webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Stuck on Bootscreen (Pulsing HP Logo)
Stuck on Bootscreen (Pulsing HP Logo)
Like Tree2Likes

Old 10/21/2011, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all. Sorry that my second post on here is a request for help, but technology is oh so lovely. (Can't wait for the age of intelligent "self healing" machines).

Machine abstract:
16GB TP running 3.0.4
Formally running 3.0.2 w/Warthog and all the "Getting Started" tweaks. Tweaks were not removed before 3.0.4 update. 3.0.4 was overlaid and all tweaks were automatically disabled.

Steps That Lead to the Problem:
I installed 3.0.4 a few days ago and my TP was running perfectly until this morning when I opened PreWare to see if any updates were available. I received a slew of error messages in the update and compatibility check which I dismissed. PreWare then moved on to the next step and hung-up on the "Reading Saved Packages" check. The progress circle spun for about 15 minutes before I closed the application.

I went to Youtube next and noticed that my audio had become distorted. The sound was grainy and scratchy. I toggled Beats audio Off/On again which did not solve the condition. I guessed the PreWare "Boost Audio Lite" patch I installed under 3.0.2 perhaps may be the suspect, so I rebooted.

Shutdown was normal. Restart appeared to have no problems initially but it has now been ~40 minutes as of the time of this post and I am still stuck on the HP logo screen. The HP Icon is pulsing and every 10 seconds the speakers emit a soft "schhhht" sound. Basically the same sound you hear when flicking a card away to close an app.

I cannot shut the Touchpad off or get it to go into USB drive mode. I've tried numerous ways (see below). Worse, I cannot get WebDoctor or my computer to see my HP. I'm completely stuck. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Solutions Tried Thus Far:
- Hold power button 20 seconds (failed)
- Hold power + volume up (failed)
- Hold power + home (failed)
- Plug into A/C power barrel and wait (failed)
- Plug into USB on my laptop (failed)
- Leave it alone (failed)
- Curse at it (failed)
- Insult it and its developers (failed)
- Threaten that I'd replace it with an Ipad2 it doesn't start acting right (failed)
- Plead and rationalize with it (failed)
Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2011, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Hi all. Sorry that my second post on here is a request for help, but technology is oh so lovely. (Can't wait for the age of intelligent "self healing" machines).
I chatted w/palm support recently. Here is one shutdown method I learned (probably only to be used when standard shutdown methods don't work) that you might try.

While holding power button, click or tap the center home button 15 times.

That shut down my touchpad when it was in usb mode (big usb symbol on screen).

Good luck.
tekAgnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Heist
Old 10/21/2011, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good news and bad news.

The Good News: Thank you Tekagnostic, your solution work. It knocked it out of the boot loop. I can now get it to go into USB mode.

The Bad News: Upon reboot, it went right back into the boot loop.
It appears the only option is to do a completely fresh install of WebOS which will erase all my settings and personal content. <dammit : Sam Jackson voice>
Old 10/21/2011, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Good news and bad news.

The Good News: Thank you Tekagnostic, your solution work. It knocked it out of the boot loop. I can now get it to go into USB mode.

The Bad News: Upon reboot, it went right back into the boot loop.
It appears the only option is to do a completely fresh install of WebOS which will erase all my settings and personal content. <dammit : Sam Jackson voice>
You're welcome. Fyi, some things were backed up and will be restored, like any purchased apps, but unfortunately not any personal content. Good luck again.
Old 10/21/2011, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekagnostic View Post
You're welcome. Fyi, some things were backed up and will be restored, like any purchased apps, but unfortunately not any personal content. Good luck again.
Strangely enough ALL my personal data is back on the device in the same location!
Music, movies, pictures that I uploaded and downloaded. All there.

I didn't know the HP back-up saves personal data too? Or did I just get lucky through some fortunate technical anomaly.

Someone could really learn something from this <cough IOS reinstall, cough Apple, cough>.
Old 10/21/2011, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Strangely enough ALL my personal data is back on the device in the same location!

I didn't know the HP back-up saves personal data too? Or did I just get lucky through some fortunate technical anomaly.

Someone could really learn something from this <cough IOS reinstall, cough Apple, cough>.
Good to hear. Actually I did full erase before my reinstall of the latest webos doctor so that accounts for some of the differences in our experiences.
Old 10/21/2011, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

webOS doctor only messes with the OS partitions and leaves your data alone. You can wipe your data if needed tho. Think it's under device info>other options ???
kenmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Heist
Old 10/21/2011, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmitch View Post
webOS doctor only messes with the OS partitions and leaves your data alone. You can wipe your data if needed tho. Think it's under device info>other options ???
Brilliant. Many OS's should learn from this. Nothing worse than having to DFU your iPhone and put it into recovery to reinstall IOS, only to loose EVERYTHING in the process.

Last edited by Heist; 10/21/2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10/21/2011, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Heist, I concur. I'm a recent owner of my first ever iphone (4s) so that came with the latest iOS but my year old plus iPad v.1 was recently updated to the latest iOS and I was not pleased to see all my old emails were gone. They were mostly backed up on my email client on my laptop but still, webOS scores big in my book with this option.
Old 10/21/2011, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Update:
Went through the PreWare install again. Booted it up and guess what; PreWare still got stuck on Reading ....

However, this time I was able to reboot cleanly.

I wonder what is going on and if it is a conflicting tweak that worked under 3.0.2, how do I jettison it if I cannot get past the check.
Old 10/21/2011, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Heist, perhaps trying it with a full erase before reinstalling webos doctor? As kenmitch said "webOS doctor only messes with the OS partitions and leaves your data alone. You can wipe your data if needed tho. Think it's under device info>". That is where I chose full erase from under device info, reset options. In my case, it seemed the only things that were not deleted were things like bookmarks in the browser, previously purchased apps and maybe a couple of other things I can't remember. But any patches I had done were gone and no placeholders were there for them. I wonder if you still have placeholders or some remenant of your previous install, that are contributing to the problem. That's about all I can think of right now.

There's another thread I find interesting and that I'm also keeping my eye that might be relevant. In that thread, someone proposed manually deleting the whole linux directory structure. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3218114
Old 10/21/2011, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

There's another thread I find interesting and that I'm also keeping my eye that might be relevant. In that thread, someone proposed manually deleting the whole linux directory structure. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3218114
Probably a little too advanced for me.
But I'll keep an eye on it.
I'm going to miss Internalz. That was a very handy file viewing tool.
Old 10/21/2011, 05:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well, i just experienced my first stuck at 'Reading saved Package list'. Funny, I had just seen ncinerate's updated startup guide for 3.04 and wanted to see which patches I could apply now. Really there were only a couple listed and I only did the unthrottle one first which required a reboot. After that reboot and after trying to go into preware again, is when the stuck at 'Reading' occurred.

For now, a reboot took care of the problem. I used the hold power, tap 15 times on center button, which ended up taking some screenshots but on the 15th tap, shut me down. I then started up again and was able to get into preware next time without any problem. I also noticed I had my cable plugged into the touchpad during all this time but not plugged into my laptop. Don't think that is the reason for everyone but I've unplugged it now. I've gone into preware at least twice more since without any further problems.

Also, why miss internalz. You should be able to grab it again. I downloaded internalz pro from preware after the 3.04 update. Pro is the same but 'more advanced' per it's description. Works fine for me.
Old 10/21/2011, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

Also, why miss internalz. You should be able to grab it again. I downloaded internalz pro from preware after the 3.04 update. Pro is the same but 'more advanced' per it's description. Works fine for me.
I can't get into PreWare to get it. My Preware gets stuck on "Reading" and all I can do after that is flick it closed.
Is there a backdoor?
Old 10/21/2011, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Heist, sorry, I didn't know the 'stuck at Reading' problem continues for you. Swiping it to close it is probably better than rebooting. I'll keep that in mind if I get it again. So far I've only gotten that one time.

As for possibly getting internalz elsewhere, possibly try webos quick install. I just went in there to grab something called touchvol and looked for internalz. But possibly since I already have it installed, it no longer shows as a choice. I think preware is like that too. Once you install it from webos quickinstall, the listing no longer shows it under apps to install and instead you find it under device managment menu item. Hope that stuck error is resolved for you soon.
Old 10/22/2011, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

that may work. Will have to try it later.
Old 10/28/2011, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks PreWare. This will now be the 5th time this happened I had to install everything - AGAIN.
I want the 4 hours of my life I've spent on this nonsense back.
Old 10/28/2011, 05:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Make sure you have the latest novacom drivers installed. Also, sometimes uninstalling your novacom driver or pdk/SDK installation AMD reinstalling it completely after a reboot on your computer will help.

Make sure you have a uncorrupted webdoctor image downloaded. Sometimes it becomes corrupted as it is transfered to your computer over the internet. Delete the old image before starting a new download.

Make sure you leave the touchpad on the charger for a few hours. Then press and Hold both the volume up button In Addition to the power button. Hold them down until it reboots. Then plug in and doctor it.

Edit: Also check out the homebrew app called Restore/Save. All of this should not take four hours.

You said you were using warthog. This is a beta kernel, and if you so not understand and follow proper beta testing procedures you NEED to use uberkernal instead. Save everyone the trouble and the blame. There is a reason it is in the beta feeds, and a reason people do wait or uninstall homebrew software BEFORE updating to a new webOS version over the air.

There is nothing wrong with uberkernal, or using public release homebrew software. It should be as trouble free as homebrew could realistically get. Beta is not ment to be trouble free, it is for testers to find problems and report them to the developer for fixing.

Last edited by LinuxKoss; 10/28/2011 at 07:09 PM.
LinuxKoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 10/28/2011, 07:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks PreWare. This will now be the 5th time this happened I had to install everything - AGAIN.
I want the 4 hours of my life I've spent on this nonsense back.
Not Preware's fault, just saying.

You've got some other issue, Preware itself is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
You said you were using warthog. This is a beta kernel, and if you so not understand and follow proper beta testing procedures you NEED to use uberkernal instead. Save everyone the trouble and the blame. There is a reason it is in the beta feeds, and a reason people do wait or uninstall homebrew software BEFORE updating to a new webOS version over the air.

There is nothing wrong with uberkernal, or using public release homebrew software. It should be as trouble free as homebrew could realistically get. Beta is not ment to be trouble free, it is for testers to find problems and report them to the developer for fixing.
Like!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by LinuxKoss likes this.
Old 10/28/2011, 10:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
Make sure you have the latest novacom drivers installed. Also, sometimes uninstalling your novacom driver or pdk/SDK installation AMD reinstalling it completely after a reboot on your computer will help.

Make sure you have a uncorrupted webdoctor image downloaded. Sometimes it becomes corrupted as it is transfered to your computer over the internet. Delete the old image before starting a new download.

Make sure you leave the touchpad on the charger for a few hours. Then press and Hold both the volume up button In Addition to the power button. Hold them down until it reboots. Then plug in and doctor it.

Edit: Also check out the homebrew app called Restore/Save. All of this should not take four hours.

I don't recall where I said I am on Warthog? I've been off Warthog since the 3.0.4. release.
As a matter of fact I haven't used any overclock up until 3 days ago when I decided to install the updated Uber.

I was saying 4 hours in total based on the 5x I had to reinstall, redownload, reconfigure.
I thought it might have been a bad WebDoctor so I downloaded a new copy 3 tries ago.

Nonetheless, I'm back up and running (for now). Just hoping the next time I open up PreWare I don't get stuck on the "Reading Saved .... " screen because I know what's going to happen when I shut down and try to reboot, or even do a Luna restart.

I'll look into the Restore/Save app. Thanks for the lead.

Tags
fml, stuck on boot logo, stuck on bootscreen

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0