Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    As all of you may know, Best Buy has the Touchpad on sale for firesale prices with the purchase of a new computer. I'm about due for a new desktop anyway, but I have a problem... not sure if I want to do the deal. Here is why:

1) I don't want reward HP for their massive incompetence (you have to by an HP computer to get the discounted Touchpad ) If I could buy a Lenovo desktop and get the deal this would be an easier decision. If HP had sold of the OS to someone else with courage, I'd have the the Touchpad already.

2) Since HP has shown NO commitment to the hardware, I don't know if I want to depend on them to even keep the catalog running, let alone providing support should the screen or speakers quit at some point in it's life (figuring 2 years of even pay for support is reasonable to expect)

3) The claims to support the software have been somewhat hollow. I'm technically adept, but I don't want a tool that requires massive amounts of tech time to keep running. I want to run webOS, I don't want to run Android or Ububtu on a tablet... though I'd be willing to convinced that I would like particularly Ubuntu.

4) Don't really NEED a tablet, though I could find a good use for one at that price.

I am an unashamed webOS fan... but not an f**b**y. I'll run my so far solid Pre plus (21 months and counting) until it dies, but I'm not interested in leading the 'resistance' to keep webOS alive if the companies (company) that should are not willing to do what they need to do to support it.

Come on guys (and gals), make your best case either way.

C
    Last edited by C-Note; 11/02/2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: #4 should have been "a good use for one"
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    make your decision on what is the good desktop.
    if best buy offers that model at a good price, get it. You will love the touchpad, very addicting.
    all 4 of your points are against getting a Touchpad so don't get one.

Here is the thing I say. Find another tab, for 99$ that can compete with the HP touchpad. You can't. 1 year warranty is good enough. They did an update, looks like another is coming soon. And the community of people are nice, unlike the android community who is nothing but a bunch of drama fans and fight all day.

Why not get one, try it, if you don't like it sell it?
    Based on your points, it's absolutely simple: Don't do it.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post

Here is the thing I say. Find another tab, for 99$ that can compete with the HP touchpad. You can't. 1 year warranty is good enough. They did an update, looks like another is coming soon. And the community of people are nice, unlike the android community who is nothing but a bunch of drama fans and fight all day.

Sorry, but as a long time member of the Android community I can say there are tons of stand up people who really make the community worth while to be apart of. While I think that the community on this site is top notch, most of the Android folks aren't far behind.

For $100 it's a solid tablet to surf the web and read some books (kindle app works well with my library books). I bring it with me anywhere there is a wifi connection and use it often. Having said that, I used the Touchpad as an trial run for tablets (which I recommend you should do if you got the $100 to spare). For a $100 if I didn't use it and it collected dust then oh well. But it was money well spent, it get's used often, and I now know that I will be getting another tablet in the future (next time with Android so I can use the full force of their market and the apps I have already purchased with my phone).
    dignitary likes this.
    Go Ebay for a TP.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Seriously, dude... by the time you buy the desktop and add in the Touchpad for firesale price, you've already zipped past the price of a new iPad. Why would you buy a new desktop just to get a discontinued device that was meant to replace most of what you already do on a desktop in the first place?

Just get a new iPad or Android tablet and enjoy it. The whole reason HP was spinning off the desktop market in the first place (and why Apple is shifting most of their resources into their mobile offerings) is because the desktop market is dying, and most big manufacturers know this. Give it another 3 years, and the only place you'll find desktops are on the desks in offices or with hard core gamers.
    I don't think I would buy that bundle unless it reflected a great price on a PC close to what I was planning to buy anyway. I don't plan to buy any HP computers or printers any time soon... And by soon I mean between now and when Jesus returns.
    pogeypre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    Seriously, dude... by the time you buy the desktop and add in the Touchpad for firesale price, you've already zipped past the price of a new iPad. Why would you buy a new desktop just to get a discontinued device that was meant to replace most of what you already do on a desktop in the first place?

Just get a new iPad or Android tablet and enjoy it. The whole reason HP was spinning off the desktop market in the first place (and why Apple is shifting most of their resources into their mobile offerings) is because the desktop market is dying, and most big manufacturers know this. Give it another 3 years, and the only place you'll find desktops are on the desks in offices or with hard core gamers.
    I think you are a little ahead of yourself. The desktop PC market will be around for 10 or more years. Also, as I prefer to have my documents non clouded, I will be a customer.

An iPad/Touchpad/Andorid Tablet, cannot currently remove the need for a full size keyboard. So I say buy what you need now, not what you might possibly be able to get along with.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

EBay or Craigslist or even Amazon is better than spending your money at Best Buy
    1. Don't reward HP.......reward yourself!

2. I'm going on 3.5 months and think I've gotten my money's worth, even if it quit tomorrow. I'd hope it wouldn't, but I've definitely have used it enough to compensate the $149.

3. Aside from maybe an hour, two at the max, at the start. Little to no maintenance required. This is not a Palm Pre with 400+ patches. There are roughly 40-50, I use about 10 of them.

4. With a decent PC/laptop, nobody truly NEEDS a tablet, but they are fun to have around.

If CM7 is your thing, it takes about 20 minutes to install. I have it, but hardly use it.

I also had Ubuntu on at one point, but have since removed it, as I wasn't really using it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post

point #4 was mis-typed originally. It has been corrected. For the record, only the $149.00 model is available.

C
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Based on your points, it's absolutely simple: Don't do it.
    Vanadium, you are developer of one of my favorite products (Hibikki Radio... try it out everyone). I understand that you have soured on Palm/HP and I can't say I'd blame you. They didn't show you guys any loyalty.

But give me pros AND cons as you see them if you would and not just a "don't buy".

C
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Go Ebay for a TP.
    How is this any better than buying from Best Buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    How is this any better than buying from Best Buy?
    Because at Best Buy you have to get a TouchPad AAAAANNNDDD a computer for 600 bucks, or buy a TouchPad on ebay for 200-400.

If you want both, go Best Buy. If you want just the TP, then go eBay.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

1969bob likes this.
    The TP is great for casual web surfing, kindle, e-mail, light games and a few other things like that. None of these things really require on-going support from HP and there is a vibrant homebrew community that will probably provide meaningful support to this device until something approaching the end of time. There is already an Alpha build of an Android port out there and so it is only a matter of time before dual-booting into Android addresses the relative lack of applications in the webOS ecosystem.

The only thing that is really wrong with the TP is what is wrong with all tablets today - nobody but the most light computer users imaginable can actually replace a regular computer with a tablet - it is just too limited in relation to what we expect of our current computers. A tablet is really not much more than a very convenient form-factor for doing a subset of the stuff you can already do perfectly well on any small laptop. So for $99 it is totally worth having. At $500-600, you might as well just buy a thin/light laptop for a little more money or a netbook for even less.

So I would say if you were already definitely planning to buy a PC anyway and you can good deal on an HP computer that works for you, I'd do the $99 add-on for the TP in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't pay significantly more for the HP computer or get one that didn't fit my needs well just to grab the $99 deal. My TP is very nice and I use it a lot, but it ultimately isn't going to change your life that much to have a tablet at this point in your life - it is still a product that has a long maturation cycle ahead of it. In maybe 5 years everybody will have them and few people will need a desktop - but that's still a long way off.

At least right now, buying an add-on TP for $99 is basically a risk free purchase since you can turn around and sell it on ebay for more than you paid for it used if you decide you don't like it.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post

I'd have to agree with Pogeypre (see below) the demise of the desktop has been greatly exaggerated. A tablet only existence maybe OK for people who only surf the web and read e-mail, but not for the rest of us. And certianly not if a person is a writer, runs a business, or needs rock solid access to a large number of critical files.

The cloud is OK for backup, and some services, but not for everything... at least not for me.
    geewhiz likes this.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hey1steve1 View Post
    Sorry, but as a long time member of the Android community I can say there are tons of stand up people who really make the community worth while to be apart of. While I think that the community on this site is top notch, most of the Android folks aren't far behind.

For $100 it's a solid tablet to surf the web and read some books (kindle app works well with my library books). I bring it with me anywhere there is a wifi connection and use it often. Having said that, I used the Touchpad as an trial run for tablets (which I recommend you should do if you got the $100 to spare). For a $100 if I didn't use it and it collected dust then oh well. But it was money well spent, it get's used often, and I now know that I will be getting another tablet in the future (next time with Android so I can use the full force of their market and the apps I have already purchased with my phone).
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking to "hate" on any other tech community. I have friends who use all of the different deices (I use Androids and Blackberries too).
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarion View Post
    EBay or Craigslist or even Amazon is better than spending your money at Best Buy
    I'm not a box store fan, but why hate on Best Buy? They had nothing to do with the demise of the Touchapad or the problems at HP. They are no more 'greasier" than any other big vendor.

Have you had a bad experience with them?
    I would buy it, even if you don't want it. You can always sell it on eBay for a $100 profit. Not getting the TP is like not using a $100 mail-in rebate for the computer you buy.

If you decide you want a tablet, then it is a good one. Even if you decide you don't want webOS, then put CM7 Android on it. You will still have a better tablet than anything else out there in that price range.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast