Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I didn't put this in the battery or screen threads as it kind of is both and neither at the same time...

I have two 16 gb tps in front of me (long story) and they are wildldy different...

The first one "broke" someone early one and wouldn't charge or turn on for weeks (I suspect low voltage protection didn't kick in)... now it suddenly does work again however in a inferior way.

It has the dim/yellow screen (not something I noticed originally but something I definitely notice now)

It has a 5600 mah battery (that despite saying 5600 mah available in Dr Battery only chargtes to about 5400 mah)

It seems to drain the battery FAST - even in sleep mode with wifi off I loose about 1% per hour - during regular use (doesn't seem to matter if web browsing, game playing or video playing) drains about 15% per hour.

The other is the replacement HP shipped out while this one was still "broken" and it has a strong yellow tinge comging from the bottom right corner.

6400 mah battery (currently charging to see how full it really charges to)

Brighter white screen

Seems to be physically lighter also (!?)

This is the big kicker - looses literally <1% battery over 24 hours of being asleep with wifi on...

I am just starting to test it's battery drain during normal use to see how it drains during normal use.

I have to return one to HP question is which... having read all the info on batteries and screens I can to try and make the right decicsion it seems I am stuck in the middle here...

I know it's personal preference but any suggestions on which you would think is the better one to risk sticking with?

EDIT there is always the possibility of getting another replacement from HP but my history with their refurbs makes me not put a lot of faith in the likeliehood I will ever get one that doesn't have a noteable problem with it.
    Last edited by Devedander; 10/30/2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
    I didn't put this in the battery or screen threads as it kind of is both and neither at the same time...

I have two 16 gb tps in front of me (long story) and they are wildldy different...

The first one "broke" someone early one and wouldn't charge or turn on for weeks (I suspect low voltage protection didn't kick in)... now it suddenly does work again however in a inferior way.

It has the dim/yellow screen (not something I noticed originally but something I definitely notice now)

It has a 5600 mah battery (that despite saying 5600 mah available in Dr Battery only chargtes to about 5400 mah)

It seems to drain the battery FAST - even in sleep mode with wifi off I loose about 1% per hour - during regular use (doesn't seem to matter if web browsing, game playing or video playing) drains about 15% per hour.

The other is the replacement HP shipped out while this one was still "broken" and it has a strong yellow tinge comging from the bottom right corner.

6400 mah battery (currently charging to see how full it really charges to)

Brighter white screen

Seems to be physically lighter also (!?)

This is the big kicker - looses literally <1% battery over 24 hours of being asleep with wifi on...

I am just starting to test it's battery drain during normal use to see how it drains during normal use.

I have to return one to HP question is which... having read all the info on batteries and screens I can to try and make the right decicsion it seems I am stuck in the middle here...

I know it's personal preference but any suggestions on which you would think is the better one to risk sticking with?

EDIT there is always the possibility of getting another replacement from HP but my history with their refurbs makes me not put a lot of faith in the likeliehood I will ever get one that doesn't have a noteable problem with it.
    Maybe I read this wrong, but wouldn't you keep the one that works with the better screen and battery?

On a side note, you should tighten up your batteries since the charge is loose. :-) jk
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
    Maybe I read this wrong, but wouldn't you keep the one that works with the better screen and battery?

On a side note, you should tighten up your batteries since the charge is loose. :-) jk
    the problem Is the one with better battery and screen has a large yellowish tint from one corner. Bright enough to be visible during normal use and very noticeable during dark use...

so I am stuck between which defect I keep... Force battery or defective screen.

on one side more battery life seems it would be undeniably good but I doubt I will ever really use his more than 5 hours in a day but then that yellow screen thing I might get used to over time... Or it might bother me more...

I guess I am stuck deciding which would be more unpleasant, knowing my battery life is not as good as it could be or dealing with a yellow corner on the screen.

I guess my logic is somewhere hoping that the battery issue is somehow resolvable with a patch or update but the screen appears to be an absolute hardware problem.

I guess its pretty much a first world problem :-(
    Last edited by Devedander; 10/31/2011 at 01:45 PM.