Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By everythingsablur
  • 1 Post By xxdigipxx
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I am on 3.0.4. Doctored it twice.

I have a question about using Xterm. When I run Xecutah and select Xterm, the default directory is the root directly. I wanted to change to a different directory.

I typed cd/media to move to the next directory down. According to Internalz Pro one of the next directories down is (media). I got a message that says no directory found.

I am not that familiar with using xterm syntax, but in another forum, this should be correct .

Is it?

I am trying to run mplayer in a command line using xterm and cannot even get there.
    If I ever get to the correct directory, how do I run mplayer in xterm?

I am not familiar with linux comands, but use to do DOS command line.

Thank you for any asistance. Are there any threads for learning commands in xterm?

Steve

Steve
    What does your command line show as current directory? /var/home/root? If so, you aren't in the root directory, you're in the home directory defined by xterm. If you're looking for media:

cd /media

Note the space between cd and /media!! This means go to media which is directly under root (the /). To switch to the true root directory, it's simply "cd /".

For future reference, xterm is a unix command line shell, so pretty much all standard unix command line commands work. Tons of resources for that.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    If you type

ls

and the hit enter, do you see the media folder? If not, you have to change to the correct directory.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    What does your command line show as current directory? /var/home/root? If so, you aren't in the root directory, you're in the home directory defined by xterm. If you're looking for media:

cd /media

Note the space between cd and /media!! This means go to media which is directly under root (the /). To switch to the true root directory, it's simply "cd /".

For future reference, xterm is a unix command line shell, so pretty much all standard unix command line commands work. Tons of resources for that.
    Thanks for the help. i found the correct place after cd /. But one more question. Does xterm scroll? I cannot see the current lines as the keyboard is in the way after a certain amount of lines. `Also can I change multiple directories down(about 4 levels) in one line?

I tried cd /media/apps/usr/palm to go down 4 levels but it does not work.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by dtloggg View Post
    Thanks for the help. i found the correct place after cd /. But one more question. Does xterm scroll?
    Not on the standard Xterm from preware. However, you can do other things, like pipe the output of your command to 'less' or 'more'.

E.g.
    # find /media/cryptos/apps/usr/palm | more

# iwlist scanning | more

note: if you didn't know... don't type the '#' it is already there.

I cannot see the current lines as the keyboard is in the way after a certain amount of lines.
    Change the keyboard to use XS keysize. When you start Xecutah it tells you to use the Tweaks application to change the keyboard size. You can also Press-and-hold on the keyboard key to select the keyboard size.

Also can I change multiple directories down(about 4 levels) in one line?

I tried cd /media/apps/usr/palm to go down 4 levels but it does not work.
    You can go down multiple directory levels.

e.g. # cd ../..

When you type a path in linux starting with '/ ' that is an absolute path.
    But there is no path /media/apps/usr/palm in webOS.

Try this instead # cd /media/cryptos/apps/usr/palm

One more thing... the shell supports command line completion.

e.g. Type "cd /me" then instead of enter, use the tab key.
    Then you get # cd /media/
    Then type "cd /media/cr" and hit the tab key again.
    Then you get # cd /media/cryptos/

This is a good link if you are new to the command line:
    Basic Linux Use - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by alex80386; 10/29/2011 at 08:50 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    Not on the standard Xterm from preware. However, you can do other things, like pipe the output of your command to 'less' or 'more'.

E.g.
    # find /media/cryptos/apps/usr/palm | more

# iwlist scanning | more

note: if you didn't know... don't type the '#' it is already there.

Change the keyboard to use XS keysize. When you start Xecutah it tells you to use the Tweaks application to change the keyboard size. You can also Press-and-hold on the keyboard key to select the keyboard size.

You can go down multiple directory levels.

e.g. # cd ../..

When you type a path in linux starting with '/ ' that is an absolute path.
    But there is no path /media/apps/usr/palm in webOS.

Try this instead # cd /media/cryptos/apps/usr/palm

One more thing... the shell supports command line completion.

e.g. Type "cd /me" then instead of enter, use the tab key.
    Then you get # cd /media/
    Then type "cd /media/cr" and hit the tab key again.
    Then you get # cd /media/cryptos/

This is a good link if you are new to the command line:
    Basic Linux Use - WebOS Internals
    Thanks for all of the information and link.

steve
    The general *nix commands are the same. If you know linux, you shouldn't have trouble moving around WebOS. By the way, tab completion doesn't work in executah by default, even with an HP Bluetooth keyboard, although now I can use a control key(still no alt key) for nano. I haven't tried installing bash though, and that might add tab completion.

Few things to note for newbies though, all linux commands, file names and directories are case sensitive, all commands require a space after them "cd /" not "cd/". See LinuxCommand.org: Learning the shell. for more help or just google in general. Will save yourself a lot of time to do these on your own first, then come ask questions when you don't understand something.

Most of the file system is Read Only, so you aren't going to make core changes to many things other than media directories you have access to over USB from a PC. You can remount the file system as "rw" though and after a reboot it will revert back to "ro", so if you wanted to say, edit a hosts file, you need to make the system rw first.

mount -o remount,rw /
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxdigipxx View Post
    By the way, tab completion doesn't work in executah by default
    The tab completion worked in webOS 3.0.2 and is working again in 3.0.4 using Xserver 0.9.6 which is still in the beta feeds (probably will be in the main feed soon).
  9.    #9  
    Wanted to ask. How do you make a file to change directories or to run a particuliar sequence of commands?

Is it a text file with the commands in it?

Steve
    How do you make a file to change directories or to run a particuliar sequence of commands?
    Yes, you can do this and this is what is known as a shell script. You can edit these scripts using a text editor and run the script from the command line (or call it from another program or script).

In the Touchpad and most Unix/Linux devices, the default shell is the "Bourne Shell" and this is installed as /bin/sh

The first line of a Bourne Shell script will often be...

#!/bin/sh

Search for "shell script" or "shell programming" and you will find a lot of info/tutorials on the subject.
    Last edited by alex80386; 11/02/2011 at 07:11 AM.