Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    As everyone knows, there have been a ton of major issues since the 3.04 update, such as:

- randomly triggered distorted audio
    - randomly triggered slow, sluggish response
    - delayed accelerometer in some games
    - badly behaving text assist
    - random complete lockups
    - randomly triggered poor battery life
    - general instability

Overall, this update was not ready for prime time and frankly, I wish they hadn't released it as IMO the issues outweigh the benefits and the clock may be running out on getting them fixed by HP. The fact that there is no way to force a TP NOT to update eventually is really not cool (yes, I know there is a fix for this, but my GF who is 2500 miles away from me can't do that, nor can the average user).

Anyway, I made an interesting observation which is related to at least a few of the above issues:

When the TP is feeling sluggish or, for instance, you are finding that Gun Bros is unplayable at the moment, pause it and go into Govnah. You probably notice that one of your cores is hung at max. Something in the OS is crashing and hosing one of the cores. A restart will fix this and many of the other issues, but since the update it's one thing after another.

I know for a fact that this is not the cause of the issues with the audio, text assist or the accelerometer as I have seen each of those issues with both cores acting normally (in fact, my audio just decided to go south again as I write this).

But the random sluggish response is directly related to this and it is very likely that if you're seeing abnormal battery drain that one of your cores is stuck. I don't know the cause. I wish there was a "task manager" that would allow me to see the lower level OS modules and kill the one that is causing this, but I do not know of a "task manager" for WebOS.

Even if you're just on the desktop and you see that the panels aren't animating well or seeing terrible performance in a game, pause and go into Govnah and check that both cores go back to 192 and 0 after a second or two. If one of the cores is stuck flat out at 1.188 (or 1512 with uberkernel), you're seeing the same issue.

Can anyone else confirm that when your TP is acting sluggish that one of your cores is hung?
    actually haven't experienced any of the problems you've listed above. I play gun bros daily and use tunein daily as well. No lag or audio issues

edit: forgot to mention my standby battery has been pretty good too. I have It charged to 100% over night and unplug to take to school. Sometimes I don't pull it out till 7 hours into my day and it still says 100%. Been using the browser(heavy browsing, videos/flash etc) for the past 3 hours and I'm Down to 72%
    Last edited by uprisingchuns; 10/22/2011 at 01:15 PM.
    MercuryCrest likes this.
    Only thing I noticed was the text assist messed up which I never used anyways, I like all of the improvements.
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    everything is A-OK for me on 3.04
    Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    everything is A-OK for me on 3.04
    Including accelerometer in games?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies. But I'm asking for people to reply IF THEY ARE SEEING SLUGGISH PERFORMANCE or other issues since the 3.04 update. Please, don't reply to this thread if you're not having any issues. That's great for you. However, many of us (notice the threads in the forum lately?) are experiencing some or many of the same issues since the 3.04 update. Please, only reply to this thread if you're experiencing sluggish preformance or battery drain issues since the 3.04 update and you checked for a stuck core in Govnah during the issue or can add other useful observations/info regarding the randomly hosed core, thanks!
    Last edited by jayteeee; 10/22/2011 at 03:00 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kero View Post
    Including accelerometer in games?
    There is no doubt that the accelerometer delay is a common issue being reported by tons of people here, on the HP forum and it's even being mentioned in revised reviews for Asphalt 6 and others. I have to believe that anyone who says they don't see that issue doesn't have one of those games. I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has Asphalt 6 with the 3.04 WebOS update who's accelerometer controls AREN'T hosed. But again, the accelerometer issue doesn't seem to be *directly* related to the randomly hosed core. It may have something in common with it, but there is not a direct cause/effect relationship according to my own test results.
    Last edited by jayteeee; 10/22/2011 at 02:58 AM.
    You started off with a pretty open question:

Has ANYONE noticed the hosed core?

Then state:

As EVERYONE KNOWS there have been a ton of major issues since the 3.04 update, such as: ......

Then it's sounding to me like you're getting mad at people that don't have the issue and that they should have known better than to reply with something that disagrees with your statement.

Perhaps you might have been a little more clear in your first post?

I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist, but CLEARLY, not EVERYONE knows.

