• 1 Post By djklmnop
  1.    #1  
    Why can't "Software Manager" automatically
    update all apps without bothering me?

I haven't encountered any updates that I don't
    want applied to purchased/free apps yet. It
    just seems easier to let that Touchpad do its
    own thing when it comes to update, no?

Maybe. But then you'd have people ask "why does the touchpad app update apps without asking me?" There's good and bads to both. Some people like waiting for bug reports before updating in case they opt to not update.
    laoh, crucian4 and un_designer like this.
    Please please please please please someone create a patch to disable the notification. I will check it myself when I'm ready to. The message appearing every now and then is so annoying, and there's no way to turn it off in settings

Its especially frustrating since I gave out a few tablets to family who are not computer literate, so they will just click on whatever they see and end up installing all kinds of updates and sometimes ending up with a fail message. The result? Them calling me to come fix the tablet.
    pk1234 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop View Post
    Please please please please please someone create a patch to disable the notification. I will check it myself when I'm ready to. The message appearing every now and then is so annoying, and there's no way to turn it off in settings

Its especially frustrating since I gave out a few tablets to family who are not computer literate, so they will just click on whatever they see and end up installing all kinds of updates and sometimes ending up with a fail message. The result? Them calling me to come fix the tablet.
    if you originally bought the app(paid or promo code) directly from HP App Catalog,
    what reason is there not to install the app update?
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    if you originally bought the app(paid or promo code) directly from HP App Catalog,
    what reason is there not to install the app update?

Reasons why you wouldn't want to immediately update an app:
    - Update introduces new functionality/design/change you aren't keen on (i.e. a free app adding advertising, but nothing else really functional)
    - You've heard there is a bug/issue that you know will impact how you use said app
    - You are on a limited/capped data connection and would prefer to do this on wifi when you get the chance
    - You're about to board a plane and have to shut off your data connection/can't wait for it to finish (good luck with your 800 MB Audubon Birds update! )
    - You don't have enough storage space free at all times to take a big update

For the vast majority of people, this is the way it should work. It provides full disclosure that you want to do the update then, so if something magically breaks you know what happened. I'll take full control personally over automated personally. I don't let Windows Update run free on it's own either. Mac OS updates always require some prompting.

Is it really so hard to update manually? It's two clicks (once on the notification, once on Update All).
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    surely the ideal middle ground is as on Android, you can select on an app by app level if you want them to auto-update.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    surely the ideal middle ground is as on Android, you can select on an app by app level if you want them to auto-update.
    Exactly. Is it that hard to have an option whether for the apps to auto-update or not?

Some things in WebOS still boggle me!
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop View Post

Agreed. Sucks for me because I have one stubborn app that webOS refuses to acknowledge is actually up to date, so I am constantly getting the message to update it.
    Pros: The pills were there.
    Cons: So was the tank.
    I would like a way to disable software updates completely...close to every day I have to dismiss them, it's a pain. I don't update anything unless there's an active problem that actually affects me or a very serious security concern.
    Still not as annoying as when you visit literally any webpage that has a search functionality, the absolutely STUPID notification to add that to the Just type search functionality. I rage everytime it comes up because I NEVER use Just Type and NEVER want to add anything to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Still not as annoying as when you visit literally any webpage that has a search functionality, the absolutely STUPID notification to add that to the Just type search functionality. I rage everytime it comes up because I NEVER use Just Type and NEVER want to add anything to it.
    there Is a patch, save yourself some rage
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Because not everyone wants to leave the decision to the developer or HP.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    Because not everyone wants to leave the decision to the developer or HP.
    So, just do it like Android where you can choose for each app to either manually update or else set it update automatically. That fixes your reason to not want it and caters to everyone else. How hard is that to do?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    there Is a patch, save yourself some rage
    whats the patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by ran495 View Post
    whats the patch?
    Disable Search Engine Browser Notifications
    Quote Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post
    Maybe. But then you'd have people ask "why does the touchpad app update apps without asking me?" There's good and bads to both. Some people like waiting for bug reports before updating in case they opt to not update.
    That's why they should be doing it the way Android does. You set a flag for each app on whether it should auto-update. And for apps with the flag off, it notifies you when an update is available so you can choose whether to apply it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I don't mind the notification. What I mind is when I click on it and it says (9/10 times) 'This action could not be completed at this time, please try again later'.