Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stonelaughter View Post
    NOBODY is buying WebOS. WebOS belongs to HP and they have internally stated their continued committment to it. I know. I'm internal.

color me unimpressed. companies say crap like that all the time. then they change their minds the next day and fire 500 people. oh wait.

and good luck trying to find a device partner since pretty much all companies are doing android or windows
    Can anyone else think of another valid, commercially sensible approach which also includes keeping on WebOS?
    I can't think of any reason that HP should continue to own WebOS.

They don't know what to do with it and aren't committed to fixing/developing the app ecosystem and/or WebOS itself. The hardware was never even a huge problem for the product. Another hardware manufacturer isn't going to magically fix all the problems with WebOS. Every WebOS update continues to prove how poorly optimized it was for the Touchpad hardware at launch. It's why we're already seeing signs that HP is working on a Microsoft Windows based tablet and they've said as much in the news.

Also, we're already seeing high level WebOS/Palm related employees move to companies like Nokia. HP's commitment seems to be disappearing as time goes on.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'd like an announcement as to when they're going to change the picture of the grumpy looking girls on the appstore.
    HP Decides to keep PC division

HP decides to keep PC division | Reuters
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    That's libelous unless you can prove it m8.

ShiftyAxel and DS_Palm_Lvr like this.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    HP to keep PC business, future of webOS still uncertain

By Daniel Eran Dilger

Published: 05:44 PM EST (02:44 PM PST)

Two weeks after calling an internal all hands meeting to discuss the status of its Personal Systems Group making PCs and mobile devices, HP has finally announced it will keep the division rather than spinning it off or selling it.

In a press release issued today, HP's new president and chief executive officer Meg Whitman announced that "HP objectively evaluated the strategic, financial and operational impact of spinning off PSG. It’s clear after our analysis that keeping PSG within HP is right for customers and partners, right for shareholders, and right for employees.”

The decision to hold on to the PSG division was based upon a realization of "the depth of the integration that has occurred across key operations such as supply chain, IT and procurement" and the "significant extent to which PSG contributes to HP’s solutions portfolio and overall brand value."

Meg Whitman brought to tears by Apotheker's ransacking of HP

Just over two months have passed since HP's former chief executive Lo Apotheker made the announcement on August 18 that HP would be evaluating what to do with its PSG unit, potentially selling it or spinning it off into a subsidiary.

Two weeks ago at an internal employee meeting, HP executive Jon Rubinstein told employees that the company's new chief executive had been "brought to tears" when briefed on the extent of Apotheker's announced strategy for HP, which was described as "crazy" according to people in attendance.

Rubinstein arrived at HP from Palm last year; he formerly worked with Steve Jobs at NeXT before joining Apple and helping to turn it around as the senior vice president of hardware engineering. He made key decisions shaping products from the original iMac to the G4 PowerMacs and the original iPod. He left Apple in 2006.

The meltdown of HP over the last year has left Rubinstein, his webOS and the Pre smartphones and TouchPad tablet products he managed at Palm up in the air, particularly after Apotheker pulled the plug on webOS hardware and left its future in doubt as he announced plans to turn HP into an enterprise software company.

Conference call clarifications

"Uncertainty in business is never your friend," Whitman told analysts in a conference call held today. She described the decision to keep PSG as the product of strategic review and data-driven evaluation conducted by 18 different teams who "dove deep into this," saying it was "an impressive thing to watch" while saying HP needed to validate the "real value in the combination."

Whitman explained that the costs and risks of a separation would be greater than any potential savings of spinning the PC group off, noting that the group contributes $1 billion in operational profit, provides supply chain efficiencies and improves component pricing, distribution and procurement leverage while contributing to gross margins for both PCs and the separate server products Apotheker planned to keep.

Splitting PSG off would "lose synergies in the channel, sales, and marking," and result in the expense of creating a new brand. The company indicated a spinoff of PSG would require an additional $1.5 billion in startup costs, including IT support, finance and operations.

Whitman said the "decision was very straightforward" in the end, although she was actively serving as a member of the HP board when it approved Apotheker's plans to shift HP into a very different enterprise software company just a few months ago.

What about webOS?

Whitman responded to questions about building tablets in the future by saying "we're certainly going to be in tablets," while implying that the company's tablet strategy would be tied to Microsoft's release of Windows 8 next fall. "We're going to take another run at this business," she said.

A decision on webOS will come in "the next couple months" and not be tied to the decision to keep PSG. Whitman said HP "needed to make a more holistic" decision regarding the mobile OS it acquired from Palm last year for $1.3 billion.

Prior to buying Palm last summer, HP joined Microsoft on stage to launch the "Slate PC" running Windows 7 at the beginning of 2010, a product which was also a colossal failure for HP.

HP made no mention of its smartphone plans or whether the company would pursue webOS phones or shift back to making Windows Phone 7 devices. Todd Bradley, HP's executive vice president of PSG, repeated HP's interest in tablets without elaborating details while also making mention of the importance of new ultramobile notebooks. When an analyst asked about HP's smartphone plans, Bradley clarified that "ultramobile" pertained to thin notebooks and had nothing to do with smartphones.

