Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brshoemak
  1. hiodie's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I just got one of my Touchpads back from repair, and the screen is loose in the speaker side (seen other threads on similar issue). When I hold it on that side, my thumb pushes it down and I can feel the edge of the back piece. Since the front and back are held together by clips, it should be able to fixed. I am a little worried about breaking a clip or two though, so if anyone can comment on difficulty or unforeseen issues, I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by hiodie; 10/28/2011 at 04:38 PM.
  2. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #2  
    "Whom"?

    Please don't try to be grammatically correct if you don't actually know how the grammar works.

    On topic: You may wish to email HP about it.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    "Whom"?

    Please don't try to be grammatically correct if you don't actually know how the grammar works.

    On topic: You may wish to email HP about it.
    LOL
  4. #4  
    I believe iFixit has a page detailing the internals of the device.
  5. hiodie's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    "Whom"?

    Please don't try to be grammatically correct if you don't actually know how the grammar works.

    On topic: You may wish to email HP about it.
    That was the product of auto correct that I didn't see until after I posted. I thought about posting a disclaimer about it, but thought people might not be dicks about it, but then again, it is the internet. I had seen people complaining about it changing words as you typed, but didn't notice until now.

    On topic: If I talk to HP, I am almost positive they will just say to send it in again. I have never been given instructions on how to do it myself when speaking with tech support.
  6. hiodie's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    I believe iFixit has a page detailing the internals of the device.
    They do, but the one I read (Front panel) mentioned the clips most likely breaking. Just wanting a second (or third) opinion from someone that has done it.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hiodie View Post
    They do, but the one I read (Front panel) mentioned the clips most likely breaking. Just wanting a second (or third) opinion from someone that has done it.
    Because it will.
  8. #8  
    A friend of mine was able to get his open and fix a some stuff.. the clips WILL break. He ended up having to apoxy it closed, then used a spary rhino liner material on the back and sides.. looks sweet, worked well, bout a good 4-5 hours of work. Very easy to screw up.
  9. hiodie's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #9  
    So does HP just replace the back every time they open it? Seems pretty stupid.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hiodie View Post
    So does HP just replace the back every time they open it? Seems pretty stupid.
    it could be they have a special proprietary tool and/or technique with replacement one time use clips.

    It could also be a way for HP to tell if the user has opened their device and voided their warranty.

    It could just be a cost cutting design to save money in parts or assembly.

    It could be sheer stupidity.
  11. brshoemak's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    it could be they have a special proprietary tool and/or technique with replacement one time use clips.

    It could also be a way for HP to tell if the user has opened their device and voided their warranty.

    It could just be a cost cutting design to save money in parts or assembly.

    It could be sheer stupidity.
    You know this is HP we're talking about, right? There is only one right answer in that list - and the first three don't count.
    aw9d likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    ...technique with replacement one time use clips.
    Some cars are actually built like this. The interior panels are mounted with clips that are destroyed when you remove the panel. You have to keep a bag of replacement clips around if you want to work on the car.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Some cars are actually built like this. The interior panels are mounted with clips that are destroyed when you remove the panel. You have to keep a bag of replacement clips around if you want to work on the car.
    Yep exactly. Some manufacturers do that, while others require a special interior panel tool to P.O.p them out without Snapping them. When I was with GMC I had to use one.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    Yep exactly. Some manufacturers do that, while others require a special interior panel tool to P.O.p them out without Snapping them. When I was with GMC I had to use one.
    Installing HP TouchPad LCD - Page 2 - iFixit

    There is the complete guide to removing back panel at above link. I got a speaker that does not work
    thinking about giving it a try. But first will send it back for repair as I also have touchscreen
    freezing problem that occurs constantly. Nothing I tried seems to have fixed either -full erase, webos doctor ect.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlitz View Post
    Installing HP TouchPad LCD - Page 2 - iFixit

    There is the complete guide to removing back panel at above link. I got a speaker that does not work
    thinking about giving it a try. But first will send it back for repair as I also have touchscreen
    freezing problem that occurs constantly. Nothing I tried seems to have fixed either -full erase, webos doctor ect.
    Yes I would suggest sending any unit in for warranty work before disassembling it yourself. Not only can hp tell if it has been opened by the user therefore voiding warranty, but why not take advantage of a warranty. Make hp accept the responsibility of fixing any issues with their hardware.

    After your warranty is expired then you are on your own and can take measures to fix it on your own.

Posting Permissions