Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    OK, so I had this really scary thought/question today while reading the latest WebOS news.

So here is my question:

I was lucky enough to get a Pre 3 and 3 Touchpads during the fire sale. I activated mine (and love it!) and saved the Pre 3 and the other 2 Touchpads completely unopened in their boxes. I am planning to give these as holiday gifts.

I also have read our 'WebOS' emergency plan page in case we have to walk into the void without any HP support at all. At a basic level, I understand that even in the worst case scenario, we'll have to pull our sleeves, do some linux code lines and other tweaks to keep on truckin' on our active phones and TPs.

BUT... Should I open the TPs and Pre3 now, activate them, run the latest update, even download some of the Free apps etc... while HP is maintaining the Synergy servers, etc...?? To make sure they get activated and have a profile in case of total shutdown? or would we still be able to 'activate' devices and access preware to load apps?

The emergency plan doesn't address whether the app store can also be 'independently' maintained post WebOS shutdown.... I assume keeping what you have is doable, but what about new device activation/app store? Will Preware and the wonderful Internalz team and Jason be absorbing the current app store in Preware?

So, for those who know, what say you? Assuming Im planning to give these away in Xmas and Feb 2012, should I get them our of the box, and activate them now? or should I wait. I don't want to give an 'opened' TP if I don't have to, but that's a minor consideration vs. how new devices can (or cannot) be activated post shutdown.

I also want to know. I was planning to buy another TP and a Verizon Pre3, but I don't want to do it if the post-WebOS-apocalypse plan doesn't include activation/synergy/app store.
    Don't run for shelter yet, chicken little... the sky isn't falling. All we have right now are rumors. It won't matter if you activate now or later. You've still got a couple of months before HP even officially says anything about the state of webOS.
    Agree with the "calm down" perspective. HP is still selling factory warranted devices with 1 year warranties so webOS can't lose support for at least that long. Even HP, as stupid as they have been can't shut down the servers until warranty period is up and likely longer.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I would do it to just verify they are functional and there are no warranty concerns. You don't know what the replacement inventory is and the clock started on the warranty the day they were purchased.
    They can't just shut it down without warning, they sold you a product that RELIES on some services they provide. If they did just pull the plug, I'm pretty sure they are opening the door for some legal action. (I don't know much about this type of law.)
    I'd also point the OP over to this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...ting-down.html
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Don't run for shelter yet, chicken little... the sky isn't falling. All we have right now are rumors. It won't matter if you activate now or later. You've still got a couple of months before HP even officially says anything about the state of webOS.
    Thanks. Good to know, even though the answer is not completely comforting. A 'couple of months' is barely the time I have to give these Tablets away.

The existence of a 'warranty' doesn't really address too much. i can see an awful scenario where the warranty is honored by giving you some store credit back or even a (gasp) Windows Tablet.

Yeah, I know we will get advance notice in case of a shutdown. I just want to know if post-shutdown new devices can be activated. If HP decides to shut down everything to claim it as a taxable-loss for 2011 not sure what happens to new devices and the app store. I love my TPs and Pre, I want to keep them going with tweaks and hacks and whatever it takes, but also don't want to commit another $500 in WebOS hardware this season if the post-WebOS-apocalypse is harder than I think.
    @ciscokidinsf... read the link i posted above. The rumor is just that... a rumor (and pretty baseless).
    Proof directly from HP that the rumor is junk:

http://www.precentral.net/todd-bradl...ed-rumor-video
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Proof directly from HP that the rumor is junk:

http://www.precentral.net/todd-bradl...ed-rumor-video

While watching that video, all I could think of was "If I meet this guy at the local used car dealership, will I buy used cars from him?"

Potential buyers of the webOS are probably thinking something similar. (i.e. if webOS is as great as HP claims, why doesn't HP just keep it?)
    Yes, and everybody knows that HP execs always tell the whole story all the time.
    I really got a big lol out of this post. I wonder how this dude would react if there was a REAL emergency. This has to be a put on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I really got a big lol out of this post. I wonder how this dude would react if there was a REAL emergency. This has to be a put on.
    I certain hope all the tablets(Touchpads, iPads, Android, Playbook, Kindle Fire) will continue to work after December 21, 2012. The human race cannot go without our tablets.

As for HP executives, I think they will come to a sensible resolution regarding the future of webOS. They have nearly a million Touchpad owners, plus millions of other webOS smartphone users, out there. Shutting down webOS seems like an unwise business decision to me. It will alienate both regular consumers and business customers.

On the other hand, the majority of people on the street have no idea what webOS or Touchpad is.
    Don't worry about HP shutting down servers any time soon.

Even if they kill off webos tomorrow - they'll keep the account servers running for a couple of years.
    It hardly costs them anything and it would create problems if they shut them down prematurely.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    it would create problems if they shut them down prematurely.
    what kind of problem can it possibly create for HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscokidinsf View Post
    I also have read our 'WebOS' emergency plan page in case we have to walk into the void without any HP support at all.
    I've never seen such a plan..where is this at?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    In the US a company must still provide support for a product 7 years after it goes "End of life" so you have nothing to worry about at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BooR4dley View Post
    In the US a company must still provide support for a product 7 years after it goes "End of life" so you have nothing to worry about at all.
    Is there a federal/state law or regulation that mandates that? That's the first I've heard of it. I guess it probably doesn't apply if the software/hardware ceases opearation?
    Quote Originally Posted by BooR4dley View Post
    Is this how Urban Legends start?
    According to Wiki - End-of-life (product) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obviously this being Wiki I wouldn't use it in a court of law, but it's often better than forum post guestimates.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast