Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    My daughter's kids(stepchildren, not related to me by blood) boguht a 16GB iPad 2 off eBay a couple of months ago. It was a used unit sold by a merchant with 50,000+ feedbacks. The final price was $301 plus $17 shipping. The seller clearly stated and showed large photos of a couple of 1" scratches on the back of the iPad 2. Not really a problem, since the kids intended to put the iPad 2 in a case. The two kids shared the iPad 2 and each came up with half of the $301.

They recently experienced a problem with the home button because it only responds to presses 1 out of 3 times. They contacted the seller who offered to exchange it for another similar used iPad 2 at no cost.(pretty generous, considering 2 months have passed since purchase) When they told me about this, I offered to take it to the Apple Store to see if anything can be done before they let the eBay seller exchane it. They shipped the iPad 2 me because there's a Apple Store in the mall next to my office.

During lunch, I walked in with the iPad 2 and informed them of the problem. Apparently it was necessary to have an appointment with a "Genius"(tech guy) at the Apple Store. They looked in the system and asked me to come back at 4pm.

A little after 4pm, I went back. The "Genius" took a look at the iPad 2 and determined that the home button was faulty. He went to the back and came back 10 minutes later with a brown box. I figured he was going to have it shipped back to Apple for repairs or something. To my surprise, he opened the box and there was a new iPad 2 16GB inside. He said it would be an instant exchange, but the only catch was that the new one would be whilte. I called the kids and asked them if it was okay with them... They were more than happy about it! I took the iPad 2 home and played with it to make sure it was functioning properly. The next morning, I shipped it back to my daughter's. The kids called me two days later when they received it.

Why am I sharing this story? As much as I'm put off by Apple's closed eco-system and high prices, I am quite impressed by how well they treat their customers. Especially when the customer is experiencing difficulties with the hardware. There was no fuss when I told them that I didn't have a receipt, since the iPad 2 was from eBay.

Too bad I can't say the same about HP's tech support....
    I had the exact same experience with my iphone 4. No questions asked. Brand new iphone 4. Try that with HP or any other company. There's a very good chance it won't be so easy. Whether you like Apple or not, their customer service is top notch.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I had the exact same experience with my iphone 4. No questions asked. Brand new iphone 4. Try that with HP or any other company. There's a very good chance it won't be so easy. Whether you like Apple or not, their customer service is top notch.
    i have bought several hp computers. roughly 3 years ago i bought a new hp laptop. I barely used it for nearly one year. Then it became my primary laptop. I primarily used an external monitor too. But even after barely using the lcd, Last year the lcd screen died. Out of warranty I had to replace it myself. Then, the laptop battery stopped holding a charge only storing 35% of capacity. Again barely 2 years old and at that time with only a year of real use. But the big thing was earlier this year a graphics chip on the motherboard was failed. i get no picture. it runs but no picture even on a monitor. HP determined it to be defective and recalled them but refused to accept my model number because my laptop broke after their arbitrary date. HP refused to replace the defective board. It is now a paperweight. works fine. Just no picture. I decided no more HP anything for me. I don't like HP.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 11/01/2011 at 10:52 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Is this a possible "holistic" solution--ie webOS somehow is the controller for a bunch of low energy ARM servers in a massive datacenter?

Hewlett-Packard Shows Energy-Sipping Servers Sporting ARM Chips - Bloomberg
    I saw that piece of news and can't help thinking this is another example of foot shooting by HP. The Arm processor has power advantages but given that they have less computing power and a lot of current software won't run on ARM the cost to potential buyers is likely to outweigh the benefits.
    Why do people insist on attaching webOS to everything that HP does?

If you're familiar with that particular industry segment at all, you'd quickly realize that a simple read-though of the vendor/partner list for these servers (RedHat, Canonical, etc) clearly indicates webOS has nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    What a strange article.

"I bought a tablet, and i really like it, and it hasn't stopped being a good fit for my needs since its discontinuation, but i've picked this arbitary point in time to ditch it"...?

*shrug*
    I'm selling my Touchpad, case and dock. I really love the OS - but when my work switched to PEAP and the tablet didn't have an internet connection for two weeks, it kind of took the shine off.

The Touchpad is a great device. WebOS is awesome (the 3.0.4 update is fantastic) but my company is developing for iOS and I'm switching to an iPhone.. (also love my sprint frankenPre2... i'm so sad..)

(and I love all of you PC'ers - what a fantastic bunch of folks..)
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
    Some functions of the TouchPad will go on till it physically dies. But I wouldn't be starting to use it for some new record keeping purpose or similar as the records might not be able to be ported to android or iOS in the future. You can't use it for an ongoing, mission-critical purpose which depends on the TP being available indefinitely.

But for posting here it will hopefully carry on for years!
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Maybe because HP is attaching it to nothing?
    Everything and Nothing too.

"I just don't know what to do with my time
    Ever since we broke up, I swear I'll lose my mind
    I thought your love was true
    I thought I would always be with you, but I was wrong
    And now I feel I can't go on

You gave me everything and nothing too.
    All my friends say I'm a fool for you.
    I don't know if that's true.
    All I know is you gave me
    everything and nothing too."

--Amy Allison
  8.    #48  
    Seems to be the day for the press to jump on HP about the TouchPad:

Kendrick is back, basically crying that HP decided in Feb 2011 already to doom webOS by not giving it the right support, here's the conclusion below. You can see he has some mourning to go on webOS.

Meanwhile, we go from almost crying to almost laughing as The Verge has got a few articles on HP's TouchPad timeline and the refreshed Win7 slate, I'm imagining that they are barely restraining themselves from laughing, but that could be my imagination. (warning: don't visit the site with your TouchPad unless you like ribbon vertigo.)

"In hindsight it almost seems that HP decided right after the big February press event that it didnít want to play in the cut-throat mobile space. I picture an executive meeting where everyone asked what they should do with this unseemingly webOS stuff? I imagine a vote was taken where the result was HP would just throw the TouchPad up against the wall and see if it stuck. With no backing, it didnít, and HP closed the doors on one of the most innovative mobile products to come along in years. Since the iPad, anyway."

How HP doomed the TouchPad to failure | ZDNet
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    probably because most people don't really know that much about HP or what most of it's departments do or what percentage of the business they account for.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  10.    #50  
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I unsubscribed from his blog. Now I have no reason to visit zdnet.
    That's sad to hear, especially having beta tested your app and given you lots of good advice on it. Very visibly promoted it too.

Oh well.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't agree with your point. I don't think James Kendrick is in this for the hype or he would have been writing about using the iPad all this time. I love my TouchPad and webOS but I understand his frustration. HP has not given any indication at the top that the platform has a solid future. They are so dysfunctional right now when it comes to webOS that I have lost all trust in them not just as the OS owner but as a company.

Now, after they complain that their PC business is a low profit margin business, they bring it back. Yet their webOS tablet/phone business (which they stand to gain all of the profits from) has a questionable future? To make matters worse they are betting their tablet future on Windows 8 so they can be just another windows hardware maker like they are now with PCs. Isn't that yet another low profit margin business model? HP wants to continue being under Microsoft's foot smelling their nasty bug and virus ridden funk while the rest of the world passing them on because it is the easy thing to do. They have an excellent chance to be great (like Apple) but of course they are going to squander it because they are afraid of themselves.
    Possibly it would make sense to write about the ipad but how techy is that to be writing about the same mainstream device. Kind of like a car enthusiast magazine writing about a Honda Accord--everyone knows they are reliable and a great value but who needs to read about it in a car enthusiast magazine? Does anyone out there need to read about how good an ipad is? I bet this tech writer migrates to something else--you watch.
    Last edited by Dsol; 11/07/2011 at 09:34 AM.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Possibly it would make sense to write about the ipad but how techy is that to be writing about the same mainstream device. Kind of like a car enthusiast magazine writing about a Honda Accord--everyone knows they are reliable and a great value but who needs to read about it in a car enthusiast magazine? Does anyone out there need to read about how good an ipad is? I bet this tech writer migrates to something else--you watch.
    Of course I would expect this. Its their job to inform me of the latest and greatest. Still this was a personal choice (Kendrick disclosed he spent his own money at pre fire-sale prices) and he believed it was a good choice and was passionate about it, thats why he wrote about it in his blog and only abandoned it when he believed HP would not support it any more, he did not abandon it beforehand even though its sales and app trajectory was not as high as the ipad.

I bet you also some of those other journalists who publicly dismissed it because of those reasons are secretly enjoying their firesale TouchPads right now, even more than their ipads and androids, because of the jailbreak and flash capabilities and ease of multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    That's sad to hear, especially having beta tested your app and given you lots of good advice on it. Very visibly promoted it too.

Oh well.
    James, I don't read your blogs (didn't know who you were until I saw this thread--sorry but at least I do now so that is good), but what is your primary tablet now?

I think the TP is great but hate the half baked updates they seem to release that break functionality and worse that HP, doesn't formally acknowledge the mistake and/or quickly fix it. Quite frankly, if I was in your shoes I would move away from the TP as going forward I feel everyday will be a struggle to maintain functionality as more and more software loses support and patches that I really like stop getting updates. Eventually, Jason Robitaille and Rod Whitby (and a handful of others I guess) are single handedly going to be supporting webOS. And their great minds will eventually move on to where they can have a greater impact in this space.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post

Oh well.
    Please don't take it personally. I'm just not interested in mobile news in general. You abandoning the Touchpad means no more webOS coverage.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    James, I don't read your blogs (didn't know who you were until I saw this thread--sorry but at least I do now so that is good), but what is your primary tablet now?

I think the TP is great but hate the half baked updates they seem to release that break functionality and worse that HP, doesn't formally acknowledge the mistake and/or quickly fix it. Quite frankly, if I was in your shoes I would move away from the TP as going forward I feel everyday will be a struggle to maintain functionality as more and more software loses support and patches that I really like stop getting updates. Eventually, Jason Robitaille and Rod Whitby (and a handful of others I guess) are single handedly going to be supporting webOS. And their great minds will eventually move on to where they can have a greater impact in this space.
    I own the Galaxy Tab 10.1, original Galaxy Tab, iPad 2, TouchPad and the PlayBook. I am using the iPad 2 more than the others daily, mainly due to choice of apps.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123