Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I have and love Picsel SmartOffice. I would like to reassociate file types with it instead of QuickOffice and I would like to delete QuickOffice entirely because it is awful. But I can find no way to do either. I can delete the icon from the Launcher, but the application persists.

How do I rid my TouchPad of QuickOffice?

Thanks.
    With the problems in SmartOffice that are not encountered in QuickOffice, I'd leave it installed.

Eg buggy word wrap
    No ability to preselect fonts and sizes
    No clipboard sharing with other apps nor even from one doc to another
    Inability to show graphics in some PDFs eg the TP manual

and probably others, those are off the top of my head.

I realise that's not the answer to your question, but I'd really suggest using SmartOffice for a few days before dumping QuckOffice. I suspect many people will need to keep both and use the one that works best with the particular task in hand.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I find QuickOffice to be so thoroughgoingly, persistently, and unrelentingly awful that it had been my intention to nuke it, Picsel product or not. But no matter how many times I delete it, it's still there. Perhaps they could rename it HerpesOffice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
    With the problems in SmartOffice that are not encountered in QuickOffice, I'd leave it installed.

Eg buggy word wrap
    No ability to preselect fonts and sizes
    No clipboard sharing with other apps nor even from one doc to another
    Inability to show graphics in some PDFs eg the TP manual

and probably others, those are off the top of my head.

I realize that's not the answer to your question, but I'd really suggest using SmartOffice for a few days before dumping QuckOffice. I suspect many people will need to keep both and use the one that works best with the particular task in hand.
    I am not sure i understand I have yet to find a doc that quickoffice will display a graphic in. So far they all show up in smart office.
    when i edit an excel spread sheet and save it with quick office in dropbox it resets all of the settings I.E. Printing preferences for the entire work book so then i have to go back through and re-set them up -- this does not happen in smart office.
    you can search PDF's in smart office,

I am not saying that i don't appreciate the program that quick office put together all i am saying is that i like smart office better and i would like to have it open at the very least the pdf's that come attached to e-mail instead of having to save them and then view them.

you cannot change the default app to open anything though
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I don't have my Touchpad in front of me at the moment, so this could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can change file associations... somewhere under....

Launcher -> Settings -> Device Info -> Preferences(?)

Or are you saying you tried that and the file associations went back to QuickOffice?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    I don't have my Touchpad in front of me at the moment, so this could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can change file associations... somewhere under....

Launcher -> Settings -> Device Info -> Preferences(?)

Or are you saying you tried that and the file associations went back to QuickOffice?
    Can't be changed there. In fact, very little can be changed there.
    Use preware or wosqi
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by locbuondoi View Post
    Use preware or wosqi
    How would either of those enable me to dispatch QuickOffice, in that QuickOffice does not show up there?

Nor, best I can tell, is there anything tbat allows changing of file associations.
    Quickoffice - Support Center and look for section on how to re-install quick office, but just do the uninstall bit
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcjimc View Post
    Quickoffice - Support Center and look for section on how to re-install quick office, but just do the uninstall bit
    Yes, thanks, thought I had mentioned above that holding the icon and deleting it *does not* delete anything but the icon -- the offending code remains. I guess that one must conclude that QuickOffice is to webOS as Internet Explorer is to Windows 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by depscribe View Post
    I find QuickOffice to be so thoroughgoingly, persistently, and unrelentingly awful that it had been my intention to nuke it, Picsel product or not. But no matter how many times I delete it, it's still there. Perhaps they could rename it HerpesOffice.
    To make sure app is not reinstalled from ROM after reboot you have to remove its IPK from /usr/palm/ipkgs directory ... Developer mode ON, novaterm, mount -o rw,remount / and rm ... Few simple steps...it is up to you.... but...

...you should know that default mimetype/extension handlers CAN be changed in webOS - and indeed IF you have more than 1 app that registers itself as mimetype handler THEN you will have option to choose default one...ie that extension won't be greyed out in "Default applications..." setting page. For now PicselOffice does not register itself as handler, hence OS does not offer you that choice... Uninstalling Quickoffice wont help as far as I know...
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Thanks very much -- this is good to hear (well, the nuking it forever part, anyway). Perhaps at some point there will be a way to establish file associations in general, not just with Picsel.

Thanks again. I don't have the gadget with me (kind of useless here at the office until I get some connectivity issues resolved), but I'll give it a shot this evening.