Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    my guess:

HP pursues windows 8 tablets (we saw that posted already), possibly using something similar to touchpad HW-wise. HP sells all of webos off and never mentions it again

webos sold to ?LG who reported a loss today - perfect kinda partner that might want to pursue something to turn things around as android isn't cutting it against samsung (See endgadget today) Not sure what kind of capital LG has and resources. LG posts a net loss for Q3, loses ground in mobile sales -- Engadget

Let's see if I'm close in a few days
    Itís still up in the air。
    HP really should keep on w/ webos and imo the best way to get more market share is tap into something EVERONE is missing.. and nobody is after. I don't know anyone who wouldn't want a large 22" or so version (large touch calendar) in their kitchen. The integration w/ your entire family's personal calendars and facebook etc, sports and TV just add a mouse to that bt keyboard and maybe a tv tuner and man what a sick device! Then have a few neat touch features with smaller touchpads and even wireless link to the touchpads (and phones) at each person’s bedroom on the night stand acting as a clock in exhibition type mode.

Please just sick.. endless possibilities.

HP there is your model for free.. pay me big and I'll set you up for the next 10+yrs

PS another free tip.. webos should be running on all bd/dvd players....

umm how about a partenership w/ timewarner.. digital set boxes... see where this is going.. u nimrods.. LOL also cellular and std phone line in options... should be a must on the 'touch hub' calendar (damn there is a great name given away)

how about extra hardware to start selling..

good wireless speakers that can be placed anywhere in the home (even outside on the patio etc) just to name one easy *upgrade (well two w/ the bt mouse) LOL

and don't get stupid and limit hardware to your own, make it as broad as possible for supported phones and tablets.. just always have a few cool things that only work native with webos gear (ie the full link w/ the main 'touch hub' calendar and sharing of apps (and media) on any linked tablet (saving people money is a good way to get them to buy your gear). PS can always sell apps in the itunes and android stores to enable the extra features and make MONEY at it.. (see the angle)

PS a usb or firewire port will be needed for data storage, ** provide an option but don't limit this to proprietary equip (tb+ storage for recorded tv, music, ebooks, digital copies, etc etc) This way base memory can still be limited to keep down buy in cost. On that note the money is NOT in the initial 'touch hub' sale, take a LOSS, make it up later (see below)

webos enabled phones (or touchpads) have apps to enable any feature, anywhere from the *home linked* 'touch hub' calendar also allowing remote activation of tv recording etc etc can even link in lights, heaters etc (webos thermostat)

I should stop as I'm sure nobody from HP reads here but please this is where it is headed even if some people can't see it yet. First to get there wins.

while u're at it, a 3d view app and direct link into amazon's ebooks and music or googles if amazon won't play ball... that alone w/ a small share of the rev's will drive profits. Good lord the 'idea' store running and grocery list apps that run in the corner of the 'touchhub' man the ideas in my head.. and the possible ad money tied in here from stores and retailers??,, man I should be the CEO ;P Milk gets added to the 'touch hubs' grocery list and all webos phones get updates so it can be picked up on the way home (can enable sms for this feature so it works on all phones, just not as cool). Really I could go on for days
    Last edited by stumblinh; 10/26/2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Missed this thread today. I'm very interested in what HP has to say, and I hope that the reason why they haven't announced anything yet is because they are in negotiations with someone, and they do NOT have the upper hand.

Derek mentioned this in the PalmCast. HP may have done so much damage to the webOS brand that there are interested buyers, but not for what HP wants for it. It's time for HP to take the loss (in my opinion), and let someone else develop webOS the way it should have been. Who knows, maybe they'll play nice with HP later on if (when?) it becomes a success.
    nothing palm or hp does occurs imminently. Things are always coming soon or stay tuned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Anyone else still waiting for that imminent announcement about touchpads and the fate on webos? It was all over google news last week. I guess this in line with HP's other announcement strategy.
    i'm sure someone is. But it was my understanding there was "RUMOR" of an announcement. That NOBODY at HP ever said they would announce anything. but people just tuned out as soon as someone reported that there would be an announcement and never bothered to notice that nobody at HP was actually confirmed to say anything.

Personally i wouldn't expect anything until there is something that the public needs to know. When that is? No clue. But i wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    That's libelous unless you can prove it m8.
    Good luck suing and collecting damages on that one. They'll toss the guy out of court and make him pay attorney fees simply for bringing a stupid case. And Libel is weighed in context. The damage that would be done to HP, it have to be HP as a whole, since the guy doesn't name a specific person, HP in general, would have hard time claiming damage to their business image because one guy on a forum that relatively few people in the world read called them all crooks. The damage is de minimis and virtually unprovable. Whether libelous or not recovering anything would be virtually impossible and not worth the attorney fees to pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    It's fine to want to rant and say your piece but think of the guys running the forum when you post, it's them who would have to stand up in court and defend what's printed here.
    The California Supreme court ruled on this and the U.S. Supreme court, to my knowledge, has not overturned it. "plaintiffs who contend they were defamed in an Internet posting may only seek recovery from the original source of the statement." Barrett et. al. vs. Rosenthal Meaning in this country, and in my state, specifically the only person you can recover damages from for defamation claim based on a statement made on the internet is the actual speaker. Not the ISP or website that's independant of the speaker.

Additionally Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act protects ISPs which websites get categorized as from defamation by a websites users. It's one thing if the people running Precentral post stuff. It's another for users of the site to make statements in a public forum.

