1.    #1  
    Until I bought myself the HP touchpad (participating in the fire sale), I had no clue how good the on-screen keyboard's auto correction feature is. I literally just fire away typing without having to worry 90% of times about my mistakes. And this is my first tablet, three days of casual few minutes of typing.

On the PC keyboard I type at around 60 to 70 words per minute. I had tried typing on the iPad and iPad 2 and was really surprised by how fast I could type. But I must say that the HP touchpad's auto correction is immensely satisfying and so is the actual keyboard.

I recently discovered (after 4 days of playing with the new toy) that the keyboard size can be increased by pressing and holding the keyboard icon on the on-screen keyboard. The largest size keyboard suits me the best. I still find typing the C key a bit odd, and often confuse between O and P on my right hand, and R and E on my left hand. I guess practice will make me perfect at the art. The real issue is the habit of letting the little finger on the right hand rest on the ; key on the real keyboard, on tablet keyboards, we often end up hitting the ENTER button instead!!

Does anyone else love their on-screen keyboard?
    Not me.. I have serious issue with TP on-screen keyboard mainly because it is not responsive. I need to press a bit slow and a bit hard to avoid mistakes. I know maybe this is related with my TP screen has unresponsive problem, because I found sometimes the screen stop to respond at all, so I need to turn off and on again to make it normal again. But yet this issue is the biggest problem I had on my TouchPad. And this problem effect the keyboard typing pleasure on my TP. I think physical keyboard like on Pre 3 is the best of all

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I was gonna share the tip about resizing the keyboard right now cuz I just ran into it but i'm glad that someone else already shared it with teh community. You should also add how to resize keyboard in the title somewhere.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Not me.. I have serious issue with TP on-screen keyboard mainly because it is not responsive. I need to press a bit slow and a bit hard to avoid mistakes. I know maybe this is related with my TP screen has unresponsive problem, because I found sometimes the screen stop to respond at all, so I need to turn off and on again to make it normal again. But yet this issue is the biggest problem I had on my TouchPad. And this problem effect the keyboard typing pleasure on my TP. I think physical keyboard like on Pre 3 is the best of all

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Oh! I know that I get easily annoyed by things that lag, but I also am quite good at getting used to keyboards. But trust me, within just a few minutes, I was typing on this tablet's on screen keyboard VERY fast. I noticed NO lag whatsoever. I tried orienting the tablet upside down (landscape, of course) to make sure and I felt no difference. I am running 3.0.4.77 overclocked at 1.5 Ghz on both cores.

Its auto correction, I am in love with it. I speak Marathi (a language spoken in one of the states in India) that uses Devnagari script, so I am also amazed by how easy it is to build a custom library of words in my language that I type in Roman script.

I don't think you have a faulty tablet, perhaps restore and check?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Perhaps it is your typing style. Are you trying to type with the tips or the pads of your fingers? I find that my virtual keyboard is far more inaccurate when I'm pecking away with the tips of my fingers, and I have to hit keys harder. If I consciously type more with the pads of my fingers, it becomes a lot more responsive and accurate.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    You are in the minority here. After the 3.0.4 update, the auto-correct feature went from mildly intrusive to a complete word ****. Interfering and correcting words mid-word while you're typing that you do not want it to correct.

As opposed to waiting until you finish typing and offering suggestions, it now tries to guess what it is you're writing and makes wholesale changes for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    You are in the minority here. After the 3.0.4 update, the auto-correct feature went from mildly intrusive to a complete word ****. Interfering and correcting words mid-word while you're typing that you do not want it to correct.

As opposed to waiting until you finish typing and offering suggestions, it now tries to guess what it is you're writing and makes wholesale changes for you.
    I had to turn off auto-correct after the update. It wouldn't allow me to spell out words I wanted and was just a pain.. the keyboard is nice. I didn't know you could adjust the size of it so that's a neat trick!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Resizing the keyboard made a WORLD of difference for me. I went from making typing mistakes constantly to being able to type out a couple sentences with no mistakes. I haven't turned off Autocorrect yet, but may do so soon as it has become more of a hindrance than a help at this point.
    If you've ever used Thumb Keyboard on an Android tablet, everything else will feel like a distant second to it. I really wish there were third party keyboards available.
  10.    #10  
    I am glad that some of you now know the keyboard re-size trick. It did make a world of a difference for me when I found out.

I updated my firmware right away before I even started typing on the tablet. The auto-correction feature is PRECISELY how it should be, in my opinion. It's very similar to Blackberry's, if you know what I am trying to say. It's watching as you type and as soon as you finish a word, it'll correct it.

The only problem (present inherently even in Blackberry) is -

1) I type a wrong word and I hit a space bar. The auto-correction kicks in by design and corrects the word.

2) I then realize that I need to press back space to type a punctuation mark, say.

3) The moment I hit back space to place my cursor after the last letter of the word, the auto-correction thinks that you didn't like the correction and it sets the word back to the wrong word!

4) This means, I have to re-type the whole word again and put the punctuation mark.

The workaround is not to forget putting punctuation mark, and the auto-correction will then come handy. I don't think it is correcting words mid-word, by the way. Are you sure? I also don't think such a thing can manifest itself in different ways on different tablets
    Quote Originally Posted by billionaiire View Post
    I am glad that some of you now know the keyboard re-size trick. It did make a world of a difference for me when I found out.

I updated my firmware right away before I even started typing on the tablet. The auto-correction feature is PRECISELY how it should be, in my opinion. It's very similar to Blackberry's, if you know what I am trying to say. It's watching as you type and as soon as you finish a word, it'll correct it.

The only problem (present inherently even in Blackberry) is -

1) I type a wrong word and I hit a space bar. The auto-correction kicks in by design and corrects the word.

2) I then realize that I need to press back space to type a punctuation mark, say.

3) The moment I hit back space to place my cursor after the last letter of the word, the auto-correction thinks that you didn't like the correction and it sets the word back to the wrong word!

4) This means, I have to re-type the whole word again and put the punctuation mark.

The workaround is not to forget putting punctuation mark, and the auto-correction will then come handy. I don't think it is correcting words mid-word, by the way. Are you sure? I also don't think such a thing can manifest itself in different ways on different tablets
    You described my pain with punctuation inputs on the touchpad very explicitly!