Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lmacmil
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything on previous search. I know my Touchpad speakers worked when I first got it, but I tend not to use much in the way of audio feedback. When I tried watching a video today, I noticed that the sound was out; rebooting didn't work, and I do get sound if I plug in headphones, but nothing comes out of the speakers. I even did a WebOS doctor restore to 3.0.4 (no difference) and to 3.0 (again, no difference). Anyone else with this problem?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yes, i have the same exact issue. Sound was fine when I got the TP and all of a sudden when using it one day it stopped. Rebooting, nor the Pulse Audio patch fixes the issue. It is eerily familiar to the problem on the Pre- when it would get "stuck" in headset mode. I can not determine a way to check and see what "mode" it is in. (If anyone has a way to do that, I'd love to know). Of course the other possibility is a hardware issue, but nothing happened to the TP to make it quit. Frustrating! Any body with ideas? I don't want to send the TP in for repair and risk getting a unit that has another problem.
    The sound (from the speakers) on my Touchpad stopped working right after the 3.0.4 upgrade. Not sure if it was due to the upgrade or just noticed it afterwards. I too get audio via the headphone jack but nothing from the speakers. Very frustrating.
    german8401 likes this.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
    The sound (from the speakers) on my Touchpad stopped working right after the 3.0.4 upgrade. Not sure if it was due to the upgrade or just noticed it afterwards. I too get audio via the headphone jack but nothing from the speakers. Very frustrating.
    I had the same issue. What fixed it for me was to do a shut-down, not just a restart. Can't explain why but it fixed it for me.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I had the same problem yesterday. I got my touchpad 2 days ago and update the os to the latest version. After i lost sound and had to restart. Then notice cracking sound while playing angry birds. I also notice it on youtube while watching a video. I contacted HP and told me they also had people calling in about the speaker sound. They said its because of the recent update. They said HP engineer are working on a fix update soon.
    Ive had the same problem with the external speakers not working ever since the latest WebOS upgrade. Ive had the external speakers working maybe once since then. 70% of the time when the external speakers don't work sound can still be heard via headphones. The other 30% of the time the headphones only give me a strange crackling noise

Here is the curious bit. When the external sound works so does the top notification bar. When the external speakers don't work, neither does the top notification bar. I still receive notifications for emails, facebook, twitter etc but pressing anywhere on that notification bar does nothing. I can't even press the wifi button to change wifi connections.

Rebooting, (hard, soft, restoring you name it) using skype to do a test call, even stopping and starting pulseaudio via the preware app some suggest all is fruitless.
    Have you tried rebooting via Settings/Device Info/Restart Options/Device Restart? That's what worked for me (and also uninstalled the TouchVol patch).
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Have you tried rebooting via Settings/Device Info/Restart Options/Device Restart? That's what worked for me (and also uninstalled the TouchVol patch).
    NOPE. Rebooting has never worked for me.
    try running EPR found in Preware. It's going to erase all of your patches, but it worked for me.
    I had this problem before. May be you have installed patch " touch volume " in Preware. Just remove this patch and restart your TP.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Check preware Touch Vol. has been updated to address this issue

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Does anyone know the commands to try to determine what mode the sound is in? Just curious....
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I have a brand new Touchpad and have the exact same issue. I've only had it a few days and after the first time I plugged in my Sennheiser earbuds, the TP speakers are silent. Is this a warranty issue? I don't want to have to reboot or anything like that any time I decide to use headphones. I have updated to 3.0.5 but other than that my TP is brand new.

Also, are these speakers supposed to be decent? I know it's just a tablet so they are very limited. but, if i play the same audio source through my TP and my girlfriend's iPad2, the iPad is much more clear and loud. The TP sounds muffled and basically has zero treble.

Thanks for any help!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I had the same problem RE: system sounds , but something like last.fm wouldn't work.

All I did to fix it was start last.fm let it goto standby mode (screen goes out) and hit volume up.

Hope this helps.

It appears the software volume control only effects system sounds.
    I had the same problem , sound was crackle when playing via built in speaker , then sound went out totally. Not sure what the root cause of the sound problem , but I solved my issue this way. I have a pair of Bluetooth speakers . I went into settings---- bluetooth--- then discovered the Bluetooth speakers. I was then able to play a music file via Bluetooth. I then turned off Bluetooth and was able to play the music file via touchpad speakers. Hope this helps.
    well i think i fixed the problem. I decided to take my touchpad apart and as i suspected the speakers were not properly plugged into the sound board. after getting the screen off I could see the speaker wires was not sitting straight in to it's plug. So I just replugged it removed the bit of black tape added a little hot glue so as to make sure it stays putt. and that's it I now have clear sound coming from my speakers.
    You can google to find many sites on how to remove the screen. once in you will see a plug just above the speaker on the camera side. it will have a red/black and White/Black wires going into it this is the plug that is the problem.

Good Luck everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by bootythang View Post
    I had the same problem , sound was crackle when playing via built in speaker , then sound went out totally. Not sure what the root cause of the sound problem , but I solved my issue this way. I have a pair of Bluetooth speakers . I went into settings---- bluetooth--- then discovered the Bluetooth speakers. I was then able to play a music file via Bluetooth. I then turned off Bluetooth and was able to play the music file via touchpad speakers. Hope this helps.
    Hello, I would recommend not disassembling your Touchpad unless it is your last recourse. In my case, removing the screen didn't seem like a useful approach since I had system sounds through my speakers (that is, the connection was good enough to produce some sounds at least).

In the end, it was the Bluetooth that did it. I have a SoundFreaq speaker that can connect via Bluetooth and I had establish that connection several weeks ago and I forgot. All I had to do was to "reconnect" to my speakers and then turn off Bluetooth and sure enough sound started pouring out of my tiny speakers!!!! Yoohoo
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    We'll, I just got my Touchpad back from Palm/HP. Turned it on, and sounds worked. (bleeps from the volume buttons) - so I know sound was working. Installed CM9 nightly build, and no sound at all. Reboot into WebOS, and NO SOUND. No speaker, no headphone, nothing! So do I try a webos doctor, or am I not seeing a simple fix in all my searching...

ANY ideas??
    Hi

I had a touchpad that also had no sound only on headphones. I installed Adio Switch from preware and just select Back Speaker. For me it works all the time with this procedure. For every restart or some random reason it reverts back to Headset with Mic. Planning to fully erase the pad (not webdoctoring) using the procedure for multi boot and see if it fixes the issue permanently. I will keep you posted.

PS tried audio pulse restarter and all sorts -nothing-this is the only app that works-i suspect a damaged file

Rgs Syl