Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By muyoso
  1.    #1  
    An analyst on bloomberg predicts they will go back into tablets possibly with wiindoes os and do something with webos. He says the tp will be back on. At the same time he says its all a bad decision financially for hp. He says apple and amazon are going to be the big winners and that apple will bring out a lower cost ipad in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    An analyst on bloomberg predicts they will go back into tablets possibly with wiindoes os and do something with webos. He says the tp will be back on. At the same time he says its all a bad decision financially for hp. He says apple and amazon are going to be the big winners and that apple will bring out a lower cost ipad in 2012.
    They stated an hour ago in a conference call specifically that they are looking to build a win 8 tablet. Nothing to do with an analyst.

Check the front page of P|C
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    They stated an hour ago in a conference call specifically that they are looking to build a win 8 tablet. Nothing to do with an analyst.

Check the front page of P|C
    After the announcment was close today by hp thats what the analyst had to say
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    windows 8?

Why? They've got the best OS out there already.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    so more updates for the touchpad. finally send me an update of 3.04
    Quote Originally Posted by CGI_Ram View Post
    windows 8?

Why? They've got the best OS out there already.
    I totally agree. Windows has been on the decline for quite some time now. Not to many consumer seem excited about it. WP7 sales are dismal despite Microsoft's strong arming of OEMs. Bottom line nobody is buying into mobile versions of Windows. HP might as well flush their money down the toilet. It would be a better use for it than a Windows tablet. The only sensible thing to do would be to double down on their own OS (webOS).
    Also, didn't they have a Windows Tablet (HP Slate) in the works before? Wasn't the OS so slow and crappy that they scrapped it and went with webOS?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Windows 8, Office compiled for ARM, and a decent onscreen keyboard like swype? That might sell better than you think. If Windows 8 ARM is even halfway decent, and the major enterprise programs are recompiled for it...that's a compelling entry for any business user.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGI_Ram View Post
    windows 8?

Why? They've got the best OS CONCEPT out there already.
    FTFY. Because you seriously can't be calling WebOS in its current form the best OS out there with all of the features its missing and the gigantic glaring bugs which still persist.
    spud101 likes this.
    FTFY. Because you seriously can't be calling WebOS in its current form the best OS out there with all of the features its missing and the gigantic glaring bugs which still persist.
    I think its the best by far! For my use, there arent missing features and isnt buggy at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I think its the best by far! For my use, there arent missing features and isnt buggy at all.
    HMMM best no way. Matter of opinion I guess but I'm sure the rams are the best team in the nfl. Android and ios blow webos away. I like it because its easy and my kids can use it but really the best ? It can't do half of what the others can do and apple restricts everything.

sent from my thunderbolt
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    HMMM best no way. Matter of opinion I guess but I'm sure the rams are the best team in the nfl. Android and ios blow webos away. I like it because its easy and my kids can use it but really the best ? It can't do half of what the others can do and apple restricts everything.

sent from my thunderbolt
    I run CM7 on my phone and I have to say that WebOS is better than Android for a tablet, whether that be Gingerbread or Honeycomb. Now where things drop off is the apps and that's the lack of functionality, but the OS itself is better than Android and IOS(maybe not in the native apps but it makes up for in sheer multitasking).
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    I don't find it more buggy than my 2.2 Android, but i agree it could use additional polish.

So fair enough; the concept/foundation behind WebOS is pretty darn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    "all of the features its missing"
    "gigantic glaring bugs"

Exaggerate much?

Apps missing - yes - agreed - no doubt that. App count is far behind the competition.

But please enumerate the "gigantic glaring bugs" and the seemingly many "features its missing".

webos is not flawless - but neither are IOS or Android.

I wouldn't have bought a Pre3 if I didn't still consider webos the best OS out there - I'm not a masochist. I'm under no illusion about its likely future (dead) or app selection (basic compared to the vast libraries available for IOS/Android).
    You are free to come to a different conclusion - which I might even agree with given that you likely have a different set of priorities and interests.

But there are solid reasons to argue for webos being the best OS.

YMMV
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlo100 View Post
    Windows 8, Office compiled for ARM, and a decent onscreen keyboard like swype? That might sell better than you think. If Windows 8 ARM is even halfway decent, and the major enterprise programs are recompiled for it...that's a compelling entry for any business user.
    Halfway decent won't be enough.

Windows continues to dominate the desktop for 2 reasons:
    1) Familiarity
    2) Compatibility with a vast selection of commercial software.

W8 on ARM breaks both.

And it starts from scratch in a market utterly dominated by IPads with ITunes media libraries behind it. And even Android is *far* ahead (while at the same time far behind IOS).
    Heck - webos is far ahead (on tablets) and webos is comatose and likely dead.

The Metro UI is original and different. Kudos to MS to come up with something that's not simply a clone of IOS/Android/webos. But at the same time that's also a big risk.

So far people have not widely opted for WP7 devices. It's entirely unclear whether the Metro UI will ever be widely popular. The classic Windows UI has 0 chance on tablets. We know that for a fact because MS has already tried that for a decade - with close to 0 success.

MS doesn't give up easily. And they have size, connections and still piles of money available. But none of that guarantees success.

IT history is full of big dominant firms that lost their position. Many don't even exist anymore. Many other past giants have been absorbed by the competition.

MS has been post-peak for quite a while. They play a minor role in embedded devices. They don't dominate in the server market. They have been desperately trying to catch up in the hot mobile market - without too much success so far. Search has been a giant money-sink for them.

Actually their income is still dominated by just 2 products: Windows and Office. They had some success with the XBox 360. Almost everything else is loosing them money.
    And both Windows and Office are under constant pressure and both lost market share - slowly but gradually.

Vista was a big flop. They almost had to give away XP to compete in the Netbook market. And it's not too hard to imagine that W8 might also flop.
    Desktop users might very well stay on W7 for years and mobile users are likely to stay with IOS and Android.

Halfway decent won't cut it. Why would people buy an unfamiliar Windows that can't run their familiar software?
    Why not get the cool IPad or a cheaper/more powerful Android? Both are well established and have huge app markets.

What's the case for getting a W8 tablet? Unless you happen to be a fan of the Metro UI - and so far there's not many fans of that.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    What's the case for getting a W8 tablet? Unless you happen to be a fan of the Metro UI - and so far there's not many fans of that.
    You can even do the Metro UI on Android with a launcher or a custom ROM.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Halfway decent won't be enough.

Windows continues to dominate the desktop for 2 reasons:
    1) Familiarity
    2) Compatibility with a vast selection of commercial software.

W8 on ARM breaks both.

And it starts from scratch in a market utterly dominated by IPads with ITunes media libraries behind it. And even Android is *far* ahead (while at the same time far behind IOS).
    Heck - webos is far ahead (on tablets) and webos is comatose and likely dead.

The Metro UI is original and different. Kudos to MS to come up with something that's not simply a clone of IOS/Android/webos. But at the same time that's also a big risk.

So far people have not widely opted for WP7 devices. It's entirely unclear whether the Metro UI will ever be widely popular. The classic Windows UI has 0 chance on tablets. We know that for a fact because MS has already tried that for a decade - with close to 0 success.

MS doesn't give up easily. And they have size, connections and still piles of money available. But none of that guarantees success.

IT history is full of big dominant firms that lost their position. Many don't even exist anymore. Many other past giants have been absorbed by the competition.

MS has been post-peak for quite a while. They play a minor role in embedded devices. They don't dominate in the server market. They have been desperately trying to catch up in the hot mobile market - without too much success so far. Search has been a giant money-sink for them.

Actually their income is still dominated by just 2 products: Windows and Office. They had some success with the XBox 360. Almost everything else is loosing them money.
    And both Windows and Office are under constant pressure and both lost market share - slowly but gradually.

Vista was a big flop. They almost had to give away XP to compete in the Netbook market. And it's not too hard to imagine that W8 might also flop.
    Desktop users might very well stay on W7 for years and mobile users are likely to stay with IOS and Android.

Halfway decent won't cut it. Why would people buy an unfamiliar Windows that can't run their familiar software?
    Why not get the cool IPad or a cheaper/more powerful Android? Both are well established and have huge app markets.

the answer was listed above. If you can do office [none of the tablets do that worth a damn] and it fits well with IT, then they are golden. You use it at work, you'll use it at home. M$ is a lot more creative than given credit for and as for word losing market, don't count on it. It is the standard. Too many problems with the alternatives.