Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Any way to get facebook chat on the tp?
    Go to facebook on your browser and you will have chat and much more.
    Last edited by 2wings; 10/30/2011 at 07:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wings View Post
    Go to facebook on your browser and you will have chat and much more.
    Sure I can do that but thats not what I want.. I want to either have a facebook CHAT app or a way to use the regular chat program on the TP and add facebook chat..
    agile. But its made for the phone screen
    You can now use mundo IM on the TP, or use the shortcut launcher App and make website shortcuts for either the AIM express or ebuddy websites :-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Facebook is opening up new changes to their APIs (which is what the WebOS Facebook app uses to connect to your user data). I'm pretty sure their recent F8 conference was meant to get the info out to the major-player devs. It's been in beta for long time, but appears ready for rollout. I've played with it and they work. Now, if I was a WebOS programmer, I'd have an app out by now with money in the bank due to the requests for this.

Back on topic:
    Part of those changes are "tags" which identify the new unified inbox data (how your chats and messages both show up in your inbox as a single thread on the FB site). It *will soon* be possible for the app devs to implement those tags and add a new "chat" box for only those messages. In fact, your inbox and chat only require one user API pull, and the app could then separate into different buckets/displays based on that tag.

Hm...time to break out some Enyo and node.jsjsjs $programming$ $books$ $and$ $see$ $if$ $I$ $can$ $beat$ '$em$ $to$ $the$ $punch$?

But yeah, doable in the near future, we'll see if the devs implement it.
    Normally i use imo.im ......

Palm Pre- Unlocked O2 Germany
    Palm Pre 2 Unlocked UK
    HP Pre 3 Unlocked Fr
    HP TouchPad 16Gb WiFi US
    Quote Originally Posted by auTONYmous View Post
    Now, if I was a WebOS programmer, I'd have an app out by now with money in the bank due to the requests for it. Time to break out some Enyo and node.jsjsjs $programming$ $books$ $and$ $see$ $if$ $I$ $can$ $beat$ '$em$ $to$ $the$ $punch$?

But yeah, doable in the near future, we'll see if the devs implement it.
    I think a lot of people are looking for it to be integrated into the default chat client. Problem is it uses synergy and has absolutely zero documentation from palm on how to hook into chat with synergy. Reason no one has been able to figure it out yet.

it would indeed be pretty easy otherwise to make a seperate simple stand alone facebook only chat. Heck you could even due it by using the jabber(xmpp) protocol which is widely documentated in lots of programing languages
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 10/31/2011 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leobloom View Post
    You can now use mundo IM on the TP, or use the shortcut launcher App and make website shortcuts for either the AIM express or ebuddy websites :-)

But does Mundo take full screen on the TP or does it come up in a phone-card?
    It comes up as a card, I still find its useable although all the facebook chat options suck for webOS :-(

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leobloom View Post
    It comes up as a card, I still find its useable although all the facebook chat options suck for webOS :-(

I think people forget how buggy facebook chat is on a COMPUTER let alone a touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    I think a lot of people are looking for it to be integrated into the default chat client. Problem is it uses synergy and has absolutely zero documentation from palm on how to hook into chat with synergy. Reason no one has been able to figure it out yet.

it would indeed be pretty easy otherwise to make a seperate simple stand alone facebook only chat. Heck you could even due it by using the jabber(xmpp) protocol which is widely documentated in lots of programing languages
    Three links (again, if I was actually a programmer, specifically working on the FB app, I'm sure I'd know about these pages already):

Developing Synergy Connectors - shows using the Contacts app as an example.
    Messaging Application API - details about the Messaging app (where Chat would live)
    Facebook Chat API - self-explanatory.

I don't buy that "nobody has the info" to make it work, it seems to me we're all waiting on the HP for WebOS devs to incorporate it, which is fine. What I'd prefer to see is an offical WebOS bugzilla where bug reports/feature requests should go.
    the problem is synergy and particularly messaging is such a confusing mess its very hard to work with. Not having solid documentation doesn't help either. Devs and even people who work inside Palm/HP itself have admittedly told me that when I was looking into it myself.

Good find on the Messaging Application API though. However its still limited to "yahoo", "gmail", and "aol" protocols.

Also not sure if you know this the Messaging Application itself is a frontend to an implementation of libpurple(WhatIsLibpurple). It's likely they are using very dated version of libpurple as well and may also possibly have been customized/striped down to only allow those same three protocols whereas libpurple normally supports all chat protocols.

It would be interesting to see if using prpl-facebook or prpl-jabber in the serviceName parameter did anything.

Otherwise you would probably need to know a lot Palms own front end code or figure out how to reverse engineer it in order to add a synergy connector for another protocol such facebook into the Messaging App. Then you would hit another roadblock if libpurple turns out to in fact be stripped down as well. It would be much easier to do a separate app.

Not sure if digging through imaccountvalidator, imlipurpleservice, imlibpurpletransport, would help figuring out messaging app though?
    its at Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

There's also this which an entire replacement for the Messaging App in the form of a homebrew App package(not working with 3.x).
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...webos-2-x.html
    source here:
    messaging-plugins - Messaging Plugins

I've looked into both of those myself and still couldn't figure it out.

Also I agree we need an official WebOS Bugzilla for Bug Reports/Feature Requests. Not sure we will ever see that with the current state WebOS is in though
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 11/03/2011 at 09:06 PM.