1.    #1  
    (I blogged this and wanted to share) I'm scouring the TouchPad here @ PreCentral forums for tips, tricks, etc. from the best webOS community. Really liking the TouchPad with some tips you guys have posted. Thanks for helping make it a better tablet!!

Itís pretty sad that something/someone must retire, pass on, etc. before people realize that there was some huge potential that was somehow overlooked. Case in point. Today I received the $150 32GB HP webOS TouchPad that I had purchased in August during HPís unloading and erasing the memory of the TouchPad. The 32GB TouchPad originally retailed @ the same price the iPad 2 retails for ($599). I called it a mistake when I reviewed the TouchPad, and thought the TouchPad would make a killing at a lower price. I was right.

HP made a huge mistake and now itís pretty clear that the TouchPad could easily make a killing in the low-end tablet market. Why not go that route for now? Sometimes success doesnít happen overnight. Ask Steve Jobs! I guarantee if HP came out with a higher end tablet that more closely completes with the iPad 2 it might have a chance. The tablet version of webOS needed some time to grow and work out the bugs, developers had already begun to create amazing apps that many customers wanted and would have been both successful for the Developer as well as HP and webOS, but HP killed what could have been a success because itís first foray in a market it clearly could not compete against Apple at the same retail prices was a mistake by HP. Unfortunately HP got blinded by what they might potentially lose and decided to throw webOS out with the bathwater, so to speak. Itís a shame. As I am playing around with the TouchPad I wish HP could see what I still could see in webOS and how close to it being ďmagicalĒ could have been.

The reason I received the TouchPad months after I purchased it was because HP had to build brand new TouchPads in order to fill the orders it received after it killed off the tablet. If HP doesn't take this as a huge hint of the potential or possibly ruling the low-end tablet market, it will continue to make poor decisions. Hey at least poor decisions is something HP is very good at making.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    WebOS is superior to Android. HP should have leveraged that with superior hardware... instead they came in "me too".

WebOS lacks the polish of IOS, particularly at launch, but they have a product here they could have seriously competed with.
  3.    #3  
    I just find it odd that they would build all these new TouchPads to sell them @ $99 and $149. They could easily undercut the Fire, Amazon is going to do very well, especially with all of Amazon's tied into services. webOS still does things better than the other guys, take a cut like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo do with consoles. Take a hit, grow the platform. There was obviously a "want" @ those sweet prices. I bashed the TouchPad when HP sent it to me for review, it was a joke due to the price. I forgot this thing was coming, it's nice to use webOS again. I gave up my Pre finally and went for the Photon 4G (also have an iPhone 4S). I forgot how well webOS did certain things, and it's a much better esperience @ $150.00.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I actually agree here. WebOS is at the moment far superior to Android when it comes to user experience on a tablet. Hopefully ICS will change this for Android, but I wasn't impressed with 2.3.x user experience on the Touchpad.

I also got 2 HP Veers: 1 for myself an one for my g/f, both replacing Nokia's (my old E71 with uncountable quirks (memory full, menu resetting, menu not working, Exchange disappearing with 999+ emails etc)) and my g/f's very old cheap as$ Nokia 7070.

We're both very happy with it and I love WebOS on it! I now have 5 email accounts setup, all easily accessible from 1 screen
    I said it earlier today in another topic, but I own a Android tablet as well as a TP. and when I use the Android tablet I always find myself trying to swipe to close an app, It seems that webOS has implanted itself in my brain lol. I really love the webOS it seems so natural, I wish it would be given a chance long term.
    Like I've stated here before, webos is the most elegant operating system. Everything seems much more fluid and natural than with android. even on the android phone that I am trying out for a couple weeks, I find myself trying to dot things that came naturally with webos. I think that for sure if more people were able to give webos a shot they would side how elegant it is

I hope people will still have a chance and someone picks up webos.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    I said it earlier today in another topic, but I own a Android tablet as well as a TP. and when I use the Android tablet I always find myself trying to swipe to close an app, It seems that webOS has implanted itself in my brain lol. I really love the webOS it seems so natural, I wish it would be given a chance long term.
    The same thing happened to me. I've bought a TouchPad and then a Pre 3. When I'm using my iPhone 4 I also always try to swipe - w/o success of course

Interesting is that switching from IOS to webOS was very fluent, it just worked - but switching from webOS to another OS always results in some "glitches".
    Anyone can do well if they release a high-end device at a low price. The "want" wasn't for webOS, it was for a quality tablet at well-below market prices.

As an aside, I'd be curious to hear about what was so bad about the OP's test device, the tablet i received in July was a great device and worth the $600+ I paid for it. Aside from missing some promised apps, which is obviously a legitimate complaint but does not take away from the quality of the device.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    In the settings, you can set the upswipe to do that, at least you can in CM7.
    I've had an iPad v1 from it's first days. Now with webOS, I find myself using my touchpad more often than my iPad and I also find myself trying to close apps on the iPad (and my new iPhone 4S) by swiping up.

If webOS lives on, then they should do a marketing campaign where a character mimics webOS's swipe gestures, for example to close an app, in his everyday life. For eg, they could have some character lead guy going thru his day and swiping away detours or events by swiping up and multi-tasking those events as well, all mimicing the touchpad gestures.

I have a feeling, these later runs of continuing to sell the touchpad at firesale prices have ulterior motives and hopefully those involve extending the life of the webOS and hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by tekagnostic View Post
    I have a feeling, these later runs of continuing to sell the touchpad at firesale prices have ulterior motives and hopefully those involve extending the life of the webOS and hardware.
    Sadly I suspect there are no ulterior motives and it's a simple question of 'what's the least costly thing to do with all these parts we've got on hand to build the Touchpads we planned to build until we killed the hardware?' and the answer is its cheaper to build them into Touchpads and sell them at firesale prices than to scrap the parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I just find it odd that they would build all these new TouchPads to sell them @ $99 and $149. They could easily undercut the Fire, Amazon is going to do very well, especially with all of Amazon's tied into services. webOS still does things better than the other guys, take a cut like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo do with consoles. Take a hit, grow the platform. There was obviously a "want" @ those sweet prices. I bashed the TouchPad when HP sent it to me for review, it was a joke due to the price. I forgot this thing was coming, it's nice to use webOS again. I gave up my Pre finally and went for the Photon 4G (also have an iPhone 4S). I forgot how well webOS did certain things, and it's a much better esperience @ $150.00.
    I completely agree; HP should have priced the 16GB at $199 and if that's lower than cost price take the hit for a few months to build both a user and developer base.

It wasn't too long ago that HP were saying the tablet market is 'a marathon not a sprint'. Unfortunately Touchpad was not allowed to get much past the warm-up...
    Quote Originally Posted by techwatcher2 View Post
    Sadly I suspect there are no ulterior motives and it's a simple question of 'what's the least costly thing to do with all these parts we've got on hand to build the Touchpads we planned to build until we killed the hardware?' and the answer is its cheaper to build them into Touchpads and sell them at firesale prices than to scrap the parts.
    I hope we're both right. A couple of events recently made me think more about this. One I called Palm support and they kept assuring me webOS support won't be going away. And I also have to send in my tp for the cracked casing near speaker repair and the cust service guy told me some things I hadn't heard elsewhere. The cs guy said, "hp is aware of the cracked issue" and is trying to find a solution but no guarantees. The cs guy even asked if I wanted to just hold on to the touchpad until they find a solution and send it in then. I chose to send it in and will when the shipping box arrives.

It's possible both are empty assurances meant to calm everyone down until the eventual and complete demise of both the software and hardware but for now I'm going to remain optimistic on this.