stopped charging' then 'failure' may be the more apt description.. but the fact that it seems to have 'jammed' at 61%, with the charger still desperately trying to charge something.. and overheating in the process, inticates to me that the problem is just as likely to be a (temporary) software Power Managment Control 'issue'?

17.    #17  
    honestly I don' think the actual physical charger caused the problem. I took it apart and also unplugged it from the tp a couple of times and left it plugged in for a while longer but as said it had def got stuck. It Must have been a software type thing since the reset did it. Imo anyway.
    honestly I don' think the actual physical charger caused the problem. I took it apart and also unplugged it from the tp a couple of times and left it plugged in for a while longer but as said it had def got stuck. It Must have been a software type thing since the reset did it. Imo anyway.
    'Cool'!

That is what I intuited remotely also, anyway!
    I really hope it stays 'unstuck' (and cool) for you now.

Keep your eye on it though!

This may be of interest when the TouchPad Barrel PSU becomes scarce as a spare part.

I have successfully modified this Apple iPad charger to work with the Touchpad and charge at full rate. The unit is in two parts and the wall adapter part is available in three trpes to suit USA, European and UK standards.
    New Mains Wall Charger For Apple Ipad 1 , 2 + Cable UK | eBay

The modification is electrically identical to that I have described for the Car charger though the physical layout is different internally. I have managed to split and re-close the unit without any apparent damage.

The unit is very compact and smaller than the Barrel PSU. On the USA version, the mains pins fold away into the body to make it very portable.

I can post details in the Car Charger thread if anybody is interested.
    Good stuff!

Nice 'irony' that iP*d will be securing TouchPad charging-spares future for us!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast