Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HardBeatZ
  • 1 Post By mnm1200
  1.    #1  
    First, let me say that HP Customer Service has been courteous and very good at getting the repairs expedited. Eack took about 10 days (weekends included).

The repairs, however, are getting frustrating.

I sent mine in for a cracked case by the speakers (asked for same unit back as I don't like refurbs). I got my same unit back but it had a large dark spot in the center of the screen (image attached). It looked like liquid under the screen as it would move around a bit as I touched it.

When turned on, the screen worked fine. There was a slight yellowing on a white background where the spot was. I waited a few days to see if maybe it was screen cleaning fluid and would evaporate.

The spot remained so I sent it back and included a note saying it came back from repair with this spot and also included a photo of the spot (attached here). I again asked for the same unit back.

Today I got it back again and the spot is STILL THERE! It is smaller now but remains. It still moves around and gets slightly smaller or larger when I touch it.

All I can imagine is that it is not this way when they send it out. Maybe the unit flexes after reassembly so that the screen meets up with the glass in the middle. But what is the liquid? Or is that just what it appears to be?

I guess I am going to just have to ask for a refurb or make some type of new note explaining that now I have sent it 2 times for the spot and to please make sure it does not return with the spot again.

Anyone have any ideas what this is? It is obviously not supposed to be there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looks like an ink blotch which is likely due to the liquid crystal leaking. This usually occurs because of small crack on it that caused the leak.

It may have been something set on top of the tablet, and the weight caused small cracks to form, and then when the crystal was heated up and expanded, it expanded into those cracks, forcing them open wider and wider, until they finally gave way.

Did you happen to notice if the box you received back from the repair facility exhibited any damage?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Racer-X likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Looks like an ink blotch which is likely due to the liquid crystal leaking. This usually occurs because of small crack on it that caused the leak.

It may have been something set on top of the tablet, and the weight caused small cracks to form, and then when the crystal was heated up and expanded, it expanded into those cracks, forcing them open wider and wider, until they finally gave way.

Did you happen to notice if the box you received back from the repair facility exhibited any damage?
    UPDATE: It's about 50 degrees here and after a few hours, the spot is GONE. Even if I push on the center of the screen it does not come back. No idea what the heck it was but it's gone now.

Will update if LCD is wonky or if it comes back. Hopefully not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    UPDATE: It's about 50 degrees here and after a few hours, the spot is GONE. Even if I push on the center of the screen it does not come back. No idea what the heck it was but it's gone now.

Will update if LCD is wonky or if it comes back. Hopefully not.
    Good to hear, keep us posted!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

I was so happy that the spot was gone, I did not read your post thoroughly.

The box it came in was in perfect shape, both times.

If the spot is gone now and the screen looks and works fine, could there still be cracks or something wrong with the screen or unit?

It does seem odd that it would just go away.

If the LCD was leaking, then I would assume that the screen colors would be messed up.
    Last edited by Racer-X; 11/01/2011 at 11:01 PM.
    I remember another post about this semi-recently. I forget what he did but the screen had the same blotch (its from the glass touching the screen underneath). He was able to get rid of the spot with heat/cold/torsion or something and for some reason I remember he heard a loud pop when it let go.

I think the general consensus was that it happens because of the way they set the screen when mfr. and that it probably wouldn't come back.
    Racer-X likes this.
    Mines doing the same thing once and a while.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    sometimes spots appear when the tp get hit with xrays when it goes through airport security. not sure if this is related to your spot or not.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm1200 View Post
    I remember another post about this semi-recently. I forget what he did but the screen had the same blotch (its from the glass touching the screen underneath). He was able to get rid of the spot with heat/cold/torsion or something and for some reason I remember he heard a loud pop when it let go.

I think the general consensus was that it happens because of the way they set the screen when mfr. and that it probably wouldn't come back.
    Ah, now this makes sense. Thanks. I tend to agree that this is the screen touching the LCD. When the two get stuck together you get the dark/wet looking spot. LCD screens will create that liquid-like blotch when pushed on.

After the spot was gone, I pushed on the center more firmly than I would in normal use and it did not come back so I hope it's gone for good. Still have 9 months of warranty so we will see.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    Mines doing the same thing once and a while.
    Once in a while?

You are getting the black blotch in the middle of the screen once in a while?

Does it 'pop' when it goes away?
    Last edited by Racer-X; 11/01/2011 at 11:08 PM.