Bradley also noted that the PSG had been restructured in July to focus on "commercial, consumer premium and consumer volume" customers, and noted that HP was investing in emerging markets and "well position to compete and win." His announcements were largely limited to affirming HP's decision to keep the PSG in house, saying that the need for clarity on the matter had been demanded by HP's clients.

"We heard this very clearly when we spoke with customers," Bradley said.

HP's internal webOS group has reported suffered only minor attrition so far, according to a source familiar with the group's status, but likened its future prospects to sushi in terms of its ability to sit around waiting to be served.
    Last edited by dna550; 10/27/2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Holistic may not be bad. WebOS-on-PC & WebOS-on-Printers wasn't a horrible idea and it keeps the ecosystem alive. I'd like Glimpse & Spaz on my PC, especially if Exhibition mode was an option as a screensaver.

If they shipped a couple hundred thousand WebOS-enabled PCs in a quarter, that might be enough to convince an ODM/OEM like HTC or Samsung to take a chance on a couple of WebOS phones, likely using existing hardware for minimal engineering effort. It would probably be bad for us Sprint-ers as those phones would likely be GSM worldphones to cut down SKUs but it might make WebOS on phones viable.

Eventually.

Sigh. I want to kick Leo in his TouchPad.
    i just want to hear what is going to happen with webos in general. im really getting sick of hearing no news on it. i swear it's like no one knows how to push webos to anyone. they have had chances since 2008. it's like a bunch of monkeys run the show.
    It's fine. Ms. Whitman said, NOT until HP has it's Q3 meeting will she or HP reveal anything further about their plans for webOS. Keep the Faith, everything will work out. Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    It's fine. Ms. Whitman said, NOT until HP has it's Q3 meeting will she or HP reveal anything further about their plans for webOS. Keep the Faith, everything will work out. Peace.
    Appreciate the positiveness, it's been a rough day for webOS with all the rumors.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    i wish i could be as optimistic as you. hp is dragging their heels while android topples everything with ice cream coming. i think it's safe to say that the ship has sailed for webos unless by some miracle they resurrect it.....AGAIN!
    HP to hold on to PC division

Looks like the end I'm afraid, unless they sell. The link is misleading as it actualy also mentions Web OS, possible future.
    http://gigaom.com/2011/10/28/webos-n...d-of-the-road/
    UPDATE: Tony Prophet, SVP of operations for HPs PC division told GigaOM today the WebOS discussion is on-going. Its a similar process to the one we did with the PC business and the WebOS is being thoroughly evaluated including the software and product facets, the whole thing. So we have to see what Meg and the HP decide finally.

The Guardian (the best UK newspaper) says that webOS will be killed by HP, note this is not confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by frmorrison View Post

The Guardian (the best UK newspaper) says that webOS will be killed by HP, note this is not confirmation.
    guardian story updated by gigaom, see my post above
    Leo the Chemist was sacked because of his communications failings. I don't know what Meg Whitman is going to do about Touchpads and Palm phones; but I do know one thing...

NOBODY is buying WebOS. WebOS belongs to HP and they have internally stated their continued committment to it. I know. I'm internal.
    Assuming this is true - it's also irrelevant. HP doesn't seem to be in the habit to tell their own people what's going on.

I'm not internal - but I'm pretty sure that webos is
    a) likely to die from neglect from HP
    or
    b) getting sold if a company is interested enough to pay an amount that tempts HP to get some money out of it.
    Or
    c) total course correction - HP decides it's no better off with MS W8 next year than their own webos right now. This seems least likely at the moment - but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

There will be no licencing - because it doesn't make much sense for a potential licencee - regardless of what HP claims (and HPs credibility is pretty low to begin with atm).

I don't know their strategy regarding the devices; but it seems to me that it would make perfect sense, (considering their stated committment to the continuation of WebOS as a platform),
    Pff. You are funny. ;-)
    HP was totally committed to HP (marathon, number 1+, webos on a zillion PCs, etc...) up until the hour they killed the product line. Forgive me for giving zero credit to anything HP says regarding webos until they bring TP2 and Pre4 to market with a bang.

to find a Device Partner to make and sell WebOS devices. OS agnostic device manufacturers would at the moment include Motorola and HTC - and Motorola were just bought by Google so it's unlikely they will be a viable partner.

Can anyone else think of another valid, commercially sensible approach which also includes keeping on WebOS?
    Nope. But then I don't believe that they will actually keep webos. If they can find a company that is interested - then that company will want to own the platform - not licence it. Licencing does not make sense. Android is the cheaper and better established deal when it comes to licencing. If Sony offers 750 m plus a counter-licence for webos on printers then HP will sell. Probably for even less.

It boils down to:
    1) HP considers all their options - and decides that last years Be-Like-Apple plan was best - then they keep webos and re-start webos devices and double-down on the platform

2) Decide to go with W8 (or Android - or a mix) on tablets, stay out of smartphone market (and they seem to think that tablets go well without accompanying smartphones with the same platform) - then they'll need to monetize what's left of webos. And licencing won't be an option available to them. That mean selling or letting the remaining value die
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by knightnz View Post
    I'd like an announcement as to when they're going to change the picture of the grumpy looking girls on the appstore.
    this. Hahaha.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123