Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Okay, here's the problem I'm trying to solve:

Office situation, wireless routers prohibited by landlord. We have a wired network with Internet access. Am trying to set up a way to put the TouchPad online.

I have gotten my Playbook online by a combination of my Blackberry for email and bluetooth DUN for everything else. TouchPad does not offer this. Nor does TouchPad embrace ad hoc networks. As a result, I've left the TouchPad at home.

Now I've read that there is USBnet with the TouchPad. I seem to have set it up at least to some extent, in that ifconfig on the TouchPad tells me i do have ethernet on usb0 with an address of 192.168.0.202. So far so good.

Likewise, I seem to have gotten it all set up on my Linux notebook, which would be hosting all this. I can certainly ping 192.168.0.202, no problem.

What I cannot do, though, is get anything useful to happen. There is no evidence of either an Internet connection or any other TouchPad-side connection.

I have the sense that I'm either expecting too much -- something useful, say -- from the connection, or I've left something out, probably something obvious.

Has anybody set up a USBnet connection to something other than a telephone?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depscribe View Post
    Okay, here's the problem I'm trying to solve:

Office situation, wireless routers prohibited by landlord. We have a wired network with Internet access. Am trying to set up a way to put the TouchPad online.

I have gotten my Playbook online by a combination of my Blackberry for email and bluetooth DUN for everything else. TouchPad does not offer this. Nor does TouchPad embrace ad hoc networks. As a result, I've left the TouchPad at home.

Now I've read that there is USBnet with the TouchPad. I seem to have set it up at least to some extent, in that ifconfig on the TouchPad tells me i do have ethernet on usb0 with an address of 192.168.0.202. So far so good.

Likewise, I seem to have gotten it all set up on my Linux notebook, which would be hosting all this. I can certainly ping 192.168.0.202, no problem.

What I cannot do, though, is get anything useful to happen. There is no evidence of either an Internet connection or any other TouchPad-side connection.

I have the sense that I'm either expecting too much -- something useful, say -- from the connection, or I've left something out, probably something obvious.

Has anybody set up a USBnet connection to something other than a telephone?

Thanks.
    Have you looked at the wiki on USBnet setup?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Yup. That's how it got as set up as it is. Nothing there to suggest, though, what good it is once it's set up, and one supposes its value is >0 or is supposed to be. Am seeking to locate and use that value. Thanks for the suggestion.