Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else still waiting for that imminent announcement about touchpads and the fate on webos? It was all over google news last week. I guess this in line with HP's other announcement strategy.
    I guess not and I'm still hopeful, but as usual there is a time and place for everything even webOS and hopefully someone like Microsoft with money and insight makes its way its direction. Sorli...
    nope, not waiting at all. Won't believe anything HP says. Won't pay attention to what any new owner says unless it includes a ship date, price, and carrier.

until then, I'm supporting homebrewers and enjoying webOS.
    HP as a business is crooks. So I don't trust anything they say.
    That's libelous unless you can prove it m8.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    The products we thought were nixed at HP may not have actually been nixed just yet. The HP TouchPad, WebOS, and the PC division are still on the chopping block, but my sources at HP say that with the new CEO Meg Whitman, they haven't actually been chopped yet.

So those HP TouchPads may not be historical artifacts after all.

According to unnamed sources within HP, the company is having internal discussions about reviving the defunct webOS-based version after the supposed second fire sale wave takes place on an unspecified date. The company is also considering building an entirely new device instead with Windows 8 in mind.

plenty of speculation...not much public news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    That's libelous unless you can prove it m8.
    That's free speech unless Adolf gets elected next year broseph.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    That's free speech unless Adolf gets elected next year broseph.
    No it's not, also since these forums are 'probably' privately owned the right to free speech would exist only as far as the owners say it does.

It's fine to want to rant and say your piece but think of the guys running the forum when you post, it's them who would have to stand up in court and defend what's printed here.
    Last edited by Steep; 10/26/2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post
    HP as a business is crooks. So I don't trust anything they say.
    Protect yourself this way:

Instead of "HP as a business is crooks." say "In my opinion, HP as a business is crooks."
    Quote Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
    plenty of speculation...not much public news.
    As always.

It would make sense given the support and the deal they could get that HP would go for Win8 as their next platform instead of setting themselves up in competition to one of their long term trading partners,
    IANAL, but, unless someone has credentials, anything anyone writes is an opinion. At least, that's what I was taught in English class (as in, don't bother saying it's your opinion, we already know that).

Nevertheless, I really think that we don't count our blessings enough. If it wasn't for HP's ineptitude, almost none of us would have this terrific technology at such a low price right now.

Yes, we are sorry the king is dead but look, he willed us a democracy!

:-)
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I am waiting, been keeping my eyes on the finance blogs to see what deals HP strikes for webOS. I also keep an eye out on Dell as I hope they can use it with their line of Streaks, and bring new tabs to market.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I am enjoying the TouchPad way more than I would have ever expected.

Whatever HP decides to do next, I hope they insure that webOS development continues.

I was just reading about Windows 8 and it has a long long way to go.

It would make way more sense to polish webOS and make a run at iOS.

Besides which, there is now a great installed base for webOS and the Touchpad.
    I am sure the announcement will be in the next issue of Pivot - which I hear is "coming soon."
    Quote Originally Posted by suprolla View Post
    I am waiting, been keeping my eyes on the finance blogs to see what deals HP strikes for webOS. I also keep an eye out on Dell as I hope they can use it with their line of Streaks, and bring new tabs to market.
    I believe Dell are going with Win8 as well, supposedly Micheal Dell doesn't think very highly of Android (Michael Dell: Android Has Not "Developed to Expectations"AndroidGuys) but I reckon it's for much the same reasons as I said above re HP going with Microsoft, it makes good business sense to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by william munny View Post
    Protect yourself this way:

Instead of "HP as a business is crooks." say "In my opinion, HP as a business is crooks."
    Yeah I'm not worried about HP coming after me. All they can do is tell an admin of the site to remove my posts. Big whoopie there. But thanks for the tip.

As for HP as a company, I've had plenty, and I do mean plenty of dealings personally with HP lawyers about multi-million dollar lawsuit that we still are fighting against them. All I can say about HP as a company: EVIL.

It took me awhile to buy a TP just because its branded with HP. But for 99$, you really can't beat the deal.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I own an Android tablet. I own a Macbook Pro. I own a BlackBerry. I have no alliances... WebOS is the best of tablet software.

I hope they find a buyer or rethink their strategy to market this awesome OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
    I am enjoying the TouchPad way more than I would have ever expected.

Whatever HP decides to do next, I hope they insure that webOS development continues.
    I was just reading about Windows 8 and it has a long long way to go.
    It would make way more sense to polish webOS and make a run at iOS.
    Besides which, there is now a great installed base for webOS and the Touchpad.
    It would only make sense if HP were willing to make a long term investment, knowing that it could be 3 to 5 years before they would make any real profits. But most publicly traded company can see no more than 3 quarters ahead, let alone 3 years. And HP has publicly shown a fear of long term strategy that costs money... and their opponents know it.

(not to mention that the Autonomy purchase has left them a little tapped for cash )

Also, there is a LOT of back channel skullduggery going on that we are not always aware of in the public until after the fact. As small a threat as webOS may seem to be, I can almost guarantee you that the other players in the space are working vigorously to box out any potential comeback. (See Steve Jobs/Apple wigging out over a Facebook app for a platform that he can match in a weekend's sales... think Facebook would work with HP again with any sense of priority?)

Not saying anything illegal is going on, but with 100's of millions of dollars at stake, this is major league hardball, and given how HP handled the whole announcement, they gave up most of whatever leverage they may have had. So now, not only do the have to sell a vision of potential; they also need to re-earn the trust of the partners, developers, vendors, suppliers, manufacturers, and consumers they left standing in the cold after their abrupt about face.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I guess not and I'm still hopeful, but as usual there is a time and place for everything even webOS and hopefully someone like Microsoft with money and insight makes its way its direction. Sorli...
    I almost passed out... until I saw you said someone LIKE Microsoft and not Microsoft.

"Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    no news Is good news?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast