Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By osu9400
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    My wifi TouchPAd was stolen today. Can I track it? I know I can wipe it but I want to track it first.
    I'm not sure if you can track it but this would be a great program that someone should create for the touchpad.
    no GPS
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    It could use wifi and its location to get at least a general Idea of where its at. It seems to be rather accurate. Mine connected to wifi on the maps program shows me at my house when I'm there.
    Yeah but at that point you have to be hoping the thief hasn't wiped the device, it also counts on the WiFi being accurately and correctly cataloged by google maps.

I am not sure how google cataloged the WiFi, but the guess would be SSID which long term is going to be completely inaccurate as you can have multiple instances of the same SSID's or move SSID's etc.

Best bet would be to contact HP, log the serial number as stolen, wipe the device to get rid of all personal info (obviously change all current passwords), then wait for the thief to attempt to activate the device and HP will get a hit on the serial number.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    log into here with your palm profile info go to the touchpad and you can wipe the device right from there.

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I did that earlier, thanks. It's also how I pulled my s/n to give to the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    log into here with your palm profile info go to the touchpad and you can wipe the device right from there.

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    There was a thread a while ago from a guy who had lost his TP. Apparently it was still linked to his profile and when it connected to the internet it would show up somehow. I don't remember all the details, but suffice it to say that he was lucky (depending, as he hasn't gotten it back AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $as$ $there$ $is$ $no$ $official$ $way$ $to$ $track$ $the$ $TouchPad$.
    How was it stolen? From your car? Grab and run?
    Does the thief have to activate it to use it? What if they install android?
    on wednesday we were burgled
    the b*stards smashed a hole in the back door big enough to get a hand through and unlocked it.
    the thieving ****s ransacked the kitchen and went into the downstairs hall where they got my wifes hand bag and my daughters college bag
    they stole money, my daughters touchpad, nintendo ds , a mountain bike from the shed and probably more but luckily the dog barked and they must have run off
    first we knew was coming downstairs at 6am to find back door wide to the wall.
    if you hear of anyone selling an HP touchpad in clydebank area or a apollo creed mountain bike please let us know
    I've phoned hp web butler service this morning
    wasn't much help to be honest
    I know that up to now no one has tried to register the stolen touchpad
    what I would like to know is
    If I remotely wipe the stolen touchpad, is that all ties severed to it or will it remain registered to me.
    I really hate the idea of someone being able to register and update something that we had to save up to buy.
    also is it possible for hp to let me know if someone tries to register it?
    the webos butler service seemed to say that as soon as you remotely erase the information on the touchpad , then they will look on it as a new ownership if someone tries to register it
    surely that cannot be correct
    so I still haven't wiped it yet
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Mine was stolen as well, and my S/N still shows up in my Palm Profile, but would they ever actually notify me if someone else tried to register? I called Support, and the woman I talked to said that HP would give *my* email address to *them* if someone called and asked who the TP belongs to. Which, of course, won't happen. I would not be surprised if my stolen TP is registered to another user right now...
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I recently had my TP stolen out of my car on the 19th but I have been unable to access the web link above. I keep getting an Apache 500 error. does anyone have any alternate links or contact info that I can use to get ahold of HP or see my profile? I had it dual booting with Android and I nad Plan B sent to it but nothing has come back so far. I really want to catch the perp(s) since they hit every car around us as well.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    All,

My TouchPad was stolen from my car today, March 3, 2012, when somone smashed my car window in broad daylight and made off with my briefcase and my camera.

When I went to my login page, mentioned above, and logged in...the TouchPad did now show up! Only my Palm Pre+ phone.

What might be going on here? Can the thief or someone else wiped it, leavin it unreachable?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am not sure how google cataloged the WiFi, but the guess would be SSID which long term is going to be completely inaccurate as you can have multiple instances of the same SSID's or move SSID's etc.
    By MAC address, I think. I bought a wireless router from ebay to have a second AP in my house and changed the SSID to something very unique. Ever after that any device locating me using wifi in my house positioned me as being halfway between where I actually live and where the ebay seller lived - over 200km away.