Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    HP's way of thinking seems so backwards. They cancel it, fire sale it, then bundle it. What were they thinking???

The logical thing would have been to lower the price, which they did a week or so before they canceled the TouchPad.

Then if that didn't sell enough units, they should have started bundling them with their PC's, Printers, phones etc. I mean, August was back to school time, instead of announcing that you are canceling webOS hardware, they should have announced back to school bundles for all the students. I'm sure that's the time of the year when most PC's are sold.

Then if that didn't sell enough TouchPads, Black Friday is coming up; they could have dropped the TouchPad to $200 - $250; that seems to be the price everyone is snatching them, up on eBay.

Then if after trying all these different tactics, if you're still disappointed with sales, discontinue the product & fire sale it for $99/$149. Instead they panicked after 49 days... sigh
    well the bundle sale Is best buys doing, not HP. Retailers can do as they like with any stock that they have. I think best buy stinks except I did get my $150 touchpad from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvintoro View Post
    What a deal! And they offer FREE shipping! I wonder who many people will bite at full retail.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    i totally understand what you mean.

However, i've read many posts by many people on precentral claiming the all the touchpad selling was proof that sales would have picked up had they kept touchpads on sale; that the lines for touchpads were NOT about price but rather proof that now there was a ton of demand for touchpads regardless of price. And because of that HP should bring back WebOS tablets and phones because they are sure to sell well.

But now when offered at full price the most devout Palm enthusiasts don't really want to pay full price for the touchpad. And if the most devout webos enthusiast don't want to pay full price for a touchpad I'm not sure the rest of the public would want to buy one at full price either.

To be a viable product it's gotta be able to sell for a profit. You may make more then you can sell thus the entire line may not break even but you can't sell every single one for a loss. So in order to bring back touchpads you'd have to gut it remove some expensive components like the memory and camera and stuff make it a cheaper lower quality devices like a kindle. But if people won't buy touchpads at a profitable price there's not point in making them except to please people not accountable to the board.

Regardless, i get what you mean. But if its viable people will buy it. If not they'll only buy it on sale and it will probably go away for good.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I still went and picked up two cheap HP laptops for my kids today, and picked up two touchpads at the same time. No hassle, no problems, no reason not to do it.
    I wonder if they have any accessories, that's where the real profit is, and I want more touchstones. If anyone happens to be buying a pc and doesn't want the touchpad tho I'd be happy to pay for one

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    ... also, Best Buy is using it as a promotional device. They want to discourage people from buying it without the promotion, but if they do want it without the promotion, then they can make a tidy chunk of profit out of it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Crazyyyyyy look @ all these loyal ppl.. Did hp even do research. I LOVE TO DEATH my vzw pre3

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ... also, Best Buy is using it as a promotional device. They want to discourage people from buying it without the promotion, but if they do want it without the promotion, then they can make a tidy chunk of profit out of it.
    But with a 2nd Gen Core i3 laptop with 6GB RAM, 1TB hard drive for $379, its still cheaper to buy the laptop and get the touchpad on promotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i totally understand what you mean.

However, i've read many posts by many people on precentral claiming the all the touchpad selling was proof that sales would have picked up had they kept touchpads on sale; that the lines for touchpads were NOT about price but rather proof that now there was a ton of demand for touchpads regardless of price. And because of that HP should bring back WebOS tablets and phones because they are sure to sell well.

But now when offered at full price the most devout Palm enthusiasts don't really want to pay full price for the touchpad. And if the most devout webos enthusiast don't want to pay full price for a touchpad I'm not sure the rest of the public would want to buy one at full price either.

To be a viable product it's gotta be able to sell for a profit. You may make more then you can sell thus the entire line may not break even but you can't sell every single one for a loss. So in order to bring back touchpads you'd have to gut it remove some expensive components like the memory and camera and stuff make it a cheaper lower quality devices like a kindle. But if people won't buy touchpads at a profitable price there's not point in making them except to please people not accountable to the board.

Regardless, i get what you mean. But if its viable people will buy it. If not they'll only buy it on sale and it will probably go away for good.
    Sheezz, how about this link - HP - TouchPad Tablet with 32GB Memory - Black - FB359UA#ABA

Sold out for $599. This is the first time I've checked the BB site for this sale, so I don't know when the sold out sign went up. Since you went to all the trouble to post the original link I'm surprised you didn't follow up and report back the status. So I did it for you. Sold out. It was probably that free shipping.
    Here is a message I just recieved from 'MobiCity' Australia, regarding their earlier claim of late August to have definitely secured considerable further stock of Touchpads from HP as a result of their announced 'end of October' final production run.

Despite being on their mailing list, I still had to prompt them for this 'Standard Letter':

~~~

Dear Customer,

As you may already be aware, the HP TouchPads from the final production run that were offered to MobiCity several months ago have failed to materialise. It is understood that this is due to the change in strategy directon and management that has occurred at HP over the past few months. Plus, when combined with an under estimation of the true value of the product and a misunderstanding of the demand that a fire sale would have on a subsequent round of TouchPads, interest went through the roof.

HP has obviously reassessed the situation and decided instead to try and channel some of the hype into sales for their other product lines, as demonstrated by the fact they've given them all to Best Buy to offer to US customers for $150 when purchased in tandem with a HP desktop or notebook. As a result we will not be able to fulfil any of our current orders . We have put together a range of our very best offers for our customers who have placed orders that can no longer be fulfilled, the details of which are contained within this email.

The first option is to swap to an alternate tablet. We've collated a list of the best value tablets that we have been able to source, from the Samsung Galaxy Tab series to the HTC Flyer, Apple iPad and more. Some are free, others available for a small upgrade fee, but all are below our normal, already discounted prices.

The second option avalilable to our HP Touchpad customers is a full refund. All refunds will be processed as soon as possible, however due to the sheer number of TouchPad orders we do not have the resource to have them all actioned immediately as each refund is a time consuming and manual process. We can however commit to having all refunds processed within 7 days of the form submission. A credit memo will be emailed when the refund request is actioned and funds will appear back onto your card generally within 72 hours (subject to your credit card issuers normal processing times).

The third option is the supply of an alternate device, such as the hot new Samsung Galaxy Note Phablet, HTC Sensation XL, and other products on our website not listed on the form. In these instances we will respond with our single best offer (this will always be better than our regular web sale price) available at the time. Only those products available on the website will be able to be sourced. Quotes will only be valid for 7 days and payment of any additional funds will be required prior to shipment.

In order to make your selection, please follow the link below to the submission form. Remember to have your order number with you (check your original order confirmation email) as this will be required for verification purposes. This exclusive offer is available only to customers with an existing HP TouchPad order.

(URL)

From the entire MobiCity team we would like to say thank you for your patience throughout this process and also we look forward to providing you with a special gift after the form submission.

Kind regards,
    MobiCity Team

Kind regards,
    The MobiCity Helpdesk Team.

~~~

It is probably worth noting that 'Harvey Norman' Electronics originally had the exclusive deal to sell HP Touchpads and accessories in Australia and were allocated about 6000 units originally, I believe. These were all sold within hours of the firesale announcement and clearly 'Mobicity' then decided to try to jump on the bandwagon at that point!

So much for that 'theory'!

I wonder what else will now 'fail to materialise'!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/05/2011 at 08:47 AM.
    So the wife went out and got the bundle. She says she spent close to $600 got a laptop and a TouchPad. Not a bad deal. Plus 32 months no interest.

We could only justify it as her computer was laggy and the fan kept staying on getting loud. Had the laptop for 3 years so it is time for a new one.

Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    I bought the HP laptop (g4-1215dx) + Touchpad bundle at Best Buy's website on Tuesday morning, and got my Touchpad and laptop this past Thursday and Friday respectively. Considering I was looking to get a laptop or netbook anyway, I'm pretty happy with my 2 new "toys", and have been playing with both them a good bit the last couple of days. The only thing that irritates me slightly is now Wal-Mart has a similar bundle deal and one of the eligible laptops is a 11.6" netbook computer, which is more in line what I was looking for originally (because I wanted a laptop that is light and portable). At least the laptop I did buy was $100 cheaper, has very similar (actually slightly better) specs, and does have an optical drive (though I would have preferred no optical drive to reduce weight; the netbook computer at Wal-Mart is a little more than 1 pound less in weight than the 14" laptop I did buy).
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    I bought the HP laptop (g4-1215dx) + Touchpad bundle at Best Buy's website on Tuesday morning, and got my Touchpad and laptop this past Thursday and Friday respectively. Considering I was looking to get a laptop or netbook anyway, I'm pretty happy with my 2 new "toys", and have been playing with both them a good bit the last couple of days. The only thing that irritates me slightly is now Wal-Mart has a similar bundle deal and one of the eligible laptops is a 11.6" netbook computer, which is more in line what I was looking for originally (because I wanted a laptop that is light and portable). At least the laptop I did buy was $100 cheaper, has very similar (actually slightly better) specs, and does have an optical drive (though I would have preferred no optical drive to reduce weight; the netbook computer at Wal-Mart is a little more than 1 pound less in weight than the 14" laptop I did buy).
    honestly with the TP, the netbook would be redundant. I haven't touched my netbook since we got the TP, its either full function computer or TP. Netbook screens suck.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    honestly with the TP, the netbook would be redundant. I haven't touched my netbook since we got the TP, its either full function computer or TP. Netbook screens suck.
    I totally disagree about netbooks being redundant if you have a tablet - a netbook is a much better work (i.e. content creation) device than a tablet. (Conversely, one could also argue that tablets are redundant if you have a smartphone.) Really, netbooks and tablets have mostly different functionality strengths and the commonality between them is that both are lightweight and reasonably portable. That's why I think tablet/keyboard combinations (with the tablet being detachable if so desired) that essentially become netbooks with touchscreens and can run full-fledged operating systems (or more accurately, can handle Microsoft Office) are the future in lightweight, portable laptop-like devices - they combine the strengths of tablets with the strengths of netbooks and mitigate the weaknesses of each.

Not coincidentally, if I had been unable to get the HP laptop/Touchpad bundle at a fairly low price, my likely alternate option would have been to buy the ASUS Transformer or the about-to-be-released Transformer Prime with the specially-made keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaPirate View Post
    Sold out for $599. This is the first time I've checked the BB site for this sale, so I don't know when the sold out sign went up.
    Probably about an hour after the firesale started.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12