Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Auto correct on 3.0.4 sucks balls. It is too aggressive. It keeps changing K A L E M S O F T to Wilkerson or some **** like that. HTF do I turn it off? Or atleast make it less aggressive?
    Last edited by saintforlife; 10/21/2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    auto correct on 3.0.4 sucks balls. It is too aggressive. It keeps changing K A L E M S O F T to Wilkerson or some **** like that. HTF do I turn it off? Or atleast make it less aggressive?
    open launcher go to settings then text assist then auto correct off.
    Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    I don't want it off, I would love for it to revert back to before. Arg!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by werkx View Post
    I don't want it off, I would love for it to revert back to before. Arg!!
    So you agree that something changed in 3.0.4 with regards to auto correct? The TP has become bottom line unusable for me for posting on forums because I am not a very good touch typist and when I tried using it a few times after upgrading, sometimes I couldn't understand what I had typed because auto correct had went ahead and changed my words. I am old school and still getting used to the virtual keyboard and in the meanwhile the over aggressive auto correct has become annoying.
    Try resetting your TP, can't hurt. Mine was fine for a while then went crazy, but reset seems to help.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Sometimes if you don't type a long word fast enough, it thinks you misspelled a shorter word and auto-corrects. It is very annoying.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I have autocorrect off but have issue with shortcuts. For example, I added a shortcut of 'r'='are'. But when I try to type a word like 'reinstall', it types 'areinstall'! So very annoying.
    Most people know how to write a few words.. so WHY did HP think it such a brilliant move to foist this ridiculous 'Auto***Kup' on us!

Ah yes.. THAT'S how HP 'thinks'!!

Sussed!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/22/2011 at 02:02 AM.
    lol see my Sig. (this is all I can type :-( short stuff)
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    Auto correct on 3.0.4 sucks balls.
    I agree. As a software developer, I can't understand how this was published. It is complete garbage and a huge step back from auto-correct in 3.0.2. So much for functional testing before deployment...

Lee
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    what I find odd is that it's fine in some apps, but horrible in the forums.

PS - why didn't it act up just now??
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's quite random. My previous post was a nightmare to complete. But now it's perfectly fine or was like in prior 3.0.2. Wish I know what I did. Since my last post in this thread.. Wait it's starting again as I'm finishing... Wait it stopped... *** is going on? I'm so confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by werkx View Post
    Yeah, it's quite random. My previous post was a nightmare to complete. But now it's perfectly fine or was like in prior 3.0.2. Wish I know what I did. Since my last post in this thread.. Wait it's starting again as I'm finishing... Wait it stopped... *** is going on? I'm so confused.
    Since 3.0.4 seems to run faster than 3.0.2, I wonder if it is the same auto correct logic (although I use that term loosely) is now just reacting faster so it appears to be working differently. In the past we likely kept typing beyond its ability to try different "fixes".
    until 3.0.4 it never tried to auto-correct in the middle of a word. it always waited until you hit space. now it randomly tries to correct while you're still typing, and completely butchers the word. I've not figured what makes it start doing that, because it just seems to come and go. I'm typing right now from a win pc, but earlier this morning I typed several forum posts on my TP without issue. Yesterday afternoon though auto-correct was crazy and I had a heck of a time completing a single post; I think I gave up about half-way through and just posted what I had.

I do find when it goes crazy that typing REALLY fast seems to keep it at bay until I finish the word, but of course typing that fast I may mis-type so bad the auto-correct doesn't know what I meant and I'm back to square one.

I'm sure hoping someone can figure out what is going on and make a patch to fix this.

BTW, is anyone with a completely stock TouchPad running 3.0.4 seeing this as well?
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    until 3.0.4 it never tried to auto-correct in the middle of a word. it always waited until you hit space. now it randomly tries to correct while you're still typing, and completely butchers the word.
    Aaaah, that's it - today I was chatting very much the first time since having installed 3.0.4, sometimes I thought I was typing too fast because some characters were missing, but most probably it was working as you have described.

Anyway I'm thinking about switching it off; in German language it often makes very funny translations while not knowing many basic words.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    it's pretty useless as a spellchecker.. doesn't even have a suggestion window on a possible selection of words to select from. seems it makes typing more difficult with it on. even just a couple letters wrong it will auto fill a totally different word.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    today is kept butchering and intercepting the word "independent" about 10 times. I was becoming so enraged I felt I was about to fling it across the room.

oh and why doesn't it capitalize the first letter of a word after a line break or at the beginning of a new paragraph?

see each new paragraph in my reply as an example.

oh one more thing, no period insertion if I double tap the space bar. IOs and blackberry do this which I find very convenient. I can't even set up a custom function in the text assist to do this
    I just turned mine off. It too drove me nuts.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    turned mine off.

stupid.
    off.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast