1.    #1  
    Hello, i have a question about the File Structure of the Web OS and how is the webdoctor reinstalling the OS.
    my question is.. can i delete the whole Linux structure on the Touchpad and then run the PS doctor to restore a fresh copy of the OS from 0???
    i have the impression that some files are not being fully erased (some log files remain) even after a full erase of the files and then an installation of te OS using the webos doctor...

so.. for running the OS doctor.. i'm guessing it works like a normal PC.. where you have a firmware hardcoded on the chipset and that's what's used to connect the OS doctor interface...

then, once you reset the touchpad using the up volume you are ok to install the new OS... having deleted all the file structure of Linux... and hence.. reinstalling a whole fresh copy of webOS...

cause i'm thinking that WebOS doctor does not format the storage unit before installing a new copy....

can someone confirm?

thanks!!!
  2.    #2  
    i guess... what i'm asking is ... can i do an "rm-r *" while i'm in "/" and having root permissions?

thanks!
    Do a full erase and then doctor.

-- Rod
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Do a full erase and then doctor.

-- Rod
    thanks!! u r the man!
    I'm new to linux myself, what are the commands you need to run for this process in the terminal window to do the full erase? Thanks.
    Device Info App -> Reset Options -> ....
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Device Info App -> Reset Options -> ....
    Hi,

Do you mean if I do a reset from the device then Doctor it all the patch will be erased ?
    I did it before applying the update to 3.04. So Erase, Doctor 3.02, initialize the HP then when all the apps where downloaded apply the 3.04 update.
    Unfortunately some patches looks like they are still on the Touchpad like the email panel (only two instead of 3 by default) and others....
    I wanted to go back to factory state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trankiloo View Post
    Do you mean if I do a reset from the device then Doctor it all the patch will be erased ?
    I said full erase, not reset.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I said full erase, not reset.

-- Rod
    So what should I do in order to restore the TouchPad like it's getting out of factory ?
    So what should I do in order to restore the TouchPad like it's getting out of factory ?
    Have you read post #3 in this single-page thread?

-- Rod
    Have you read post #3 in this single-page thread?

-- Rod
    This is what I did full erase (in 3.02) then doctor (3.02) the Touchpad (it was in 3.02). Then after the doctor, I let all the applications reinstall after I did add my WebOS account and then apply the update (3.04). But some patches where still there and active : 2 panes on email, homebrew tab... The "only" thing I didn't is uninstall the patches. I'm hoping to be able to have the TouchPad back to factory with the 3.04 FW. In plus, there is not scan of the content available in the Flash by applications/OS. If I do add mp3 in the mp3 folder the application does see it or pdf in the documents folder it's not visible by acrobat. I need to use Internals Pro to have access to the files and open them it's ok for pdf but for mp3 not convenient.
    This is what I did full erase (in 3.02) then doctor (3.02) the Touchpad (it was in 3.02). Then after the doctor, I let all the applications reinstall after I did add my WebOS account and then apply the update (3.04). But some patches where still there and active : 2 panes on email, homebrew tab...
    Homebrew tab is saved as part of your profile. It's also not a patch.

-- Rod
    Homebrew tab is saved as part of your profile. It's also not a patch.

-- Rod
    Do you know where/how is it possible to delete this information from the profile or how to know which patch are save in the profile ?
    Would it be possible to have in Preware information saying that this patch does sync with the profile.
    Thank you Rob for your help.
    Thank you Rob for your help.
    Fyi, his name is Rod, not Rob.

Do you know where/how is it possible to delete this information from the profile or how to know which patch are save in the profile ?
    Would it be possible to have in Preware information saying that this patch does sync with the profile.
    Rod is the ultimate authority around here, but for one thing, if you REALLY want to start with a fresh slate, then you could just create an entirely new webOS profile after you do the full erase and the doctoring.

Note that in general there is little to no ability to manipulate your webOS profile.
    Last edited by sq5; 10/24/2011 at 06:20 AM.
    Oops I'm really Sorry Rod (too much NES in my mind). Thank you SQ5 ;-)
    Using another profile will be not a good solution as I did purchase application in the store.

I will checkout again with the full erase again (secure one) with a Doctor. I did before reinstall most of the patches I've got before (some are not available now) then uninstall them. Will see what will happen.

Thank You Very Much Guys For Your Help.
    Oops I'm really Sorry Rod (too much NES in my mind). Thank you SQ5 ;-)
    Using another profile will be not a good solution as I did purchase application in the store.

I will checkout again with the full erase again (secure one) with a Doctor. I did before reinstall most of the patches I've got before (some are not available now) then uninstall them. Will see what will happen.

Thank You Very Much Guys For Your Help.
    Just after all of those operation, WebOS during the initialization asked the country, WebOS account I did it and asked me if I wanted to restore all or only the application. I did select only application then all the settings will be wiped I presume when I will add new settings.