Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I saw hp realeased an update to 3.0.4.77 for the touchpad.
    Im still on 3.0.2. I believe the easiest way to incorporate the new update with all my patches, preware, and overclocks would be to complete a factory reset and to follow the popular 'Get Started Guide' again, on the front page.

My question is: How do i perform a complete reset on my hp touchpad so it goes back to the default settings that came out of the box?

Thanks!,
    run the webos doctor found at palm.com/rom
    Why do you have to run webos doctor when there is a full reset built in the HP tablet.I
    don't understand. My Toshiba Thrive and Asus TF both have factory resets built in.

HP touchpad also has it. Why webos doctor crap.

To many people are destroying their TP with web doctor and I don't feel like taking that chance.
    Resetting from within the Touchpad will not restore damaged or missing/removed files, the doctor will.
    I wished there would be a good video showing how to use the Webos doctor. I did the preware and it was simple. There is tons of video to show how to do preware. No video or good pages to run webos doctor. That is kind of weird. For some reason I think webos doctor is a HP destroyer. That is why with youtube you can't find one person showing how to use it.

If you have any good links I would like see how it works before I ever would use it.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lespaulman67 View Post
    For some reason I think webos doctor is a HP destroyer..
    You have very strange thoughts. It is also very simple to use, and tells you what to do.
    I downloaded it. Now why is the 12% problem happening. I am running Win7 64bit

Is there a reason these people are bricking their tablets.

Do I need to uninstall the preware or any special patches? HP doesn't tell you that.

Im not over clocked.
    What about USB is there anything special you need to setup in windows for USB not going to sleep during this long process.
  8.    #8  
    i didnt bother to run webos doctor. i just installed the update to 3.0.4 and went to the preware app and installed all the apps that said had updates!

everything works well.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I Now why is the 12% problem happening.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...sue-fixed.html
    The reason I was wanting to doctor was because my tablet is running slower with 3.0.4 the browser loads halfway and it takes for ever. My mail box empty all trash in the trash bin is gone now. When I run preware it doesn't load everytime like my wifi is slow as hell.

Never had any issue till this dumb update 3.0.4. I don't even enjoy using it its so slow on connections. I was so happy with before this and used it over my Android Toshiba Thrive.
    Not anymore.

So if I doctor it I have 50/50 chance it wont make it. I like the tablets that you reinstall from the tablet itself. Not some window crap.
    To many people are destroying their TP with web doctor and I don't feel like taking that chance.
    maybe I've been lucky but been a webos user for almost 2 years now and have never had to use the doctor
    The reason I was wanting to doctor was because my tablet is running slower with 3.0.4 the browser loads halfway and it takes for ever. My mail box empty all trash in the trash bin is gone now. When I run preware it doesn't load everytime like my wifi is slow as hell.

Never had any issue till this dumb update 3.0.4. I don't even enjoy using it its so slow on connections. I was so happy with before this and used it over my Android Toshiba Thrive.
    Not anymore.

So if I doctor it I have 50/50 chance it wont make it. I like the tablets that you reinstall from the tablet itself. Not some window crap.
    How on earth would you reinstall it from the tablet itself? What tablets have a connector for connecting to outside media? *can't think of any, but I don't know the whole tablet market*

Make sure you have the latest Java updates on your computer, download the 3.0.4 doctor (or the 3.0.2, if you want), connect your TouchPad to your computer, start the doctor jar file, hit next a few times, wait 15-20 minutes. When your TouchPad restarts, enter your HP account information, then it will go and download all your apps from the catalog. Takes about 20 minutes for that step, if you have 80 some apps like I do on mine. It's simple, it's not terribly time consuming, and aside from having all your icons not in any custom places you might've put them, it pretty much restores it to the way it was.

If you have anything irreplaceable on your media side, you might want to back that up before doing all of that.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    How on earth would you reinstall it from the tablet itself? What tablets have a connector for connecting to outside media? *can't think of any, but I don't know the whole tablet market*

Make sure you have the latest Java updates on your computer, download the 3.0.4 doctor (or the 3.0.2, if you want), connect your TouchPad to your computer, start the doctor jar file, hit next a few times, wait 15-20 minutes. When your TouchPad restarts, enter your HP account information, then it will go and download all your apps from the catalog. Takes about 20 minutes for that step, if you have 80 some apps like I do on mine. It's simple, it's not terribly time consuming, and aside from having all your icons not in any custom places you might've put them, it pretty much restores it to the way it was.

If you have anything irreplaceable on your media side, you might want to back that up before doing all of that.

Both of my tablets has a full restore built in. I just hit restore and off it goes.

The Hp touchpad has it also. So why webos doctor. The files should not be corrupted.
    I've used webOS doctor MANY times and never had it brick a device. I'm not sure where you get the 50/50 chances thing from, but that would mean for each successful doctoring I've done someone out there got screwed. So far as I know most devices do not keep a stock version of the factory install backed up onboard, they merely revert settings changes and user data is deleted. Maybe I'm wrong, but my non webOS devices like my iPhone and my wife's iPad require factory reset from itunes if I were to mod the software, and my htc phone has a USB debugging mode for a reason...

webOS doctor is safe so long as you are using properly capable equipment. Meaning functional USB cord, port and up to date software.

even a desktop computer requires reinstallation from an external source for factory restores, unless there is a stock restore partition...
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    maybe I've been lucky but been a webos user for almost 2 years now and have never had to use the doctor
    I've only had to doctor devices if I messed things up with poor patch management or my own tinkering. In my first 2 years with webOS I doctored only when I was monkeying around with the UI display and broke it. Lately its been because I want to partition space for ubuntu or remove cm7.... So long as you aren't modifying the OS you shouldn't need to doctor, in my experience.
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyPhono View Post
    I'm not sure where you get the 50/50 chances thing from
    That's easy, he has no idea what he's talking about. I've doctored many phones/tablets the past two years. Saying it's a 50/50 bricking thing is complete BS.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 10/23/2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Both of my tablets has a full restore built in. I just hit restore and off it goes.

The Hp touchpad has it also. So why webos doctor. The files should not be corrupted.
    If your permanent storage on the device gets corrupted, then your restore system would also be corrupted, and how would you recover from that?

Also, consider that if you had an extra gig taken up on a 16gig unit, for storing the backup copy of everything, that would kind of suck, too.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Hi,

Do you mean if I do a reset from the device then Doctor it all the patch will be erased ?
    I did it before applying the update to 3.04. So Erase, Doctor 3.02, initialize the HP then when all the apps where downloaded apply the 3.04 update.
    Unfortunately some patches looks like they are still on the Touchpad like the email panel (only two instead of 3 by default) and others....
    I wanted to go back to factory state.
    well mine updated to 3.04 now it the web browser comes up with a white screen ;(
    Quote Originally Posted by fragger View Post
    well mine updated to 3.04 now it the web browser comes up with a white screen ;(
    Did you install the private browsing patch? There was an error last night that was giving this same problem. I uninstalled the patch and it was fine. The patch maker has already fixed the error, though I am not sure if it is available yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast