Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    After reading about all the issues I am having second thoughts about updating at all.
    Am I being overcautious? from reading this forum, it seems the patch broke more than it fixed.
    you want the updates.
    OldSkoolVWLover and 2wings like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you want the updates.
    Care to elaborate? I like my TP now, and am reading about so many issues, why take the chance?
    My Touchpad was borderline unusable before the update, even with all the Preware patches and things installed. I had constant lag on the keyboard that prevented me from being able to type at all virtually, and the audio would cut off and I'd need to reboot the device at least every day. The update fixes all this and more. The Touchpad is finally a usable tablet that doesn't make me want to throw it at the wall in frustration.
    Leave well alone,I updated and lost more than I gained.
    If YOU are HAPPY with YOUR TP right NOW, don't update. Wait till things settle down some and update then. I updated and don't really notice a huge difference. Like you, I was happy with my TP so maybe that's why I don't see the difference.

If you do update though, there really isn't any issues you should be worried about. I haven't encountered any major issues.
    DeadVim likes this.
    I still have not updated.. sure things get fixed, but others break. So far what is holding me back
    lack of OC.. I guess you can go 1.5 now, but 1.8 is what i'm wanting.. I'm waiting for the kernels to be fully done and not use beta.
    accelarometer's not working in a lot of games such as NFS and Asphalt6.

Seems like its 50/50. my wifes touchpad is updated and stock, works great but can't play asphalt. Mine is 3.0.2 and fully patched/tweaked, runs fine, never reboots.. I do get keyboard lag but I use a bluetooth keyboard from Imac I have at work and its fine.. plus i'm at 1.8ghz and hitting 97-99 in benchmarks.

If it ain't broke, don'f fix it is my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    After reading about all the issues I am having second thoughts about updating at all.
    Am I being overcautious? from reading this forum, it seems the patch broke more than it fixed.
    Seems faster to me, and the browser also seems more responsive. Glad I updated, but do as u please.
    I say update, but honestly, I recommend doing it with the webOS doctor.... When I went from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 with the onboard update, some stuff went reasonably screwy.

A quick doctor visit handled everything and I wouldn't go back to 3.0.2 under any circumstances .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    funjoy77 likes this.
    Based on what I've seen, the updates are mostly very positive. However, in retrospect I wish I'd waited a bit for the churn to settle down before jumping. I normally don't jump on the bleeding edge of anything but got tempted this time. If I were to hold off though, I'll do that mod to remove execute permissions from the update routine to assure that the update didn't get pushed on me until I was ready (removed kernel and patches). Wanting to do it on my own terms was the main reason I went ahead. But I think holding off at least a week or two might have been wise in retrospect.
    fmarcanojr and DeadVim like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Based on what I've seen, the updates are mostly very positive. However, in retrospect I wish I'd waited a bit for the churn to settle down before jumping. I normally don't jump on the bleeding edge of anything but got tempted this time. If I were to hold off though, I'll do that mod to remove execute permissions from the update routine to assure that the update didn't get pushed on me until I was ready (removed kernel and patches). Wanting to do it on my own terms was the main reason I went ahead. But I think holding off at least a week or two might have been wise in retrospect.
    I haven't updated yet. Just been too busy at work and with family. And, I stay in touch with webOS Internals everyday. The latest tweet from them is that approx. 31 patches/programs are compatible with 3.04. So, eventually when the dust settles I will take the plunge and dive right in. No worries. If anything, I just hope and wish HP CEO Meg Whitman reaches a decision about the future of webOS. Cheers.
    Overall, the new 3.0.4 firmware is better than the old one. I did experienced the audio crackling at first then I do a full restart and it fixed it. The auto-typos correction was aggressive at first but after using the keyboard for awhile, it's acting much more normal now. The only thing is that a lot of the patches and overclocking kernels are still not updated for 3.0.4 yet so your touchpad might run slower than it is now after the update. My suggestion is to wait for a few more days till the overclocking kernels and more patches in Preware are released for 3.0.4. If you dont care about overclocking and installing all your previous patches then by all mean update. Either way, the new firmware is better than the old and I ain't going back.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Black TouchPad 32Gb running smooth @1.8Ghz/F15c kernel - White Veer-DigitalUnlock(ed)
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I didn't encounter significant issues with the update. I have been monitoring the bug thread and it seems like the two most significant things people are reporting are the touchstone no longer working with 3rd party cases and accelerometer problems with the driving games like need for speed that were tuned to the earlier accelerometer settings. Some people are having issues with the update which are more serious, like splashtop problems, but those issues don't seem to be widespread.

I do think the update is definitely worth doing. I am now running stock everything with no patches, logging minimal, and I think the TP is better than it was with all the homebrew patches on it under 3.0.2. It seems generally more stable and the browser performance seems noticeably better, and that is probably 70-80% of what I do with the TP. I did the update on my wife's TP too without incident.

Note: I have not tried overclocking yet, so my comparison is 3.0.2 patched with the stock kernel vs. 3.0.4 (unpatched except for logging minimal).
    Care to elaborate? I like my TP now, and am reading about so many issues, why take the chance?
    Always, you will hear more from those that have something go wrong than those that don't.

In general, those of us that have been around for a while know what comes with OTA updates and we choose to make our decision based on that (please read my signature). I will say the majority of users will have no issues with the update (you just don't hear from them).

Go back in time before the fire sale around here and the 3.0.2 update, I don't think there were really any threads of people having issues. You are hearing mainly from folks that are new to this process and don't fully understand what goes along with an OTA.

I will add to all that, the common themes I am seeing for people having problems is OCing, CM7, and linux installed. So if any of those apply to you, spend some time researching the best way to deal with those and an OTA.

From what I have heard there are already a couple OC kernels in the testing feeds for 3.0.4. One of the other common complaints is not being able to OC right after update. This is because the folks that work on those kernels WILL NOT release them into the public feeds until they are deemed safe. This takes time (just like patch updates) because all the devs get the OTA update the same time you get it, so they cannot begin writing code and testing until that day.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    3.0.4 is amazing. My TP is way faster, smoother and the battery actually lasts longer.
    People on here crack me up...What issues? There's literally TWO issues I've heard about. Neither of them seem significant at all unless you use your touchpad solely to play video games. It's a system update. It updated the system. Everything is better, faster etc. Why wouldn't you upgrade.

This is similar to people making threads worried about their touchpad cracking at the speaker. You have to understand how the internet, especially message boards, work. People are only gonna make posts about problems. No one is going to make a post talking about how everything went as expected.

Cliffs:
    -The update is awesome...
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyFizzoli View Post
    People on here crack me up...What issues? There's literally TWO issues I've heard about. Neither of them seem significant at all unless you use your touchpad solely to play video games. It's a system update. It updated the system. Everything is better, faster etc. Why wouldn't you upgrade.

This is similar to people making threads worried about their touchpad cracking at the speaker. You have to understand how the internet, especially message boards, work. People are only gonna make posts about problems. No one is going to make a post talking about how everything went as expected.
    Uh... more than one person has complained that post update they had a failure to boot. This isn't the norm - we're hearing far more people with no problems - but it's not a zero probability either.
    My wifes touchpad didn't update smooth with the OTA.. I had to download WebosDr and do it that way to get a much better install.. I'd suggest to people who don't like it or have weird issues to use the webos Dr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Uh... more than one person has complained that post update they had a failure to boot. This isn't the norm - we're hearing far more people with no problems - but it's not a zero probability either.
    Well we also hear from people who have failure to boot PRE-update. Let's face it...because of the firesale, the average TP user is not that bright and probably did something wrong if it will not boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyFizzoli View Post
    Well we also hear from people who have failure to boot PRE-update. Let's face it...because of the firesale, the average TP user is not that bright and probably did something wrong if it will not boot.
    I'm not sure what a user can do to force a TP not to reboot - but I will admit that the patch itself may not be causing the failure to boot - but rebooting is required post patch - and not rebooting while things are working fine is another option.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast