1.    #1  
    I've tried being patient, but now I'm a little annoyed. I understand there is some "doctor" app/software that would allow me to get the update, like, when I ask for it. But I still can't fathom why the "stock" behavior of updates is so ... not working?

Every time I've tried to "Download now" in System Updates, it chugs for a few minutes, but always comes back with "Unable to connect. Try again later." I've done this dozens of times since Tuesday. Nada. Nothin'.

Does anyone know what the real problem is?

I have a stock 32G, just a few weeks old.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Reboot it and try again.. Mine's been harping me to update for days and days.. I wish I was in your shoes right now.
    did you plug charger in?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Maybe HP's servers are bit overloaded.
    Doesn't the WebOS run on a number of devices, not just the Touchpad. Could be an issue of too many people trying to ping the dedicated servers.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I've been fully charged, unplugged and plugged. I've heard the "overloaded server" issue before - and given how woefully unprepared HP was for their own <i>planned</i> fire sale to the America employees, that's a very viable possibility. But 3 days later, still?

AW9D - you don't want the update?

I just did a Restart - interesting now when I go to System Updates, all by itself it says it's currently downloading. That's different behavior. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Chris
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by touchpad4760 View Post
    I just did a Restart - interesting now when I go to System Updates, all by itself it says it's currently downloading. That's different behavior. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Chris
    Nope, still crapped out with "Unable to connect. Try again later."
    Try to doctor to 3.0.4 =)
    Last edited by slamdunksaliby; 10/21/2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Have you verified your internet connection? Can you browse web and the HP App catalog?
    i was just able to this morning on 1 and they still hasn't connected yet.. it's just the servers
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Did you manually change for the hulu patch?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFly View Post
    Have you verified your internet connection? Can you browse web and the HP App catalog?
    Yes, definitely web connected, no issues there.

No patches, no preware (yet).

-C
    Quote Originally Posted by touchpad4760 View Post
    Nope, still crapped out with "Unable to connect. Try again later."
    If you want to try the Doctor, look for "New Touchpad? Here's your Get Started guide." The first part will tell you how to run the Doctor. Be sure your TP is fully charged before starting.

As suggested in one of the prior posts, you should check your internet connection, try web search or HP app catalog.
    Honestly, I say doctor it.

I got the update OTA and still had to doctor it to get rid of some wierd bugs that popped up when I did it.

A quick doctor and a few minutes later, and I'm back in business happy as can be.

I know it goes against my usual advice, but in -this- case, just doctor it and move on.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I agree, just doctor. First boot is like starting your TP as if you just got it out of the box
  15.    #15  
    OK, cutting to the chase, I'm stuck at 12% on the HP webOS Doctor Build Hp.80.77

What do I do next?

The longer story is one of cursing and incredulity at how pathetic this upgrade path has been.

Earlier today when my TP was still working w/ 3.0.2, I chatted w/ HP/webOS help, and they confirmed using the Doctor was the way to go.

I had downloaded (but not launched) the application a couple days ago. I went to launch it on my desktop, but it kept giving me Unable to Launch Application. So, I downloaded again, and this time launched it directly (didn't Save it to my desktop), and that seemed to work.

Oh, but while this was happening? Guess what - my TP notifies me that 3.0.4 has downloaded and is ready for install!! (what are the odds?) So, I decided to accept it. While after a bit of time, it came back and said Install Failed, Try Again Later.

But then guess what? The touch screen no longer registered touches! No touch anywhere was acknowledged! I did a few resets (holding power button and center button), but when it came out of reset, it still wouldn't register any touches.

So, I tried the power button + 15-20 presses of center button. That shut it down. From there I was able to go into USB mode.

Then I followed the onscreen directions of Doctor, and got to the connection part, and it did some installs, and then the Next button became active.

I clicked it, and here we are. Still stuck at 12% after all this typing.

So, next suggestion?

thanks,
    Chris
    Read the WebOS Internals recovery wiki page.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Was your TP a demo unit?
  18.    #18  
    It's not a demo unit. It's from the recent batch that was sold to US employees.

So, I got on a chat last night with webOS support, and long story short they had me unplug the device from the USB port while it was stuck at 12% (yes, despite the on-screen warnings from Doctor that it might damage the device).

Rebooted the TP (still no screen touch capability), and put it back in USB mode.

The Doctor detected that the device had been unplugged and gave the option to Retry. I clicked that, and it immediately re-prompted to connect the device.

This time it progressed all the way to completion, and my TP is back up and running at 3.0.4

FYI.