Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1.    #1  
    Zdnet tech journalist and HP TouchPad journalist J Kendrick abandons TouchPad as his daily tablet (see link below).
    As his was the most consistent voice in the press testifying to the superiority and utility of webOS and publicizing the new apps, this is a major blow to webOS receiving any consistent coverage for the use of new apps and updates. This is significant as his blog widely and consistently testified to webOS as a vibrant multi-use platform.

HP needs to communicate its decision on webOS soon (by the end of Nov) and execute strongly and swiftly.

We hope Jon Rubenstein and Aari Jaaksi are busy making the case for webOS revival. If so, HP please let us know quickly.

ps: However the decision, its logical to expect HP to at least support webOS on tablets thru December next year as HP just shipped out its last bunch of TouchPads and is also allowing BestBuy to sell them in November (HP warranty coverage is about a year).

Requiem for the HP TouchPad: Time to move on | ZDNet
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Zdnet tech journalist and HP TouchPad journalist J Kendrick abandons TouchPad as his daily tablet (see link below).
    As his was the most consistent voice in the press testifying to the superiority and utility of webOS and publicizing the new apps, this is a major blow to webOS receiving any consistent coverage for the use of new apps and updates. This is significant as his blog widely and consistently testified to webOS as a vibrant multi-use platform.

HP needs to communicate its decision on webOS soon (by the end of Nov) and execute strongly and swiftly.

We hope Jon Rubenstein and Aari Jaaksi are busy making the case for webOS revival. If so, HP please let us know quickly.

ps: However the decision, its logical to expect HP to at least support webOS on tablets thru December next year as HP just shipped out its last bunch of TouchPads and is also allowing BestBuy to sell them in November (HP warranty coverage is about a year).

sad news indeed. i hope webos will get its needed support soon. the psg decision is done, i hope good news for webos will be next.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    What a strange article.

"I bought a tablet, and i really like it, and it hasn't stopped being a good fit for my needs since its discontinuation, but i've picked this arbitary point in time to ditch it"...?

*shrug*
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    What a strange article.

"I bought a tablet, and i really like it, and it hasn't stopped being a good fit for my needs since its discontinuation, but i've picked this arbitary point in time to ditch it"...?

*shrug*
    He's a tech journalist so he needs to be relevant. The rest of us users just need to be functional. Still we are losing an enthusiastic voice in the press to counteract all the jackals who run with the latest ( as yet unproven) rumor about webOS demise.

HP needs to communicate their decision quickly.
    Not surprising IMO. Technologies come and go (I am sure at one point people who were sure Betamax was the be-all, end-all in video felt shocked when Sony switched formats).

Seriously... this is a journalist who is looked to for being on top of the latest and best and while we may all agree that our TouchPads do things well and even better than other tablets it would be hard for us to recommend people make significant investment in a platform whose future is at best very uncertain.

Please note, I am not criticizing TouchPads, webOS, or anyone that likes the platform, *I* like the platform, despite its few quirks. But... if my daughters had $250 saved up for a tablet, I would have to be honest and suggest they save a bit more and look at alternatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrusuelas View Post
    But... if my daughters had $250 saved up for a tablet, I would have to be honest and suggest they save a bit more and look at alternatives.
    My daughter's kids(stepchildren, not related to me by blood) boguht a 16GB iPad 2 off eBay a couple of months ago. It was a used unit sold by a merchant with 50,000+ feedbacks. The final price was $301 plus $17 shipping. The seller clearly stated and showed large photos of a couple of 1" scratches on the back of the iPad 2. Not really a problem, since the kids intended to put the iPad 2 in a case. The two kids shared the iPad 2 and each came up with half of the $301.

They recently experienced a problem with the home button because it only responds to presses 1 out of 3 times. They contacted the seller who offered to exchange it for another similar used iPad 2 at no cost.(pretty generous, considering 2 months have passed since purchase) When they told me about this, I offered to take it to the Apple Store to see if anything can be done before they let the eBay seller exchane it. They shipped the iPad 2 me because there's a Apple Store in the mall next to my office.

During lunch, I walked in with the iPad 2 and informed them of the problem. Apparently it was necessary to have an appointment with a "Genius"(tech guy) at the Apple Store. They looked in the system and asked me to come back at 4pm.

A little after 4pm, I went back. The "Genius" took a look at the iPad 2 and determined that the home button was faulty. He went to the back and came back 10 minutes later with a brown box. I figured he was going to have it shipped back to Apple for repairs or something. To my surprise, he opened the box and there was a new iPad 2 16GB inside. He said it would be an instant exchange, but the only catch was that the new one would be whilte. I called the kids and asked them if it was okay with them... They were more than happy about it! I took the iPad 2 home and played with it to make sure it was functioning properly. The next morning, I shipped it back to my daughter's. The kids called me two days later when they received it.

Why am I sharing this story? As much as I'm put off by Apple's closed eco-system and high prices, I am quite impressed by how well they treat their customers. Especially when the customer is experiencing difficulties with the hardware. There was no fuss when I told them that I didn't have a receipt, since the iPad 2 was from eBay.

Too bad I can't say the same about HP's tech support....
  7.    #7  
    Another zdnet blogger is reporting ubuntu is coming to tablets and mentions ARM as well.
    Timeframe for full readiness is 2014 but blogger thinks we will get some version already in second half of next year. This could be my next platform of the TouchPad hardware.

Ubuntu Linux heads to smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs. | ZDNet
    my thinking is this is hp is probably trying put the decision off until a few months after windows 8 is comes out. That way webOS continues to stagnate and loose interest from users, devs, etc in the meantime. Also giving time for windows 8 to gain support and popularity. That way it makes it easier for then to announce they are killing off WebOS in favor of a more widely supported platform in windows with a backup of Android if that doesn't work out for tablets and smartphones.

also the longer they put if off the more time they have to work on developing new windows hardware under the radar.

sadly its looking like the end of the line is coming for Palm/WebOS with in the next year.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The webOS interface is well designed for tablet use, and the hardware is quite good. Then HP pulled the plug on the TouchPad (and all webOS hardware), and the writing was on the wall. The platform has essentially been orphaned by HP, and it is time to move on.

HP is still supporting the TouchPad and webOS, but with key employees leaving the company that is not likely to continue much longer. The staff working on webOS for HP must be constantly looking over their shoulders for the word to shut it down. As a customer, that’s not where I want my device to be in the system. Killed, pushed to the side, and waiting for complete shut-down.

I still find the TouchPad to be an outstanding tablet, better than Android slates for my needs. It is with conflicted emotions that I realize it is time to move on, but I see no purpose served by using a canceled device as my main tablet. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    My daughter's kids(stepchildren, not related to me by blood) boguht a 16GB iPad 2 off eBay a couple of months ago. It was a used unit sold by a merchant with 50,000+ feedbacks. The final price was $301 plus $17 shipping. The seller clearly stated and showed large photos of a couple of 1" scratches on the back of the iPad 2. Not really a problem, since the kids intended to put the iPad 2 in a case. The two kids shared the iPad 2 and each came up with half of the $301.

They recently experienced a problem with the home button because it only responds to presses 1 out of 3 times...
    During lunch, I walked in with the iPad 2 and informed them of the problem. Apparently it was necessary to have an appointment with a "Genius"(tech guy) at the Apple Store. They looked in the system and asked me to come back at 4pm.

A little after 4pm, I went back. The "Genius" took a look at the iPad 2 and determined that the home button was faulty. He went to the back and came back 10 minutes later with a brown box. I figured he was going to have it shipped back to Apple for repairs or something. To my surprise, he opened the box and there was a new iPad 2 16GB inside. He said it would be an instant exchange, but the only catch was that the new one would be whilte. I called the kids and asked them if it was okay with them... They were more than happy about it! I took the iPad 2 home and played with it to make sure it was functioning properly. The next morning, I shipped it back to my daughter's. The kids called me two days later when they received it.

Why am I sharing this story? As much as I'm put off by Apple's closed eco-system and high prices, I am quite impressed by how well they treat their customers. Especially when the customer is experiencing difficulties with the hardware. There was no fuss when I told them that I didn't have a receipt, since the iPad 2 was from eBay.

Too bad I can't say the same about HP's tech support....
    Cool story. Yes, Apple did the same with my macbook but only after I did without it for a week and still had Applecare. HP tech support did poorly by me until I reached some guy in the U.S. who was absolutely fabulous, stayed with me for 2 weeks on numerous troubleshooting occasions until he asked for a log which finally triggered the TouchPad wiping itself and getting rid of the offending problem and then finally re-installing correctly. Couldn't be happier to have my TouchPad back and fine. HP under Meg will need to re-engineer customer support if they want webOS for consumers--this is why I think this is a doubtful path they will follow but on the other hand, who knows?
  11.    #11  
    Already posted in this thread below I hope we don't get 12 threads with the same story:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...kly-webos.html
    <thread merged>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I appreciated Kendrick's positive attitude towards the TouchPad, but he likely knows that there won't be much to report on this topic.

A short product life-cycle was one of the things that made the TouchPad story compelling.
    Last edited by dna550; 11/02/2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Moderator didn't want a TouchPad versus iPad post in this thread
    Please try and keep this on topic, if this turns into an iPad v TP discussion it will be moved.

Sad to see Kendrick moving on, I have been following him on twitter for a while now and will continue to do so. I like that he writes to his uses and not to a platform.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    bevcraw likes this.
    That article is stupid. I have WinXP on a laptop and when have I ever called tech support? Never. If it breaks is HP going to repair it? Probably not. When have I ever sent something back to get repaired. Never. I could see not using it anymore because even with patches the keyboard has a hard time keeping up.

What he really means is he can't get anymore hype for his own agenda by using it anymore.

How many gimicky apps do you need? All I want/need now is a nice 3D chess program and blackjack and I will keep my $150 beauty tell she dies.
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    I'm staying with the TouchPad until servers are turned off, if that ends up happening. I can see why a tech journalist would move on, though. Like it's been said in this thread, he has to stay current and the TouchPad is drifting out to sea. I'm just glad all of us on this site are still here.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    People move on from things for two reasons....

1- Need something better

2- Want attention

Seems like Kendrick is doing a number 2........
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  18.    #18  
    Is this a possible "holistic" solution--ie webOS somehow is the controller for a bunch of low energy ARM servers in a massive datacenter?

Hewlett-Packard Shows Energy-Sipping Servers Sporting ARM Chips - Bloomberg
    As much as I love my Touchpad, I don't see anything
    wrong with a magazine editor wanting to move on to
    some other device with a future.

The Touchpad will be a great tool for what it is for
    people who bought it. At least
    for the next year or two. Something newer/better/
    faster/cheaper/sexier will come out and unfortunately,
    it most likely will not be a successor to the Touchpad.

There really is no need for us to devote our time to
    debate why someone(HP corporateion or a magazine
    editor) abandoned the Touchpad. That's almost like
    debating why milllions of voters cast their votes for
    the Palin/McCain ticket during the last election.

If Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II announces that
    she and the entire British royal ramily are die-hard
    Touchpad users, will that change HP's mind and bring
    webOS and Touchpads back to production? The answer
    is maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    What a strange article.

*shrug*
    My feelings exactly. For me, webOS dies when my webOS devices die, and not before, unless some app(s) come along that are absolutely so compelling that I'm willing to dump the webOS user experience to get them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast