Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nToxik
  • 2 Post By aw9d
  1.    #1  
    Ok, after finally receiving my TP after 8 wks of waiting, the first I did was overclock it to 1.5 (uberkernel). Well, the first first thing I did was update it to 3.04xx.

I noticed after the update it was pretty snappy and responsive. I thought for a second "do I really need to overclock it?".. but I went ahead and overclocked it anyway.

After watching a number of utube videos comparing the two, it doesn't look like there's too much of a performance advantage with 1.5...yes it's faster, but in most cases it's like half a second.

Are the risks (if there are any) of keeping it at 1.5Ghz worth it? Any TP users out there satisified with 1.2Ghz (esp with the latest update)?
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    I've not got back to my Touchpad, been travelling the last couple of weeks, so I can't speak for the latest update, but I've been happy with 1.2GHz on 3.02, though I did apply the other common tweaks and patches.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    There is no risk at running at 1.5Ghz as the processor was made to run at 1.5. HP just under clocked it - maybe to give it a performance boost down the road.
    algee650 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    There is no risk at running at 1.5Ghz as the processor was made to run at 1.5. HP just under clocked it - maybe to give it a performance boost down the road.
    Good to know. I did read/hear that it's underclocked but you never know.

Half second better is still better. keeping it at 1.5

Hmmm, now you got me thinking about pushing the envelope and going for 1.7 or 1.9...haha

Thanks!
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Good to know. I did read/hear that it's underclocked but you never know.

Half second better is still better. keeping it at 1.5

Hmmm, now you got me thinking about pushing the envelope and going for 1.7 or 1.9...haha

Thanks!
    its way more than a half second. newbies inexperienced with tablets and especially the finicky tp cant be expected to know the difference.
    I do 1.7 and 1.8... Only use 1.8 when I'm wowing people though cuzz 1.8 gets too hot for mine when its on for too long... I see a different from stock to 1.7 its vary zippy now
    Quote Originally Posted by TableTopFreak View Post
    I do 1.7 and 1.8... Only use 1.8 when I'm wowing people though cuzz 1.8 gets too hot for mine when its on for too long... I see a different from stock to 1.7 its vary zippy now
    100% agree.. I run 1.7 all day, 1.8 for games or to show off.. 1.9 if i want to cook bacon on the back of it.
    1.9 all day...never even feels warm to me and battery is good enough. maybe if i were traveling or something of the sort i will turn it down a notch but F4 kernel maxed out is sweeeeet
    I don't want to make someone nervous but I would not totally rely on the Qualcomm tech paper.

Yes, the chip is designed to run at 1.5 GHz. However, it may not be intended for the Touchpad due to stability or temperature issues. I know that the 64 GB TP is running at 1.5 GHz, but it may have a better cooling or an undervolted processor compared to the 16/32 GB models. If this is not the case, underclocking of the smaller TPs could also be a way to improve the yield rate of the CPUs and thus improving stability.

So, long story short: Only because the Qualcomm tech paper lists the processor at 1.5 GHz standard clock without any worries, it must not be the same for the TP.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    They downclocked the CPU to reduce the power footprint of the CPU.

Apple did the same thing with the iPhone 4S. it's the same processor as in the iPad but at a lower clockrate to save on battery life.

As for the difference between 1.2 and 1.5, I really can't tell the difference. *maybe* some cards take half a second longer to load, but when it comes to page rendering or video watching, the network connection is the bottle neck. touch/screen responsiveness feels the same to me.

I've spend days thinking my touchpad is set to 1.5ghz only to discover I left it on the palm default and vice versa, thought it was on palm default when it was already on 1.5ghz. lol..
    1.2 is fine for me at this point
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I definitely noticed a difference when I went to 1.5 in 3.04. More of a difference I thought compared to 3.02.

3.04 is already faster than 3.02 so when you OC to 1.5, it's noticeably faster. I love how the webpages load much quicker now.
    1.5 is a little faster, but not necessary, so i leave it at 1.2. Plus, it seems like it helps with battery life, although I haven't done a scientific study on the battery issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by netzer119 View Post
    1.9 all day...never even feels warm to me and battery is good enough. maybe if i were traveling or something of the sort i will turn it down a notch but F4 kernel maxed out is sweeeeet
    1.9 all day? I'm calling BS on this.. No offense, but getting 1.9 to bench mark without crashing is hard enough.. Running all day at 1.9ghz, I don't buy it. I'm running F4 and it doesn't go to 1.9, I had to use the F15c to get to 1.9 and its an alpha kernel.

if you found a way, how?
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post
    1.9 all day? I'm calling BS on this.. No offense, but getting 1.9 to bench mark without crashing is hard enough.. Running all day at 1.9ghz, I don't buy it. I'm running F4 and it doesn't go to 1.9, I had to use the F15c to get to 1.9 and its an alpha kernel.

if you found a way, how?
    It's unlikely to be bull****, it doesn't stay at 1.9ghz all day, and all processors are made differently. Some may be unstable at 1.7ghz, some perfect at 1.9ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Blafoo View Post
    I don't want to make someone nervous but I would not totally rely on the Qualcomm tech paper.

Yes, the chip is designed to run at 1.5 GHz. However, it may not be intended for the Touchpad due to stability or temperature issues. I know that the 64 GB TP is running at 1.5 GHz, but it may have a better cooling or an undervolted processor compared to the 16/32 GB models. If this is not the case, underclocking of the smaller TPs could also be a way to improve the yield rate of the CPUs and thus improving stability.

So, long story short: Only because the Qualcomm tech paper lists the processor at 1.5 GHz standard clock without any worries, it must not be the same for the TP.
    The CPU is most efficient at 1.2GHZ, there is a thread on this somewhere on this forum.
    I never overclocked but I wanted to with the patches and before the latest firmware update because of some lag and speed issues. But now that I am back to stock, and with the latest firmware update, I am pleased with the speed and improved battery life. Screw the patches and overclocking; there's not much to do on the TP with the lack of apps anyways.
    As the proud owner of an overheating Compaq(HP) laptop, while I've been tempted to OC my Touchpad, I've refrained from doing so, so far.

(And no, my model isn't one of the ones covered by the class action, last I saw).
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Just my 2 cents, but 1.5 seems more responsive to me on 3.04. It might not be that much on any individual thing but certainly adds up in the long run.
    Under 3.0.2 I was definitely going to overclock. But under 3.0.4 the sluggishness is so much better, particularly the web browser loading speed, that I kind of doubt it is really necessary anymore, at least for me. I am not transcoding video or playing high-end 3D games on the thing and 1.2 seems perfectly fine for the casual browsing and e-mail I mainly use the TP for. It's even fast enough to play HD video without problems at the stock speed.

I also figure that unless I really need it - it is probably not a good idea to mess with the recommended clock speed on a device that I can't cheaply replace. Even if overclocking works fine and is stable and doesn't seem to fry the device immediately, who knows what the thermal differences will do to the device over the long-term? Remember the XBox fiasco? Nobody has done the thermal studies to really know the long-term effects, and if it turns out that overclocking materially shortens the life of the device, then I'd be seriously bummed. If you are planning to buy a new tablet next year regardless, then this isn't much of an issue for you. But I am thinking I could easily still be using this thing in two years, and I'd really like it to live that long.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I noticed an improvement at 1.5Ghz in both 3.0.2 and 3.0.4. Now I run F4 at 1.836 ondemandtcl all the time and wouldn't go back. It's stable and doesn't get hot or use excessive battery, even playing games.

ian