FWIW, have you doctored fresh after OTA update?

It may be worth a shot. One thing for certain, 3.0.4 was the first OTA update, since 1.3.5, that continuously lost connection with the server (I counted ~6-8 breaks during the download)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    fxspec06 and LinuxKoss like this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    while I agree that there are issues, I disagree that the update is no good and to be avoided. I also had problems with 3.0.2 and think the improvements in the update outweigh the problems which are fairly easily overcome. I have not had to restart my TP for a couple days now and enjoy it daily. All OS's have bugs and are imperfect, the question you need to ask yourself is if the overall experience is worth it to you, and if not, then its time to look elsewhere.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    I have to agree, poorly worded starter post and not clear as to intent.
    Making statements as if they are fact (when clearly they are not) ensures that you will get responses from people who do not experience the problems. And there is no way you are going to successfully ban differing views from a public forum.
    Personally I have NONE of the problems listed.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    I think the fact that OP is talking about govnah and probably has other various softwares installed that might cause bad things to happen, is probably quite telling. I've got two TouchPad here, one completely stock 3.0.4 and one running F4 overclocked with a small handful of patches (the most useful ones haven't been ported over yet), and neither of them are having any of these problems. I'd s ay this release is 100% win.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    geekpeter and LinuxKoss like this.
    they are interesting issues people are having, im in the boat that has no issues with accelerometer or any other issues mentioned.

Youd expect that if were all holding the same hardware that wed all have identical issues, even the original mentions that the touchpad was clunky and laggy/etc on the original 3.0, mine was perfectly fine even back then and its still fine now.

Makes u wonder whats happening with all these major differences in updating/operation the world over.

My Update:
    Left all patches on (27 of them) except Touchpad Glass Theme.

Issues:
    None
    Last edited by geekpeter; 10/22/2011 at 08:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayteeee View Post
    Thanks for the replies. But I'm asking for people to reply IF THEY ARE SEEING SLUGGISH PERFORMANCE or other issues since the 3.04 update.
    Why ignore users that are not having problems? There seems to be a lot of ground between experiences with some users having no problems and some having nothing but problems. It seems to me that gathering as much feedback as possible would give better odds at understanding what is happening and why.
    Perhaps asking users to provide some detail about how they upgraded, what patches or mods were they running, and what charge or usage patterns they have will provide some idea of common traits among users.

Lee
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    i've had the audio issue but not the others. Remove increase volume patch and it hasn't come back.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Accelerometer hasn't only affected the games but also screen orientation switching significantly at least in my TP. There's a noticeable lag.

I wish there could be a patch for this
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    they are interesting issues people are having, im in the boat that has no issues with accelerometer or any other issues mentioned.

Youd expect that if were all holding the same hardware that wed all have identical issues, even the original mentions that the touchpad was clunky and laggy/etc on the original 3.0, mine was perfectly fine even back then and its still fine now.

Makes u wonder whats happening with all these major differences in updating/operation the world over.

My Update:
    Left all patches on (27 of them) except Touchpad Glass Theme.

Issues:
    None
    Same here.
    I doctored to 3.0.2, then immediately OTA'd to 3.0.4, no problems here. The gf's had a couple of patches on it (she hasn't even noticed that they aren't there anymore, but has definitely noticed a significant performance boost), otherwise is a straight 3.0.0 -> OTA 3.0.2 -> OTA 3.0.4.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Horribly worded title, bad assumptions in the first post, then only wants to hear voices that reinforce his beliefs. Yikes. This is how we get threads assuming there are cracks in all touchpads, etc. Bad thinking. 3.04's been ok for me. A few apps don't seem to like it (preader, etc).
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    I had issues in 3.0.4. I doctored and its been peaches since, except for text assist.

hp -needs- to fix text assist. It worked in 3.0.2 and its unquestionably broken now. Typing is better with it, so turning it off isn't an ideal solution, but it is impossible to type this post with it on right now. Hope hp gets busy handling it soon.....
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    mibaksh and sledge007 like this.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate
    It worked in 3.0.2 and its unquestionably broken now.
    unquestionably broken? It works for me on mine.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast