Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By LinuxKoss
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

About a week ago I used the Doctor to update to 3.0.4 (OTA wasn't working), and it took me two tries (see my previous threads).

Now, for the 1st time since then, I want to put my TP back in USB mode and connect it to my desktop for some data transfers / cleanups.

So, got into USB mode just fine, but when I connect it, my Win XP SP3 isn't showing me the directory structure in Explorer. And when I try to Safely Remove Hardware, it shows up as "Palm Novacom (bootie)" and says it cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it?

Can someone help me to know what's going on?

Be kind to this Noob please

-Chris
    Have you tried uninstalling the novacom driver and reinstalling it fresh?
    how are you entering usb mode? Don't use the power/volume combination, that is recovery mode which is different.

also, check the canuck coding forum for an app called universal novacom installer if you need help reinstalling novacom drivers.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    Have you tried uninstalling the novacom driver and reinstalling it fresh?
    I didn't actively install it - did it come along for the ride w/ webOS Doctor?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    how are you entering usb mode? Don't use the power/volume combination, that is recovery mode which is different.

also, check the canuck coding forum for an app called universal novacom installer if you need help reinstalling novacom drivers.
    yes, I used power/volume up. Why does it matter how USB mode is entered?

I just want to xfer files between desktop and TP.

Now that I can't "safely" disconnect, what should be my next step? I could just unplug the USB cable, or terminate the novacom.exe process?

I don't have a need for novacom right now - I just want USB Mass Storage via Explorer.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I don't think that is usb mode.

you want to plug the tp into the PC and have the tp give you a dialog asking if you want usb mode or just charge.

the pc needs to recognize the device and cause it to prompt you.

afaikafaikafaik, $the$ $method$ $you$ $are$ $using$ $is$ $putting$ $it$ $in$ $recovery$ $mode$ $which$ $is$ $specific$ $to$ $running$ $the$ $doctor$.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by touchpad4760 View Post
    yes, I used power/volume up. Why does it matter how USB mode is entered?

I just want to xfer files between desktop and TP.

Now that I can't "safely" disconnect, what should be my next step? I could just unplug the USB cable, or terminate the novacom.exe process?

I don't have a need for novacom right now - I just want USB Mass Storage via Explorer.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Cantaffordit is right, power+vol up is for emergencies only. It is used to reinstall all of webOS.

What you want is the usb mode. Simply plug in the touchpad when it is on like normal. No rebooting needed.

Edit - You will get a popup on the touchpad, tap usb mode.
    Cantaffordit likes this.