Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    Its gonna take a whole lot to just shutdown and its hard to imagine how it would be done. Servers and services infrastructure will take $$ to run and can't be 'spun off.' For the same reason, I think it will be more of a toxic asset for them to keep running it w/ a dead platform, only for the benefit of end users.

Don't know why, but I was actually thinking about it two days ago. To me, the only thing that would make sense if shutdown is imminent is a total cutting of ties. Maybe updates can be released to make the devices function independently of their servers. Backups can be pushed to other cloud services, for those who need them there, or back to the PC (I know, I know... blah, blah, blah, 'post PC' world). Maybe certain server synergy functions can be moved client side? Maybe the warranties provide for a way out on their part - they'll be stupid not to have placed that in there.

In any case, there's nothing to fear. Your devices will continue to function.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BooR4dley View Post
    In the US a company must still provide support for a product 7 years after it goes "End of life" so you have nothing to worry about at all.
    Tell that to all the people with old (and by "old", I mean in phone terms) android phones who stopped getting updates a while ago. There is no *legal* limitation on when a company can stop providing service for a product as long as it announces in advance when the end of life date is. Companies usually do provide support, but only as a good will/avoid bad publicity thing and not because they have to. If you buy something knowing that it's not being made anymore and the company stops supporting it, your out of luck. For all of us who bought during the firesale (which is the majority of TP owners, I'm sure), we knew going in it wasn't being made (and, anywhere you bought it had a no return all sales final policy to hammer in that fact) and have no recourse when HP finally pulls the plug somewhere down the line. I'm hoping it's not for a while yet, but it's going to happen eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    Tell that to all the people with old (and by "old", I mean in phone terms) android phones who stopped getting updates a while ago. There is no *legal* limitation on when a company can stop providing service for a product as long as it announces in advance when the end of life date is. Companies usually do provide support, but only as a good will/avoid bad publicity thing and not because they have to. If you buy something knowing that it's not being made anymore and the company stops supporting it, your out of luck. For all of us who bought during the firesale (which is the majority of TP owners, I'm sure), we knew going in it wasn't being made (and, anywhere you bought it had a no return all sales final policy to hammer in that fact) and have no recourse when HP finally pulls the plug somewhere down the line. I'm hoping it's not for a while yet, but it's going to happen eventually.
    What about those that bought prior to the fire sale and were not told of support stopping? Although there were all kind of announcements from HP to the public, never once did they tell me that if I didn't return my TP that it would stop receiving support immenently. I fully expect no hardware support on my Pre 3 that I bought off ebay as that was never officially released, however my TP and Pre 2 don't fall into that category, and neither do any AT&T official products such as the Veer and Pixis that were sold up until days ago without any disclaimer.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Here's some items for comparison:

"On July 2, 2010, the T-Mobile Sidekick was discontinued and no longer available for sale through T-Mobile. However, T-Mobile did support Sidekick Web Services until May 31, 2011."

"On February 28, 2011 tech blog Engadget reported Microsoft will discontinue Danger's cloud service on May 31, 2011. After that date, Sidekicks will no longer have access to any data services, though voice service will still function."

"On April 12, 2010, Microsoft announced two Kin models, both available online on May 6, 2010 and in stores on May 13, 2010 from Verizon Wireless for the U.S."

"Content from the Kin phone, like photos, videos and messages, was automatically synchronized to a cloud service called Kin Studio ... The kin studio was shut down as of January 2011."

Not saying any of this will happen to us, but we need to be realistic -- if webOS is shut down (and I'm not saying that's likely) -- there already are precedents for users dependent on cloud services being abandoned by other platforms. I'm sure HP would do the same.

(Quotations above from Wikipedia)
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    As per the webOS Survival Kit Wiki page, you don't need any HP servers to use a webOS device. There are techniques to activate and use devices over wifi and synergy works without the palm profile.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    What about those that bought prior to the fire sale and were not told of support stopping? Although there were all kind of announcements from HP to the public, never once did they tell me that if I didn't return my TP that it would stop receiving support immenently. I fully expect no hardware support on my Pre 3 that I bought off ebay as that was never officially released, however my TP and Pre 2 don't fall into that category, and neither do any AT&T official products such as the Veer and Pixis that were sold up until days ago without any disclaimer.
    Doesn't matter if they told you directly as long as there was some sort of announcement. Untitled has a great list of examples, but as rwhitboy says, you don't actually need the hp servers for anythjng. We technically don't even need the app catalog as people like kalemsoft show.
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    Here's some items for comparison:

"On July 2, 2010, the T-Mobile Sidekick was discontinued and no longer available for sale through T-Mobile. However, T-Mobile did support Sidekick Web Services until May 31, 2011."

"On February 28, 2011 tech blog Engadget reported Microsoft will discontinue Danger's cloud service on May 31, 2011. After that date, Sidekicks will no longer have access to any data services, though voice service will still function."

"On April 12, 2010, Microsoft announced two Kin models, both available online on May 6, 2010 and in stores on May 13, 2010 from Verizon Wireless for the U.S."

"Content from the Kin phone, like photos, videos and messages, was automatically synchronized to a cloud service called Kin Studio ... The kin studio was shut down as of January 2011."

Not saying any of this will happen to us, but we need to be realistic -- if webOS is shut down (and I'm not saying that's likely) -- there already are precedents for users dependent on cloud services being abandoned by other platforms. I'm sure HP would do the same.

(Quotations above from Wikipedia)
    interesting to note. However, the manufacturer could make the point that the devices were not rendered unusable as the cloud storage was not a key component of the OS, whereas webOS is designed on web access and "synergy" which requires server support--but good point nonetheless.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    Doesn't matter if they told you directly as long as there was some sort of announcement. Untitled has a great list of examples, but as rwhitboy says, you don't actually need the hp servers for anythjng. We technically don't even need the app catalog as people like kalemsoft show.
    Look, we are getting very technical and everybody makes great points which then require speculation, however my point on lack of notice from HP is that they have made no notice (that I am aware of anyway) stating quite simply "if you own a particular webOS device, or any webOS device for that matter then support will cease by XX date."

As for Rod's comment regarding the ability to survive without the servers--obviously he is correct, however his method won't work for people who don't know about all of these resources that we know of. And there will be thousands of those. This is my main point.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    True, they haven't made that specific announcement yet, and by no means am I wishing they make it soon. But since they did announce that they aren't making them anymore, we can't really complain when they eventually pull the plug, that's my main point.
    If HP doesnt sell webos but just shuts it down they will still continue to support the servers for years, It would only cost them a few million a year to upkeep the servers and catalog if that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    If HP doesnt sell webos but just shuts it down they will still continue to support the servers for years, It would only cost them a few million a year to upkeep the servers and catalog if that much.
    And that is the big question we all continue to debate and speculate ad nauseum*, (can't spell check because I was forced to disable).

Who really knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Look, we are getting very technical and everybody makes great points which then require speculation, however my point on lack of notice from HP is that they have made no notice (that I am aware of anyway) stating quite simply "if you own a particular webOS device, or any webOS device for that matter then support will cease by XX date."

As for Rod's comment regarding the ability to survive without the servers--obviously he is correct, however his method won't work for people who don't know about all of these resources that we know of. And there will be thousands of those. This is my main point.
    They'll either find out, or sell the device. At that point, HP won't care either way.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    However, at that point there will be no webOS staff left to run it, so as soon as something breaks (which we know happens regularly) it will stay broken, until eventually it is unusable.

I predict this would happen within a small number of months after a decision.

-- Rod
    untitled likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12