• 1 Post By joen05
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Well it's nice to dream.....see link.

Take care,

Jay

Reality Bites HP, and Why That Might Revive the HP TouchPad

Reality Bites HP, and Why That Might Revive the HP TouchPad - Forbes

At the time it was announced, I argued that the spin-off of the PC business looked more like a rush to have a credible story for a quarterly investor call than a well thought out strategy. Investors sensed the same thing, and gave HP a $12 billion dollar lesson.

New HP CEO, M
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Evidence the TouchPad isn't 100% dead. Tablet is the device of the future and how can HP not have one to offer?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Evidence the TouchPad isn't 100% dead. Tablet is the device of the future and how can HP not have one to offer?

I agree, but hp hasn't exactly made a lot of sense in their recent decisions. I do hope that they make right decision this time. it's not gonna be easy thing for them to admit that they were wrong about webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post

They will have one to offer:

When asked about the tablet strategy on the analyst call she said that HPís continuing to focus on a Microsoft-based tablet and Windows 8 for that category.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    They will have one to offer:
    I believe windows 8 won't be ready til late next year.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    They do have a tablet: HP Slate 500 Tablet PC - HP Slate 500 Tablet PCs

Of course it is aimed at a different market segment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    They do have a tablet: HP Slate 500 Tablet PC - HP Slate 500 Tablet PCs

Of course it is aimed at a different market segment.
    If they put a better processor into the Slate 500 and slashed it's price to $499 they'd have a semi-competative Windows Tablet product ....

Not that I don't want them to revive WebOS, because of course I do, just saying they do have options ....

gotta love that 8.9" form factor though ...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Hey don't forget they also still have contractual agreements for the TouchPad Go, and the OEMs already have the parts.

Nothing say they can't build those out as an interim product till Windows 8 hits... the development money was already spent.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Hey don't forget they also still have contractual agreements for the TouchPad Go, and the OEMs already have the parts.

Nothing say they can't build those out as an interim product till Windows 8 hits... the development money was already spent.
    If HP were to release the Touchpad Go, at the correct price point, they would have a hit on their hands. Add phones that could touch to share with it, and who knows how big it could get. Like Toni said, the dev work on the hardware is done, make use of it and see where you can take it.

How about this for a package, straight from carriers:

$400/$450 for a Pre3 and (16/32)Touchpad Go, with a $25 app credit (incentive for developers).

Maybe unrealistic at this point. But I would jump on that.
    I could see a dual boot win 8 / webOS tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I could see a dual boot win 8 / webOS tablet.
    I would also be ok with this if that's how they want to keep it alive. But I would like to be able to also eventually get a webOS phone on my carrier again. (Sprint). All speculation and wishful thinking at this point though.
    Vistaus likes this.
    The Touchpad + WebOS at a reasonable price = successful product. Its quite simple. I love my TP but I don't know if I'd pay $500 for it or an iPad. All tablets are so over priced, they cost more than laptops! HP has a great chance to take the new #2 tablet and do something productive.

----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnoman666 View Post
    The Touchpad + WebOS at a reasonable price = successful product. Its quite simple. I love my TP but I don't know if I'd pay $500 for it or an iPad. All tablets are so over priced, they cost more than laptops! HP has a great chance to take the new #2 tablet and do something productive.

Hp hasn't done anything smart in the last few months. So why would they start now.

sent from my thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    Hp hasn't done anything smart in the last few months. So why would they start now.

sent from my thunderbolt
    This, unfortunately, is a good point. But maybe they'll actually shock us this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by safeguard3 View Post
    Whitman emphatically said that they would be doing Windows 8 tablets. I can't imagine them trying to support two different tablet operating systems, especially when they have to foot the bill for maintaining the webOS ecosystem: SDK, App Store, etc. One would have to imagine something pretty tangible that webOS does better than Microsoft's chosen tablet OS. It's not as if Windows 8 is going to look like Windows 7 on a tablet. Whatever it is would have to mean a lot more to the market than it did when the TP first launched.
    While I think Metro is quite nice on a phone, on Windows 8 it just sucks, even on a tablet. webOS is by far better than Windows 8, sure it has some shortcomings, but the strong points of webOS make up for that.
    If HP wants to stay in the tablet hardware market they need something to sell for the next 12 months while MS gets Win 8 ready for the public. The world is not going to wait for either.

IMO HP needs something to sell between now and then. What OS will it use?
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad