Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So as many of posted, the accelerometer is definitely broken after the 3.0.4 update making certain games unplayable (Asphalt 6 for me). There is a very bad delay between tilting the touchpad and the change being recognized making steering the car nearly impossible which is shame given how cool the game is.

Since upgrading to 3.0.4 I've also noticed a delay when the TP switches between landscape and portrait - it actually feels better because it only switches when I completely rotate and keep it in the new orientation for a second as opposed to 3.0.2 when it might flicker between the orientation when I didn't really mean to.

I wonder if there was a "bug" recorded and "fixed" in 3.0.4 to more accurately respond to changes in orientation (adding a slight delay) and the developers didn't think through the impact that would have on games that require immediate response?

So for those who have upgraded to 3.0.4 - does it seem like there is a slight delay when switching between landscape and portrait as compared to 3.0.2?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    My accelerometer is toast after 3.0.4. Not too big of a deal right now, as the only game I play on it that needs it is Asphalt 6, and I have it on my iPhone too (where I play it more often simply due to size issues).
    xninjagrrl, You say you don't have any accelormeter issues or if they exisit, they're minor. Were you running Uberkernal or other patches before the webOS update? Hardbeatz inferred in a post yesterday that the patches might be responsible for the issues reported by users after the update. That seems plausible. I have the accelerometer issue on Ashphalt 6 and the slow graphics performance on Glyder 2 and Gun Brothers that is solved by minimizing and re-opeing the games but I don't have any of the others described.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmf1947 View Post
    xninjagrrl, You say you don't have any accelormeter issues or if they exisit, they're minor. Were you running Uberkernal or other patches before the webOS update? Hardbeatz inferred in a post yesterday that the patches might be responsible for the issues reported by users after the update. That seems plausible. I have the accelerometer issue on Ashphalt 6 and the slow graphics performance on Glyder 2 and Gun Brothers that is solved by minimizing and re-opeing the games but I don't have any of the others described.
    Yes, I was running a variety of patches including Uberkernel (also the ones from touchpadplus.com and a few others). I removed all of my patches before the update and even some non-patch Preware stuff like that Linux one EOM Overlord Monitoring. I was cautious and removed anything that I thought might interfere. However I did not use that emergency patch removal tool, I just uninstalled my Preware stuff one at a time. Maybe I should have used the emergency removal tool. I dont know.

Gun Bros seems okay. Minimizing and re opening had no effect on Gun Bros but I wasnt noticing any graphic performance issues.

Sound is still messed up on Supersonic HD, I tried your minimize thing but nope.

Pretty sure I've read reports from people who never had Preware installed and they too are having issues with the update, whether it be accelerometer or audio, or unable to open pdf's etc, there seems to be a whole host of issues that HP did not foresee and from what I am reading they cannot replicate. If they cant replicate it there cant be a fix I assume.
    Pros: The pills were there.
    Cons: So was the tank.
    Thanks xninjagrrl, I barreled through the update process without removing patches and I'm thinking that's the source of the problems I'm seeing. It doesn't make sense that the webos engineers would release a flawed accelerometer driver. There might be bugs but I can't imagine they would be that obvious. I think I might try to resintall using the webOs Doctor but find that somewhat intimidating considering the posts about it hanging.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Do your accelerometer issues get any better if you enable rotation lock?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I have acceleromter issues and while I initially did update with patches, I have since doctored (prior to CM7 install), and so my current 3.0.4 install is fresh, without Preware installed even. So, there goes the Uberkernel theory.
    Mize, It seems counter-intuitive to enable rotation lock but I'll try it this evening.
    I don't feel like I've got any issues with my accelerometer, but I generally keep rotation lock on since I felt the sensor was a bit hasty (in changing orientation, not in games). I haven't had trouble playing Supersonic, and can unbork the sound effect problem by toggling sound and music off/on in the settings. This Paratrooper game is addicting.

My fiance's TP seems to behave as it did before 3.0.4. He updated with fewer patches than I did (even though we removed them all before updating).

We both have a variety of patches installed, most of the recommended ones and a few others. Neither of us
    I tired rotation lock off and played asphalt 6 and still am not able to use the accelerometer's to steer..

I do see somewhat of a small lag when rotating the TP normally vs 3.0.2.. however, its not just flipping my screen around all the time like it was on 3.0.2.. so I like that, but man, steering with the touch screen vs. accelerometer sucks!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I can't say if my accelerometer is the same as I don't play many games that use it very often. There is a slight delay after updating to 3.0.4 but it might have been there all along.

I updated after removing all patches and then reapplied them after the update.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I also noticed that normal rotation seemed a bit more stable in 3.0.4 (doesn't randomly change orientation when you just bump it off level like I get in 3.0.2 all the time) and agree that whatever they did to address that in 3.0.4 may be what broke the responsiveness in SDK games. If you don't play such games then you won't really understand what we're talking about.
    If you do, you simply can't miss it. It is absolutely impossible to steer with the accelerometer in Asphalt 6.

ian
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Is the same true in NFS? I don't have Asphalt but do that one and Supersonic. Supersonic is playable. I'll give NFS a shot later.
    I wouldn't be surprised if one aspect of the API changed, like maybe the 'fast accelerometer' support, (something like that, the one that polls more often) is different, and the 'normal' use is the same.

The reason I suspect that maybe it was an intentional change is that the Pre3 accelerometer has pretty much the exact same issue.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Well NFS:HP is playable. Mind you, I suck at it to begin with, but I don't seem any worse with 3.0.4.
    I then performed the following installations in order on one my Touchpads and recorded the results with Glyder 2:
    Unset unInstalled, Remove Touchpad Ripple Uninstalled - Problem
    Unset Installed, Remove Touchpad Ripple Uninstalled - Good
    Unset Installed, Then Remove Touchpad Ripple installed - Problem
    Remove Touchpad Ripple installed, Unset unInstalled - Problem
    Unset unInstalled, Remove Touchpad Ripple Uninstalled - Problem
    Remove Touchpad Ripple installed, Unset unInstalled - Problem
    Remove Touchpad Ripple installed, then Unset Installed - Good

My theory is that "Unset CFQ IO Scheduler" fixes the problem, but has to be installed after "Remove Touchpad Ripple".
    Brian
    Granted I am not a programmer, but I think you theory is right. They changed the setting so there is a delay with it flipping the screen. But I would think there is a way to have that setting only for the screen flipping, not for playing games or something like that. Simply write the logic that the screen only flips when it is turned for a few seconds, but for gaming there should be no delay.

I had 3.02 with the basic patches (no overclocking or any of that) and preware. I removed all patches, did the emergency patch recovery to make sure they were gone, removed preware, then upgraded to 3.04. My Asphalt has the same problem, it is not playable with the delay. A shame because I just bought the game a week before the upgrade came out.
    I have both of my touchpads working now by installing Remove Touchpad Ripple and then installing Unset CFQ IO Scheduler with a Luna Restart after each installation
    Brian
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    For whatever its worth, I never really saw a problem with Glyder 2 (non HD version) or any of the old SDK apps like carpenter's level and such. Only TP specific PDK games showed horrible lag with the accelerometer.

ian
    I had both patches, so I uninstalled then reinstalled the iq patch. The issues sem to be less but it was still bad. Using the onscreen controls is the best course for now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast