• 2 Post By Crakeur
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....see link.

Take care,

Jay

First the PC business, perhaps the TouchPad is next in the revival line
    By James Kendrick | October 27, 2011, 2:17pm PDT

First the PC business, perhaps the TouchPad is next in the revival line | ZDNet

Summary: Now that HP is officially keeping its PC division in the company, maybe the TouchPad is next in the revival line.

Updated: The web is reverberating with news from HP today that is will keep its PC division. The official release from HP makes it clear it will stay behind the Personal Systems Group (PSG):
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    "I am still enjoying my TouchPad, and find it to be the best tablet I have used."

From the author of that article. So that invalidates anything he says right there for me, unless of course the guy writing has only used 1 or 2 tablets . . .
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Update: During the Q&A on the press call with this annoucement, Whitman stated that HP will indeed make tablets, but running Windows 8. She went on to state the company had not decided what to do with webOS, but would decide in a couple of months. I am not feeling the commitment from HP at this point.
    So that's a no then.
    can jon innovate webos again to a relevant platform? He created something innovative once that others copied. What is his vision and can jaaksi's team execute in the next few months and make a case to hp? Meg is looking to him for leadership.
    pre4 likes this.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    can jon innovate webos again to a relevant platform?
    Again? Within the global context, it wasn't relevant the first time around. If you are saying that WebOS's future relies on Jon Ruinstein pulling something out of the bag, then it's game over.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    From what I just read over at Bloomberg, There might still be hope.

Whitman also isn’t giving up on tablets, despite the dominance of Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPad, she said yesterday. The company is working with Microsoft Corp. to use the pending Windows 8 operating system on tablet computers, and Hewlett-Packard may come back to market with a tablet running its own WebOS software, she said.

“The market was created by Apple,” she said. “That doesn’t mean there couldn’t be a strong No. 2 player.”

Source: Bloomberg
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    and Hewlett-Packard may come back to market with a tablet running its own WebOS software
    See I listened to the whole thing and she never actually said that. Where do they get this stuff from?

I like how they do that typical journalist trick where they are vague enough about the interview to make it appear that it's with them than them simply repeating what was said in the call with analysts.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/28/2011 at 04:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    See I listened to the whole thing and she never actually said that. Where do they get this stuff from?

I like how they do that typical journalist trick where they are vague enough about the interview to make it appear that it's with them than them simply repeating what was said in the call with analysts.
    an "interview" is Bloomberg's source, not a conference call.
    The guardian has a source saying webos is being shut down

The Guardian: HP shutdown of webOS division said to be 'imminent' -- Engadget
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    The guardian has a source saying webos is being shut down

The Guardian: HP shutdown of webOS division said to be 'imminent' -- Engadget
    Hi all,

Let's hope this is wrong or that these people will be transferred to who ever buys webOS and that the sale of webOS is imminent....WE HOPE...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    "I am still enjoying my TouchPad, and find it to be the best tablet I have used."

From the author of that article. So that invalidates anything he says right there for me, unless of course the guy writing has only used 1 or 2 tablets . . .
    Why is that I wonder? I have used android, webOS and Ios Tabs, and as for my favorite, its the Touchpad. I will admit that the iPad has many more apps and support. but as far as the tab itself goes, and the OS I love webOS much more than android or ios.
    Last edited by SpCecil; 10/28/2011 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpCecil View Post
    Why is that I wonder? I have used android, webOS and Ios Tabs, and as for my favorite, its the Touchpad. I will admit that the iPad has many more apps and support. but as far as the tab itself goes, and the OS I love webOS much more than android or ios.
    I'd say the main reason is the natural feel of the OS, followed by the community. webOS didn't need to be on the flashiest devices, it just needed to be on better ones. I think many of us loyal webOS are proud of what webOS is, and want to see it live.

Also, an update on the gigaOM story:

UPDATE: Tony Prophet, SVP of operations for HPs PC division told GigaOM today the WebOS discussion is on-going. Its a similar process to the one we did with the PC business and the WebOS is being thoroughly evaluated including the software and product facets, the whole thing. So we have to see what Meg and the HP decide finally.

I, for one, hope they make the right decision and keep it alive.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    I'd say the main reason is the natural feel of the OS, followed by the community. webOS didn't need to be on the flashiest devices, it just needed to be on better ones. I think many of us loyal webOS are proud of what webOS is, and want to see it live.

Also, an update on the gigaOM story:

UPDATE: Tony Prophet, SVP of operations for HPs PC division told GigaOM today the WebOS discussion is on-going. Its a similar process to the one we did with the PC business and the WebOS is being thoroughly evaluated including the software and product facets, the whole thing. So we have to see what Meg and the HP decide finally.

I, for one, hope they make the right decision and keep it alive.
    me too, at the very least spin it off so it can go back to its own, stand alone company. just so long as it doesn't end up on printers or crap like that.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I heard Leo was starting a new company and he plans on buying webOS from HP so he can soft release a couple of new products and scrap it again.
    spcecil and ilovedessert like this.
    HP should continue using the Touchpad branding for it's tablet hardware and build on what they've started. If they were smart, they'd make a flexible, open line of hardware, and write drivers for the hardware to support Windows 8, CM/Android, WebOS, Linux, etc. They should not lock into supporting a single software vendor and they should let individuals customize their purchases based on both hardware AND software needs.

I'm afraid though, like Nokia, HP is just now another MS lapdog.
    An unnamed source of mine said:

I heard Leo was starting a new company and he plans on buying webOS from HP so he can soft release a couple of new products and scrap it again.
    must be true.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

John Kenrick used to be a fixture amongst the TabletPC crowd. He had his own blog that had thousands watching his video reviews and commentaries. Then he abruptly sold the site and switched allegiances to "i" devices which, in his opinion, were the best thing to to be made since the telephone. I gave up on any of his recommendations a long time ago because he seems to want to tag onto anything popular at the moment. I am surprised to see his name reappear here in this forum.
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    LOL...that's very funny! Take care, Jay

Exactly. I mean I think the TP is the best tablet I've used but the only other one I've used was my mom's iPad one, and that was for 2 hours last year. I've had the TP for over a week and have used it a good bit in my environment vs sitting at my mom's house.

It's going to take a lot for someone to dethrone the iPad. I don't think HP has it in them, nor do the other tablet companies have the same market share and ability to get the product into the mass market.