For the record i'm with you. I don't think they are crooks. But Precentral would not be liable for defamatory statements by users. And again good luck proving damages.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 10/26/2011 at 11:53 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
    According to unnamed sources within HP, the company is having internal discussions about reviving the defunct webOS-based version after the supposed second fire sale wave takes place on an unspecified date. The company is also considering building an entirely new device instead with Windows 8 in mind.
    I thought the Second Wave went to the HP employees? Are there more?
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    The California Supreme court ruled on this and the U.S. Supreme court, to my knowledge, has not overturned it.
    The site is governed by Canadian law and I have no idea how that affects it, but however unlikely it is that anyone would persue them, it doesn't make it right.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    I thought the Second Wave went to the HP employees? Are there more?
    Apparently, the 2nd wave of production was oversold at fire-sale prices.

Some HP employees had their orders cancelled because orders exceeded the production run using previously supplied parts. Just like the original fire-sale.

I had my Sunday August 21st order filled by the 2nd wave via Amazon/OnSale.

Will HP make more?

If they do they won't be sold at fire-sale prices.

H-P honored the original fire-sale weekend orders and tried to accommodate H-P employees with the same deal, while also following through on contractual agreements with the computer supply-chain companies and retailers that were hung out to dry by the weekend fire-sale chaos experienced August 20-21st.
    I wouldn't be worried about HP taking action in any way.
    If they actually gave a damn what ANY WebOS users thought in the first place, this site would have to upgrade it's servers to accommodate all the new users when the Pre3 hit every market, undercutting the iphone and most decent (term used loosely) Android handsets.
    With all the higher up people jumping ship it could only mean two things. Death (or "fingers crossed" OPEN SOURCE!!!!) or they are finalizing a sale / licensing agreement

Can't imagine they would not try to keep the people who have left if they were going to do something with WebOS
    after what HP did i don't think anyone will be buying webos. it's a shame because it had alot of potential. HP should hand it over to rod and let them develop it.
    xninjagrrl likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullathomas View Post
    With all the higher up people jumping ship it could only mean two things. Death (or "fingers crossed" OPEN SOURCE!!!!) or they are finalizing a sale / licensing agreement

Can't imagine they would not try to keep the people who have left if they were going to do something with WebOS
    i say the death of webos is more likely. i doubt it will go open source. i can also see google buying it and using features in android.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i say the death of webos is more likely. i doubt it will go open source. i can also see google buying it and using features in android.
    I would love to see android merge the features of WebOS that I love to their OS. I love the cards and flicking them away is just fun. I hate that there is no widgets.. I don't like having to open an app every time to see the weather..

but I'm having to agree, i think this is the end of WebOS which is kinda sad. It's a really nice OS that can be used in many applications.
    xninjagrrl likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    That's free speech unless Adolf gets elected next year broseph.
    Don't you mean the pizzaman? Or the Dairy Queen? Or the 2 cheaters? Or the smurf? or the usurper? (fair and balanced analysis)

I actually have no problems with HP... have owned their products for 10+ years and they always took care of me. As a corporation, they are somewhat
    clueless and I get the feeling that the right hand doesn't know what the left eye is looking at, while the left hand is listening with the right ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post
    I would love to see android merge the features of WebOS that I love to their OS. I love the cards and flicking them away is just fun. I hate that there is no widgets.. I don't like having to open an app every time to see the weather..

but I'm having to agree, i think this is the end of WebOS which is kinda sad. It's a really nice OS that can be used in many applications.
    i don't think the cards feature will ever be used in android. but again i can easily see HP handing it over to google. im just sad because webos has one of the best communities ive ever seen. this os just never really got much support from anyone other than rod. i really wish htc would of bought webos instead of HP.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    i don't think the cards feature will ever be used in android.
    Mainly because it now exists in a mutated form...
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post
    I would love to see android merge the features of WebOS that I love to their OS.
    I would not be surprised if Google was in the bidding for WebOS and their related patents. Patents are going for billions these days and i bet palm had some good one's that help shore up Google's patent portfolio.
    Leo the Chemist was sacked because of his communications failings. I don't know what Meg Whitman is going to do about Touchpads and Palm phones; but I do know one thing...

NOBODY is buying WebOS. WebOS belongs to HP and they have internally stated their continued committment to it. I know. I'm internal.

I don't know their strategy regarding the devices; but it seems to me that it would make perfect sense, (considering their stated committment to the continuation of WebOS as a platform), to find a Device Partner to make and sell WebOS devices. OS agnostic device manufacturers would at the moment include Motorola and HTC - and Motorola were just bought by Google so it's unlikely they will be a viable partner.

Can anyone else think of another valid, commercially sensible approach which also includes keeping on WebOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by stonelaughter View Post
    Leo the Chemist was sacked because of his communications failings. I don't know what Meg Whitman is going to do about Touchpads and Palm phones; but I do know one thing...

NOBODY is buying WebOS. WebOS belongs to HP and they have internally stated their continued committment to it. I know. I'm internal.

I don't know their strategy regarding the devices; but it seems to me that it would make perfect sense, (considering their stated committment to the continuation of WebOS as a platform), to find a Device Partner to make and sell WebOS devices. OS agnostic device manufacturers would at the moment include Motorola and HTC - and Motorola were just bought by Google so it's unlikely they will be a viable partner.

Can anyone else think of another valid, commercially sensible approach which also includes keeping on WebOS?
    I would like to know more information. How sure are you that they are searching for a device partner and not a buyer for the whole shebang? I mean if HP plans to keep webOS viable they would at the least need to find a device partner, but are there any viable partners that are into device manufacturing? HTC has said no to buying webOS, but that doesn't rule out development of devices.

It doesn't make financial sense unless HP were willing to continue taking a loss on webOS in the short to medium, and potentially long run, as I can't imagine webOS would draw high licensing fees at this point.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast