Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #2  
    Would loading W8 onto a TP be a similair process to CM7 or Ubuntu?
  2. matchqq's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #3  
    I really hope HP would make a miracle turn and keep making webOS devices. Now they've got the user base and good customer experience of webOS. I think what it lacks is only the selection of apps to compete with other OS.

    But what's interesting is that it is the discontinuation of webOS devices that keeps developers from other OS from porting their apps into webos, which is always the reason why they refuse to do so when we ask them to port their apps to webOS. With the user base and ours willing to pay for apps, resuscitate webOS so bring more apps to make it complete should not be such a hard decision.
  3. #4  
    Samsung or HTC should make the hardware for webOS. Forget HP, lets get some one that will develop good hardware.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  4. Heist's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #5  
    Touchpad to get Window 8.

    Touchpad to get infinitely crappy shortly after install or release.
  5. #6  
    What would be neat is when ordering a TP you can choose which OS you want install . . . Win 8 or WebOS.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  6. #7  
    Just because they're using a Touchpad for some internal testing of Windows 8 doesn't mean that Win8 will be released for it. It's the only ARM tablet that they at HP, and they have it in abundance, so of course they'd be doing some testing on it.

    But most likely that testing is only to decide whether or not to make future Win8 ARM tablets. I would say with 99.9% certainty that there is no way that the Touchpad will ever run Win8 as a consumer product.
  7. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just because they're using a Touchpad for some internal testing of Windows 8 doesn't mean that Win8 will be released for it. It's the only ARM tablet that they at HP, and they have it in abundance, so of course they'd be doing some testing on it.

    But most likely that testing is only to decide whether or not to make future Win8 ARM tablets. I would say with 99.9% certainty that there is no way that the Touchpad will ever run Win8 as a consumer product.
    But whats to stop some enterprising felow to figure his own to way to shoehorn w8 onto the tp a la cm7?
  8. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneelbeforezod View Post
    But whats to stop some enterprising felow to figure his own to way to shoehorn w8 onto the tp a la cm7?
    Well, the fact that Windows 8 isn't open-source. I mean, I highly doubt that MS will sell the ARM versions directly to consumers like with past versions of Windows. With how tightly integrated the hardware is on an ARM device, they'll just sell the ARM version to the hardware manufacturers, and good luck not only finding a device with the exact same hardware as the Touchpad but also in finding a way to get that software installed on the Touchpad.
  9. sejgiul's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    Samsung or HTC should make the hardware for webOS. Forget HP, lets get some one that will develop good hardware.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Says the guy with a TouchPad... The hardware is fine, TouchPad is great and so is the Pre 3. Solid hardware, especially the pre 3, sliding mechanism is best I've seen on any phone as is the keyboard. A lot can be said about hp, but they did make some good products before deciding to abandon the hardware..

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
  10. #11  
    windows 8 is horrid looking, id take webos any day of the week. also the more time that goes by with no one purchasing webos from HP the more i know it's a dead operating system now.
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    I really hope HP would make a miracle turn and keep making webOS devices. Now they've got the user base and good customer experience of webOS. I think what it lacks is only the selection of apps to compete with other OS.

    But what's interesting is that it is the discontinuation of webOS devices that keeps developers from other OS from porting their apps into webos, which is always the reason why they refuse to do so when we ask them to port their apps to webOS. With the user base and ours willing to pay for apps, resuscitate webOS so bring more apps to make it complete should not be such a hard decision.
    i dont see how having ports of OS's that utterly replace webOS as being beneficial toward webOS.

    This shoudl be apparant from the hordes of droid/cyanogen lovers we already have on the forums, and their increasing responses to posts that suggest the "solution" to many issues is simply "use android, dump webOS".

    Lots of "i have found a way to do xyz it SIMPLY requires using ABC/XYZ on android" as if its some kind of serious "fix" for a webOS user.

    not helpful in the long run.
  12. #13  
    Should I add: when/if Android is viable on Touchpad, people will start yelling because it has bugs and the OS lags !

    At least, some people will come back to webos seeing that it is not what they where waiting for...

    People, I run a full Linux OS in a CARD without eating much on the ram, meaning I still can do whatever I want on the side !!! That's enough for me to stick with webOS !
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
  13. T-Pad's Avatar
    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    What would be neat is when ordering a TP you can choose which OS you want install . . . Win 8 or WebOS.
    I'd prefer a triple boot system with webOS, ICS and Win8 - of course webOS being the default

Posting Permissions