1.    #1  
    I just received my two TPs I ordered from SMB. Neither one has working wifi. I have a dozen access points around me and neither picks up any. I read on this forum that turning off/on LCD in battery mode will turn on wifi, and that WORKS-- I can then see all access points. But it immediately turns off again before I can join any network. I doctored both from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 but same problem.

Are both TPs hardware defective? Do I stand a prayer of HP sending me new ones?

PS it's not the router or anything like that.

Also, is there a way to totally eradicate any/all settings from 3.0.2 that may be the problem? I thought doctoring did that...

Starmanj
    It's the router, first use setup WiFi is tempermental.

When I first set mine up I couldn't get it to maintain WiFi connection, I had to turn off my encryption to get through setup. After that I could turn back on the encryption and everything has been good since.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starmanj View Post
    I just received my two TPs I ordered from SMB. Neither one has working wifi. I have a dozen access points around me and neither picks up any. I read on this forum that turning off/on LCD in battery mode will turn on wifi, and that WORKS-- I can then see all access points. But it immediately turns off again before I can join any network. I doctored both from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 but same problem.

Are both TPs hardware defective? Do I stand a prayer of HP sending me new ones?

PS it's not the router or anything like that.

Also, is there a way to totally eradicate any/all settings from 3.0.2 that may be the problem? I thought doctoring did that...

Starmanj

Is your battery at 100% charge?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Starmanj
    Doctoring only does the OS portion of the TouchPad. Kinda made that way so you don't loose all of your Data when you need to fix the OS.

Device Info > Reset Options > Choose your poisen

Maybe try the Apps & Data one first
  5.    #5  
    kenmitch-- I tried that, no joy. baghdad bob-- you are a troll.

It's NOT the router--TPs either pick up all 12 routers around me or nothing at all. When the routers appear after turning off the screen for a minute (implying the wifi is inactive until the wake-up state demands the chipset active), I try connecting to open, wep and WPA networks-- they all fail as the wifi turns itself off immediately.

I think these two consecutive serial numbers are a bad batch of wifi chipsets. Looks like a return warranty...

Shocking nobody else has seen this problem, it is mentioned elsewhere with no solution.
    NM
    Do you get a message that says IP Configuration failed? If so, reboot your router and then try and connect again.
    Sounds like they could be broken, but I've had to do a set up 4 times now on two different Touchpads (don't ask). Each time, I went thru the initial set up, the TP would not recognize the wireless network. This last time, I think I must of re-started the pad and the router each at least a dozen times before it took...I was so scared I had broken something..

The first time I ever did it, I was so angry frustrated.. I called the support line..and they couldn't help me..I had the thing boxed up and ready to go back to Staples as defective.. and just on a whim I tried it one last time.... and what you know ...it worked and I was able to finish the set up.

Wifi support is buggy on the TP in my experience.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    My unit from Onsale was working for 3 days and then the WIFI was flaky.
    I called HP support and went thru the entire series of troubleshooting efforts, I knew the hardware had a problem but I wanted them to give me their determination. They finally offered me three options to repair... I took them up on the FREE with 7-10 day turnaround.
    Well... I got the unit back this past Wednesday... AND - they didn't fix anything.
    My TP with WIFI will work when installed on my Touchstone directly less than 2 feet away from my router. The minute I take the TP off the Touchstone, NO INTERNET CONNECTION.
  10.    #10  
    bugsnt,
    Do you mean you show NO routers on your TP, or it sees routers but won't connect? My TP won't show ANY routers unless I cycle LCD on/off. It seems the WebOS must send a "wake-up" to the chipset to see anything. It worked for one of the TPs so I got through the initial setup, but as soon as I upgraded to 3.0.4 it went away again.

The problem isn't a router (don't know why people keep suggesting that) since the TP's wifi picks up all 12 routers around me or nothing at all.
    Look, nobody is going to want to help you if you don't want to receive help.

You come here asking a question, but you say "it's NOT the routers."

Well, if you're so much smarter than everybody else, then why come here and ask any questions?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

People short hand it as a problem with the router..but I think it's better to say it's a communication or compatibility issue between the TP and a router. There is at least one thread out there on this issue in the forums... Different ideas have been put forward, as to why this happens - with different solutions and levels of success - but I don't think HP has formally recognized or addressed it as such. Not all people seem to be having this problem.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    [ ... ] but I don't think HP has formally recognized or addressed it as such. Not all people seem to be having this problem.
    It's not a problem. Your router broadcasts signals, and if those signals aren't received by the TouchPad, then it will never be able to connect. What can you do? You can keep trying every TouchPad on the planet, or attempt to change the signal that is being broadcast so your TouchPad can properly detect and receive it. It's not rocket science.

Obviously there is interference between the TouchPad and the router, otherwise it would be receiving it cleanly.

Interference can take many forms, and not all Wifi works at the same frequency. This does not mean there is a problem, it means you need to change the broadcast signal to the correct frequency.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

14.    #14  
    I say it's not the router because it's not, fxspec06. I ask in case anyone has experienced and solved this problem. IF you read my posts carefully I explained why it's not the routers. And I have solved the problem now. I will post the solution separately to share this knowledge. Solution comes from various tips from other boards (in particular, putting the TP to sleep and waking up will wake up a dead wifi chipset). Moral is, some WebOS pre-installs are bad/buggy.

Solution to those particular WebOS loads that cannot activate wifi for activation:

1) Charge the TP fully overnight, it must be at 100% charge
    2) UNPLUG the TP (it won't send wifi chipset wakeup if it's plugged in)
    3) Turn on LCD to activate via setup process. The Wifi lists show NO routers for the models with this problem.
    4) Turn off LCD via tapping power button.
    5) Wait one minute
    6) Turn on LCD; TP will say "wifi is off", it will come alive and ALL routers will suddenly appear.
    7) Quickly choose router and type in WEP/WPA/WPA2 key.
    8) TP should then activate and wifi will forever stay on.

Took me 4 days of trial and error to uncover this method, it's worked on two "wifi dead" TPs so far. And as I have been saying, it has NOTHING to do with the routers.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    bugsnt,
    Do you mean you show NO routers on your TP, or it sees routers but won't connect? My TP won't show ANY routers unless I cycle LCD on/off. It seems the WebOS must send a "wake-up" to the chipset to see anything. It worked for one of the TPs so I got through the initial setup, but as soon as I upgraded to 3.0.4 it went away again.

The problem isn't a router (don't know why people keep suggesting that) since the TP's wifi picks up all 12 routers around me or nothing at all.
    starmanj,
    Yes, after I remove my TP off of my Touchstone, all I see are either 3 dots across the top indicator for Wifi signal strength OR sometimes only the bottom two indicators on. Even with HP support, they tried to tell me that my wireless network was problematic. I went along with this just so that I could have assurance from them that they had exhausted ALL available options; they finally caved and then offered me my SRO. They even went as far as to suggest that my cordless phone was interferring (I told them I didn't think so since I bought a DECT 6.0 phone so that it wouldn't) and then I even went to my local public library for the free WIFI hotspot to test it. Yup - dead ...can't even connect to an open WIFI hotspot.

My adventure with the TP continues... I called HP support an hour after receiving my "newly repaired" unit; same serial number and all. I can only "use" the unit when it is in the Touchstone in a particular angle/spot. They started the whole, let's verify your unit and then assuring me that I had another 300+ days of warranty coverage left; no consolation to me at all. Then jumped into; let's try to troubleshoot your unit. I firmly told him NO... I'm not wasting any more of my time or efforts, I demanded to speak to a supervisor... well shorten story - I got them to offer me the Advanced Exchange Option and waiving the $59 fee and they gave me a 50% off for the hold on my cc for the value of my 32GB TP... lol

Well... I'm waiting for the replacement unit at this point in time.

Glad that you worked out your issue but WIFI issues do exist for these TP.